Diesel Fired Systems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Diesel Fired Systems « Previous Next »

Chris (157.130.118.2)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   

I'm designing a system that would utilize a Webasto diesel fired boiler to provide heat, and an Aquahot or Toyotomi Oil Miser to heat drinking/shower water... I would like to be able to heat the water with some kind of heat exchanger right off the radiator. This would allow me to have hot water while the coach is mobile without wasting diesel by firing up the Aquahot. It would also help the coach run a bit cooler. Now for the question:

Where can I get one?
two dogs (66.90.216.30)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   

I saw a small one in a van conversion,seemed like it heated about 10 gallons..it was a water tank,with coiled copper radiator water runing through it.....
two dogs (66.90.216.30)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

one idea..get a air tank,(harber frieght)get a roll of 3/8 copper,wind it around & around the outside ,insulate it tee off heater hose,go to one end of copper,tee off other heater hose,to other end of copper...it'd be a lot better if you could find a stainless tank...
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.2)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:57 pm:   

An RV or marine water heater with an engine heat exchanger may suit your needs for heating the water while driving, but if you are trying to heat the water while running only the Webasto you should be aware that it would take a few hours since the heat pipe off the cooling system only attaches to the outside of the water heater for a few inches.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
john marbury (Jmarbury) (65.100.118.82)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   

I believe the aqua-hot already has that capability. It is piped thru the bus water system thus providing hot water if you've been driving the bus.
John

Ps. sorry Ian, I forgot again.
John
two dogs (66.90.216.189)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 7:30 pm:   

I been thinking..you could take your present water heater,remove the outer shell & insulation,wrap the roll of copper tubeing,re-install the insulation & outer shell.I bet that would work.
Chris (68.61.104.53)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 9:31 pm:   

The biggest thing im concerned with is contamination. Ethylene glycol is some nasty stuff, it totally dehydrates tissue it comes in contact with. The copper coil idea is great, it reminds me of what's called a "wort chiller," only in reverse (I brew beer, it's basically a copper winding you run cold water through to rapidly chill the beginnings of beer). Hey, wait a sec.. a stainless steel keg would work great. That would probably drop the pressure, (and hence, the boiling point) of the coolant, though. And if it somehow got contaminated, it would wreak havoc on anyone who drank it. If the Aqua hot already has the capability, that would be a huge bonus. What about the Toyotomi?
sunny (68.61.104.53)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 9:41 pm:   

hi,my name is sunny..im chris' wife and i have absolutely no clue what you guys are talking about...lol!!! however, im responsible for derailing his train of thought...hehe...therefore he wanted to say thank-you for the helpful ideas (again)!
two dogs (66.90.222.114)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 9:43 pm:   

I don't understand..my way..anti-freeze doesn't come in contact with water
two dogs (66.90.222.114)

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 9:48 pm:   

pretty girls always break my concentration

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration