RV Lot Qwnership - Buying One? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » RV Lot Qwnership - Buying One? « Previous Next »

Arthur (24.34.91.107)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 6:20 pm:   

I will be in full retirement in 10 - 12 years. I plan on using my bus as my winter home and will keep my place up north and rent out the house and live in the barn apartment.

I will travel a lot for the first couple of years and then settle down

I am curious about others experiences with buying an RV lot in the south. Florida, the Carolinas, Texas or even Baja. It HAS to near the Ocean!

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions out there to help me think about this?

Thanks
two dogs (66.90.217.254)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 7:24 pm:   

I can tell you about the Rio Grande Valley..one place there has spots for 100 r.v. & enough space for 100 more , it doesn't seem to be run to it's full potential...it's always full,but why don't they plumb the other 100 spaces.write me at DOSDOGS1@JUNO.COM if you want to know more
ocean close
jmaxwell (66.42.92.19)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 8:13 pm:   

Two Dogs: how close is the Rio Grande Valley to the ocean? Ocean property, not desert!
Don KS/TX (65.149.8.212)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 8:28 pm:   

Hey now, the Rio Grande Valley is as close to the ocean as you can get, that is where it heads! Two Dogs lives in Donna, I live in La Feria, Greg lives in McAllen, Jim Stacy lives wherever he wants. I have 5 grapefruit trees, two orange, a lemon and an avavodo on my lot. Fruit and flowers all winter long. Don't confuse it with El Paso or someplace else.
two dogs (66.90.217.254)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 8:41 pm:   

I'm only in Donna in the winter,summers at the ranch ,outside Amarillo..(THATS DESERT) what would you guys say...30 miles to the gulf ??? 15 miles to Progresso (OLD MEXICO)One mile to the flea mkt.
Jim Stacy (12.87.109.222)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   

We've been in Rio Hondo (just E of Harlingen) the last two winters. About 20 miles to S Padre island or Boca Chica beach, both good surf fishing. Very pleased with the area. We have to drive about 20 miles to get to the flea mkt, Two Dogs.

Jim Stacy
two dogs (66.90.210.171)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 10:24 pm:   

see ya' at the flea mkt. I'll be the scarry guy that everybody is walking "around"...really, I'm a teddy bear...just "LOOK" scarry
Don KS/TX (65.150.144.15)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 11:12 pm:   

Goodness Jim, are you forgetting the 77 flea market that is so close to you?
FAST FRED (67.75.103.110)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 5:58 am:   

Why not drive about & tour the USA for a couple of years to see just where you would like to settle?

Looks like the Jap disease "Deflation" may finally burst the housing market Bubble , so RVlots and other things may be loads cheaper in a few years.

We will see,

FAST FRED
Don KS/TX (65.149.4.189)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 7:08 am:   

Good advice Fred, that is what we actually done. You will enjoy the trip, and then be SURE you are where you want to be. We found some of the most "in" places were overcrowded, overpriced, and not even RV friendly.
two dogs (66.90.217.171)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 10:02 am:   

Donna ,la Feria..that area, mellow people,have never had a problem with anybody, nice people, although I'd say it's about 50% mexican, I myself find those people easygoing & mellow, if they can't speak english,they will start shaking their head & waving,if you have to know something,just turn around & ask somebody to interpret..can understand your interist in the ocean,once you've fish in it fresh water is kinda boreing,NEVER know what you are going to pull in next,sometimes feel like that guy in the movie,,"WE NEED A BIGGER BOAT"
Ear-8-Ky (207.162.163.19)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:05 am:   

I would not think of owning a lot. If you do then you have to go back to it. I would much rather stay at different places. You canrent cheaper than you can own.
Don KS/TX (65.141.166.194)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:19 am:   

You are wrong TwoDogs, the census bureau says the ethnic distribution is 90% Mexican! If you have a problem with that, better just stay away. Personally we love em too, honest hard working people.
After years of renting, we finally decided to buy a place, makes it feel more like home, and you can have your own stuff the way you want it.
jmaxwell (66.42.92.16)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:54 am:   

I like FF advise. We bought our current place in N. Ca. in the Spring. If I had stayed around until July I would have bailed and never returned (gets to 110-115 often; too damn hot). Been here 27 yrs. now. Have wanted to go to Padre Islands area for a few yrs. now and I think I will when I finish the Neoplan, just to see what it is like. Have a friend who went there in Jan. a few yrs. ago and encountered ice; hell, how u going to head South from the Padre Islands? For all of us w/ spacious RV's, I would think an RV lot would be fine just to have a place to sit down for a couple of months at a time, certainly beats RV parks where ure parked under your neighbors awning or his slide-out is under yours.
two dogs (66.90.217.34)

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 12:51 pm:   

padre island is nice,but kinda "pricey"(too many naked women at spring break)....naaa,never too many...Port Isabel is just west of the bridge,r.v. rent lots cheaper...3 or 4 parks in that town,but if you get there after nov 15,all are full,a million little towns west on business 83,all have r.v. parks...on Padre Island at 7 mile marker,free r.v. parking,as long as you want,but no hook-ups,not for me,I'm not a "camper"...."roughing it", for me ,is sleeping without my pajamas

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration