Trip to Alaska Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Trip to Alaska « Previous Next »

Greg Roberts (Gregeagle20) (24.175.223.137)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 5:55 pm:   

I am planning a trip to Alaska for summer of 2004 and have a few questions.

First of all, anyone interested in making the round trip in 21 days is welcome to travel along in a caravan with me. Would be a blast to get to know some of you characters.

Questions for those who have made the trip:
1) I am most likely taking a route through Raton-Casper-Great Falls- Calgary and on up the eastern route and I am interested in what the elevation changes are like. Is there some big elevation changes in my route from South Texas to Alaska?

2) What are the best overnight spots that you recommend? I will likely travel 10-12 hours per day and would like to enjoy the evenings in the recommended places.

3) Would you drive hard and get to Alaska and spend more time or would you go at a more relaxed pace along the way?

I am serious about the caravan thing so if anyone wants to get on board with this trip, speak up and let's plan it out!!
two dogs (66.90.216.171)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   

unless it's changed a bunch lately...it's wildeness...if you have a flat,you fix it,BIG gravel on the roads...tears up stuff like the equalizer between tanks,pounds metal fuel lines closed..(not trying to rain on your parade)
two dogs (66.90.213.41)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   

The trip from south Texas.go west on I-10,then up 5 in calif.no mountains till you get out of calif. wash. & oregon pretty, some climbing nothing serious..any other route,ya' got some serious hills..
my sister-in-law&her new husband rented a new motorhome in Wash. they made it half way to alaska & had to spend their honeymoon rideing back in the motorhome at a 30 degree angle...behind a wrecker..you are a big boy now,you do what you want.

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   

Thanks for your input dog. Any others with experience to share? I am taking the Raton route to pick up my brother.
Lee (24.237.195.184)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   

I've made the trip twice (living in Anchorage now). The roads are pretty good. Lots of construction going on in the summer (with lots of gravel in the construction zones), but I enjoyed the trip both times. Once was in summer on a motorcycle and last time in mid winter in a schoolie pulling a pickup. Don't let them scare you off. It is a good trip with beautiful scenery and a lot of wildlife. I would suggest taking your time, though. If you try to "make time", you will probably end up breaking something. There are a lot of "whoop-te-doos" on the road due to freeze-thaw cycles. If you go slower, they don't bother a thing. Most of the highway is good pavement.
I am leaving Alaska in late July for Spokane, Washington to start building a retirement home.
It is a great trip and well worth doing. Have fun.
jmaxwell (66.42.92.21)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 11:48 pm:   

S. Texas to Alaska and back in 21 days can in no way lead to a relaxed trip. I suggest you not blink along the way; u may miss the only bear in the state. U do yourself an injustice by rushing such a trip. The scenery and sights of several thousand miles of previously un-explored country (by you) cannot be taken in with a passing glance.
Derek (24.66.241.23)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 4:47 am:   

If going through Calgary, you'll likely want to come up through Montana/Idaho. British Colubmbia has some nasty hills (up to 15%). Alberta is pretty calm, and the Alaska highway is pretty civilised. I have only travelled about 2 hours north of Fort St John on the Alaska highway, that's where my knowlage stops.
Don KS/TX (65.141.166.211)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 6:45 am:   

Greg, I strongly indorse the advice of jmaxwell and lee above, especially in the 21 days category. Don't even try it in 21 days unless all you want to do is have bragging rights that you made it in that amount of time. Just too darned much to enjoy along the way! I realize it is hell to pull yourself away from the Rio Grande Valley for that long, but try anyway.
Greg Roberts (Gregeagle20) (66.7.134.190)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:16 am:   

Some good answers guys. Darn work just makes it hard to take off for such a long stretch but I suppose I could break it up into a couple of periods with a month or so in between.

How does this sound?
Take two weeks to drive to Anchorage in early June. Store the coach and fly back to South Texas to catch up on work and then fly back to Anchorage in late August. Then take a full week to explore central and lower Alaska and then two week drive back with a different route. This would give me a total of 5 weeks to do the trip. What do you think guys?

Anyone heading that direction at that time?
Jim Stacy (12.87.108.109)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:47 am:   

We went last year in a 57 day caravan leaving from North Washington State. We were busy most of the time with only two or three "days off" for fishing or side trips. Total mileage from MI was over 13,000 (not counting our flight to Point Barrow). We had a few aggressive driving days. I can't imagine 21 days total. I know folks have made it in less than 3 months but even the shortest caravans are over thirty days fron Prince George, BC and they are a real rush.

If you want a more reasonable trip, do Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone (best the first week of June) Glacier, Jasper and Banff. We saw the most anumals in Yellowstone and the prettiest scenery in Banff, Lake Louise area.

It's all good in Alaska and the roads aren't bad but there are a LOT of very steep short climbs there. Good luck.

Jim Stacy
Henry Draper (146.129.147.36)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 1:22 pm:   

Hi Greg,

I, like you, want to go to Alaska some day, but it sounds like you, nor I, have enough TIME to do it right now.

If you reach that decision, then I heartily endorse Jim's suggested alternative. I've been to all those places and they're wonderful! (I really have to dicipline myself to keep trying OTHER places, and not go only to Glacier, Banff, etc.)

To Jim's list, I'll add--since you'll be out here anyway--the Oregon Coast!

I'm heading out on another five-week, cross-country trip at the end of this month--visiting family and friends, viewing this glorious country. I'm getting very excited. I'll have a GREAT time, but I'd rather be spending that time in the places mentioned above.

My two cents.
Henry Draper
'64 Eagle (soon heading east!)
Edmonds, WA
claimjumper (208.186.110.242)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 7:05 pm:   

>>>I to have been to AK on extended trips but used airplanes to make the trip and still did not have the time I wanted or needed. Last trip was in 90 for 30 days traveling by private aircraft daily, weather was great (last weeks of july and aug.) and still not enough time>>> :(Dan
JohnC (12.106.199.118)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 8:57 pm:   

I took a 40' coach to Alaska two years ago. Jmaxwell hit the nail on the head. British Columbia would be a more reasonable goal for 21 days, and give you a taste of what lies ahead.
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.69)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 10:29 pm:   

If it was me, I would take a hard look at US 83 all the way north to the Yellowhead (highway 16) in Manitoba, from Edmonton to Dawson Creek where you would join the Alaska Highway.

I don't think that you would see much running at elevation on that route, but you would see a bunch of two lane, and it might not be real fast.

It looks like over 4000 miles one way, so if you averaged 500 miles a day, that would take 16 of your 21 days. Maybe not impossible, but it's something I wouldn't be interested in trying.

Good luck!

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 10:31 pm:   

Doggone it you guys are popping my bubble. Well, I just have to listen to the wise voices of experience. If I do it before retirement I will just have to break it up into several multiple week periods. Thanks for all of your input!
Derek (24.66.241.23)

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 2:02 am:   

Greg: Not all hope is lose. Like many have suggested, BC and Alberta makes a great trip. Vancouver, Banff, Calgary, Edmonton... If you ever decide, I have a list of all the places you will want to see.. and be able to access with any Eagle out there.
Greg Roberts (Gregeagle20) (66.7.134.190)

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 9:48 am:   

Derek,
Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on it!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration