Bed frame over engine Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Bed frame over engine « Previous Next »

A . Booker (209.209.197.51)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 9:11 pm:   

We are in the process of building the bed frame over our engine in our Eagle.Is it better to weld or bolt the frame in I know if bolted you could get a little better access to engine but don't know if practical.What is the belt way to insulate the bed frame?boo thanks for any help Booker
two dogs (66.90.217.246)

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   

I've read that a couple of times and I don't understand,why would you want to weld it in
doug woodin (24.170.163.179)

Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 10:36 pm:   

I built a box over the engine area to fit a queen size box spring and matress set. Its just a 2X8 pine board set on its edge,on each side joined at the corners with angle brackets. Its got 1X2 strips inside on the floor. The strips are nailed and glued to the 2X8 and then screwed to the floor.Be sure to leave the access panels free to be opened if necessary. I fit a 3/4 inch piece of Tuff-R foam board that lays on the floor under the bed.[over the access panels] Keeps out all that heat and noise. To get to the storeage under the bed, I just lift the box spring straight up at the foot end , and I have a "leg" that is hinged at the top that falls down to hold the spring and matress in the raised position.I want to get some gas struts to aid in the lift[getting old,ya know!]but haven't yet.
FAST FRED (67.75.110.64)

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 5:43 am:   

We used plywood for the side rail supports , and installed a twin (54 wide) metal spring set as used in the 40's & 50's .

This takes up almost no room and the hight saved under the bed (by not having a box spring) is used in the under bed storage area.

All can be removed in a few min (and there is only one matterss to wrassle) should we need to access the starter cover plate.

The inside end (foot of bed)is not "structural" but does add to the stiffness of the side pannels, and can be removed with two wing nuts if large items need to be carried under the bed.

Since the bed side floor is raised to cover the wheel wells (4 inches or so) and the bed surface is standard hight from the raised floor , There is LOADS of great storage under the bed.

Works for me,

FAST FRED
Craig S (65.202.123.254)

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 9:57 am:   

Hi doug,
That's the reason we're going to look into an air mattress next year. Lifting the bed is a bit of a task. I'd rather be lifting air. I've read a lot of recommendations about the air bed and they sound very practical. Especially if the degree of hardness can be adjusted.

Craig C

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration