Leveling problems MCI 5 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Leveling problems MCI 5 « Previous Next »

Brad Steward (142.177.108.72)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 8:48 pm:   

I just installed new height (leveling ) valves on the rear of the bus. The air bags have plates and new lines and fittings. I have leak checked and can find no leaks yet as the air bleeds down the bus rolls hard to the left. The left bags are completely empty and the right ones are up higher!!Any suggestions ? The check valves were both gone which is why I replaced them to start with, but at least the coach would settle evenly before.I phoned MCI in Winnipeg and verified that the valves are the right ones and on the right side. I have fooled with this for over a week now and need HELP !!
Tony H. (Bluegrass) (216.207.2.115)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:11 pm:   

Brad
Sounds like your Air Beam on the one side Is bad
I had to put plates on My MCI-7 because they was leeking air, sounds like your going to have to do the same
Tony

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:18 pm:   

If you already have plates then maybe one of your bags are bad, a spray bottle and some dishwater soap with some water In it and you should be able to find the leek,If It Is going down that fast It should be pretty easy to find.
Tony
Brad Steward (142.177.76.154)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 9:49 pm:   

Yes Tony I have sprayed the bags and lines with soapy water and not one leak has shown up. I took the line off the check valve and it is not leaking . I am baffled !!I had to shorten the link between the leveling arm and the frame as the replacement leveling valves were shorter in stature than the originals. But I leveled the bus - centered the leveling arm and then matched the links.
When I replaced the airbags in the front they were bubbling all over when I sprayed them and yet they held up for over 3 hrs. This back one is less than that. Brad

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:15 pm:   

Brad
Check around the bag where the plate meets It that just might be where your leak Is, I know on mine( It spent a lot of time In N.Y. It was a yankee ball team Bus)there was places on the one bag that had eaten Into the aluminum plate and I had to replace the plate. maybe your plate has a hole In It. If not maybe the hose that goes to It.
Brad Steward (142.177.87.203)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   

Tony - Thanks I will give that a try tomorrow. I keep thinking it must be something that I replaced since it wasn't that bad before!! Might be just a coincidence however.
Brad
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.27)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   

Brad, it might pay you to prove which part of your air system is leaking. For example, when your air pressure gauge falls to zero, what part of your system quits working?

If your air leak is in the part of the system that provides air for the brakes, everything in the coach that is air powered will probably quit working, except that your air bags should stay up.

If your air leak is in the part of the system that supplies air for your suspension or is in your suspension, your guage will probably go to zero, but if you step on the brake treadle, you should find you still have some air, because of your minimum pressure valve. If this is the case, your air should not operate your wipers or air horn.

Two hard leaks to find if your hearing is not real good can be your wiper controls and the air horn valve. Another is the shutdown solenoid on the governor. I don't know how much of a problem the skinner valves can be.

I think the main thing to realize is that your air system is made up of a lot of parts and isolating the leaks can be the key to finding them. It's a puzzle, but there are clues to find.

I hope this helps.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration