Custom Steering Wheels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » June 2003 » Custom Steering Wheels « Previous Next »

Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (208.186.37.186)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 6:04 am:   

Does anyone know if Kenworth, Peterbuilt and Freightliner steering wheels are interchangeable with each other and buses.

I keep seeing these nice rosewood units for Kenworths and no one seems to know if they will fit other trucks or buses.

Peter.
Don KS/TX (65.150.145.9)

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 6:22 am:   

No, the hubs are different on most. Here is a suggestion however, VIP wheels, which is a major maker of steering wheels for the industry and our buses, merely fit the hub of choice to the wheel of choice at their factory. They take orders based on number of splines and od of steering shaft splined area, so measure yours and look for a fit or order one from VIP at www.vipwheels.com.
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.78)

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 6:24 am:   

The truck steering wheels generally have a larger bore size than a bus. If you want a nice steering wheel go to the VIP website and take a look. If you call them direct they will sell you a factory "second" at substantial savings and you won't be able to see where the wheel was a blem. Plus they can get you the correct size wheel you want in any style you want.

http://www.vipwheels.com/

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (208.186.37.186)

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 6:50 am:   

Thanks for the tips on the VIP wheels, guys.

Checking out the application page at VIP, there appear to be many options on the fitting kits, best I get the tilt/telescoping column I want first.

Peter.
David Anderson (66.90.192.172)

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 10:03 pm:   

I bought a VIP at the Laughlin show in 2000. Tilt, telescoping. It is very nice. I had to do some modifications to it and scavange part of the column from my old one to make it work. I'm sure VIP would cringe at the fact I had to cut on their wheel column, but I feel confident of my engineering and have had no problems. It just would not fit correctly the way it was designed.

One thing I've found out about steering systems is that no one will mess with column repairs or gear box repairs because of liability concerns.
I can understand that.

I plan on having some steering alignment work done next week and have already been advised as such. I think I may have some wear in my Ross HFB 64 steering box and the shop will only remove it and send it off to a specialty shop for rebuild.

I am ok with that because previously I was told the box is out of production and a new box would not receive my column as modified, so it looks like I'm in good shape at this time to get my bus steering in top condition.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration