Colder than Freon Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Colder than Freon « Previous Next »

Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach) (204.245.228.228)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 10:00 am:   

I just received in the mail an advertisement for a product that claims to be "colder than freon".

It is a product from www.maxifrig.com It is supposed to be a direct replacement for R-12 and HFC-134A. It is also supposed to cool better and do it less expensively.

Do any of you know anything about this product?

Thanks.

Mark O.
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.90.28)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:46 am:   

Mark,

Make sure it is not one of those inflammable products. There were some on the market just after the R-12/134a fiasco and they were Butane based. Worked ok as long as you didn't have a leak!!!!

Some dishonest a/c repair people have been known to "top-off" a low R-12 system with butane and charge the customer for the real stuff.

Peter.
Jim McHenry (68.112.212.177)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 8:45 pm:   

Refrigerants sold under the names of 'Duracool 12a,' 'HC-12a,' 'OZ-12,' 'Envirosafe,' 'MaxiFrig,' and 'Permafreeze' are flammable refrigerants and are not EPA approved substitutes.
FAST FRED (67.75.103.110)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 6:03 am:   

However the mix of 90% propane and 10% butane works better by about 15% than the F 12 did .

The new junk works 15% or more WORSE than the F12 did .

In the "old days" most coach systems would leak a couple of cans of freon a week. That much flamable gas leaking could be a problem, if you store your coach inside.

FAST FRED
Johnny (63.159.125.129)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 2:00 pm:   

I have several converted systems running R-134a, & all blow cold. My daily driver is a black 1979 Cadillac de Ville, with a maroon interior--even with 90 degree days & 90% humidity, it stays comfortable. It's using the original hoses, the factory condenser, & the original Frigidare compressor. The whole conversion ran <$150. I've seen these used on my Caddy, my wife's Grand National, a 1977 Cougar (old York piston-type compressor), and several older Chryslers (2 Nippondenso compressors on a 78 Aspen 360 & a 1982 police Diplomat 318, one RV-2 piston compressor on a 1975 Cordoba 440). All blow cold.

For a drop-in replacement for Freon, there's a mixture called "Freeze-12". However, it requires TOTALLY vacuuming out all the R-12. I don't like oddball stuff, so I spent the extra $ to convert to R-134a.
Smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 10:16 pm:   

Most older systems work fine with R134A the only time you'll notice a differance is on very hot humid days becasue R134 in most cases will only go about 35to40 deg F below ambient temp. Also make sure that your condenser is very clean also an aux electric on the other side of the condender if you have room will help alot. I've seen people blame r134 for poor cooling when they had a dirty condenser,bad expansion valve or some other problem.

Smoky,
Guy Bouchard (161.184.192.137)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:19 pm:   

Ah , the magic of science and techknology (?). I've, over the last few years converted refrigeration systems to this new environment saviour R-134A, dutifully following all the protocols, and was happy with the results. However, a while back some character phoned needing a recharge in his system. When I explained to him the cleaning,evacuation, oil change, dryer change and oil change, he said "Hell no, just dump the new stuff in over the R12 and that's all." I explained to him that this was not to be done, and he said he had half a dozen friends who had done so with no negative results.As surprised as I was, those systems are still running. THIS IS IN NO WAY A RECOMMENDATION OF THIS PRACTICE.
Sometimes, you just wonder about all this stuff.
Guy 4905A
Johnny (63.159.200.68)

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 7:50 pm:   

Simply adding R-134a to an R-12 system is about as good an idea as fueling a Detroit Diesel with straight kerosene. You can do it, but it's a VERY bad plan.
John Feld (204.184.224.14)

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 1:43 am:   

FREEZE 12 requires no system flushes or lubricant change. It works with the existing R-12 lubricant.

At around 8-9 bucks a can I don't need to spend a few hundred to convert over. I put my own in and save even more. The test to get certified is simple and cost me 25.00.

As for that ozone garbage, I don't buy it. DuPont held the patten on R-12, when it got released to the public they needed to have a reason to make you switch over to their new product, which they now hold the exclusive patten rights to.
Frank Allen (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 2:40 pm:   

anything flamable is a no go and dangerous, i dont see why people would take this chance. you got enough problems when you own a bus without making more . as for the envioment ill never buy that, nobody in wash cares.
Frank Allen
Johnny (63.159.128.35)

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 4:08 pm:   

"DuPont held the patten on R-12, when it got released to the public they needed to have a reason to make you switch over to their new product, which they now hold the exclusive patten rights to."

That strikes me as urban legend. Patents are valid for what, 50 years (or is it 25)? Freon was around in the early 30's, IIRC--so, the patent would've ended in the 80's. R-134a was phased in in the early 90's (we have several 1994 Dodge vans at work with R-12 A/C systems)--there's about a 10-year gap, there.

John Feld: The oil might work, but you must, repeat MUST remove all R-12 before using Freeze-12. I am certain of this--mixing refrigerants is a FEDERAL OFFENCE.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration