Opinions solicited Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » August 2003 » Opinions solicited « Previous Next »

Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (24.196.191.70)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 7:06 pm:   

I am seriously considering selling Driving Miss Lazy and would like some opinions.
The driver and bogie tires all need replaced. The fronts are good and I would probably switch them to the bogie position.
The question is should I go ahead and change them now or sell as is and let the new buyer make the choice of what tires to buy. I suspect six new tires, mounted and balanced, will cost in the neighborhood of $2,000.
Richard
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.73.177.59)

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 7:14 pm:   

Richard,

Sorry you are considering selling DML.

As for the tires, I think I would not say anything about the tires until you get a buyer looking. Then if they comment on the tires, offer a $2K allowance on them. Maybe even put that in the ad.

If you do put on new tires, I would definately swirch the fronts to the tags and put new on the drives and steers.

Peter.
Ace (24.28.44.126)

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:56 pm:   

Speaking of tires.... Has anyone heard that the DOT announced that the better tires should NOW be placed on the rear of a regular size vehicle such as ytour family car or light truck?

I went into Sears and had a rotate and balance done on my work van and they told me this! I was always led to believe that the better or new tires went on the front steer axle! I told them I wanted the better on the front and they insisted I was wrong in doing this!

What's your opinions?

Sorry for using this thread for this but it WAS about tires!

Ace
dougthebonifiedbusnut (136.217.0.198)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 3:18 am:   

Hey Ace,
I think you should consider the source of the info. You are right to think the mechanic was wrong,there is more weight on the front tires plus they have the added work of directing the vehical.As far as im concerned I will always put the better tire on the front of the vehical.
FAST FRED (67.75.110.49)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 5:58 am:   

The tire guy was correct .

The BEST tires go in the back , as there is NO steering on the back of most cars.

If a front blows the other tire will direct the car .

Been the plaecment recomendation for 3 or 4 decades .

FAST FRED
charlesseaton (205.183.220.106)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 8:40 am:   

Does it make any difference whether it is a front-drive or rear-drive car? In all vehicles, but particularly front-drive ones, the front tires do most of the work, including braking because of weight transfer.
Michael J (Mjryan) (67.41.243.236)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 10:59 am:   

Fast Fred is right, you can control the front in case of a blow-out/flat. New tires on the back always.
Michael j
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.121.155)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 2:04 pm:   

On vehicles with four tires the best ones have always gone on the front as long as I can remember. I don't know what the new idea is putting them on the rear-- if you have a flat on a rear tire it is easier to control the car than with a flat on the front.

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 5:16 pm:   

I agree with you Geoff, and with duals on the rear you would normally loose only one tire and you would still have one good one. Think I will stick to the old way.
I had a blow out years ago on a front axle and I am sure glad it was a four lane highway and no other cars around or I would have been in serious trouble. I do not see how a blowout on a dual drive axle could create any handling problems, but then I have never had one. LOL
Richard
two dogs (67.30.23.14)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 5:39 pm:   

My best tires will ALWAYS go on the front...not only that ,they get painted with brake fluid 3 times a year ,and if they aren't perfect,I don't go....can't believe you guys...if you ever loose a steer tire,you will age 10 years in 60 seconds
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.178)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 7:45 pm:   

Richard......what's the brake fluid thing? I'm still just a kid, I guess; in 68 years I haven't come across that :)
RCB
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.121.75)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 7:57 pm:   

Brake fluid is like Armourall-- it brings out the shine in the tire. But while it brings out the shine, it also drys out the sidewall and it starts cracking in a couple of years. Better to wash it only with a brush and mild soap.
two dogs (67.30.23.20)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 8:56 pm:   

brake fluid is a rubber preservitive....guess 68 years ago you didn't have rubber brake lines :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.164)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 10:32 pm:   

Dogs......you are right! And I wasn't particularly interested at that time, I suppose, even though I'm a VERY young 68. :)

Geoff...xactly what I was wondering about. Thanx for the confirmation. :) :)
RCB
jmaxwell (66.42.92.5)

Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:06 pm:   

I'll stick w/ the newest and best tires on the front and clean them with mild detergent and water. I did accidentally discover a good use for brake fluid: removing urethane adhesive and caulking from your hands after it has set.
Johnny (63.159.152.44)

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 1:40 pm:   

Actually, two dogs has it right: brake fluid will preserve tire rubber. My car trailer gets it once a year. My bus will, as soon as I have decent tires on it.
two dogs (67.30.23.22)

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 9:29 pm:   

yep.......I'm right,there are 400 happy busnuts & 4 pesimists on this board
ggo4 (67.249.85.227)

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   

good tires always go on the non steering axel.... if you have a blow out you want to be able to control the vehicle....the old tire tester days out in texas when tires were run until they exploded were all done on the front..duals don't always give you a tire left when one pops...have seen it take out its mate and the boogie...
Ace (24.28.44.126)

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:23 am:   

Well we started off NOT talking bus tires here. The original post stated YOUR FAMILY CAR or LIGHT TRUCK. It had nothing to do with bogies, duals, drives, etc.! I was merely trying to find out where the NEW or BETTER tires are best to be installed. They tell me that the DOT "CHANGED" the way they think!
AGAIN... has anyone heard of this change!

Very simple question if you ask me!
THINK... family car for a second and not your bus!

Thanks
Ace
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (170.215.59.70)

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:50 am:   

Ace,

To answer your question. No i haven't heard about the change.

But you did hijack this thread and you did ask for opinions, and as usual, you got plenty....... Ha Ha Ha.

Peter.

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 11:42 am:   

Ace, I think you are wrong. The thread started about replacing the tires on DML. Maybe you should have gone to an automotive board, not a bus board for your question. LOL
Richard
two dogs (67.30.23.97)

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 12:03 pm:   

yep....this is a bus board...& big trucks are simular,I had 1 steering tire loss & 100 drivers & trailers in over 1 million miles of driveing....I'd rather have those 100 ,than to go thru the steering tire loss...it scared me , & I ain't scared of nothin'...does that tell ya' where the best tires should go???????
don (Bottomacher) (216.130.152.51)

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 3:10 pm:   

I'm surely not an authority, but if the best tires should be on the rear, why is the use of retreads forbidden only on the steering axle (if forbidden is the right word)? I've blown both, and I know I don't ever want it to be a front tire again. Does DOT give a reason?
Don
Ace (24.28.44.126)

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   

Not to the consumer, just to the tire shop mechanics (tire changers) and countermen!

I realized I hi-jacked this thread and I appoligized early on but at the time it bothered me to think that they would be telling shops to do this!
I am well aware of semi's and busses being similar since my dad drove all his life and I now a bus owner but it just didn't sound right to me!

Is there any reference place on-line where this could be looked up?

Thanks again and sorry again!
Ace
gg04 (67.249.85.194)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:38 am:   

I answered on cars and light trucks..we blew them up (blowouts ) for a living back when I was younger and bullet proof...the front fenders were reinforced with 3/8 boiler plate..back tires were the best high speed racing tires of the time.. test tires on the front..ran them at high speed until they popped you con steer out of a front end blow out not as easy on the back(four wheeled vehicles)....hot rod did a story on it back in the early 70's look it up...factory tire testing .
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (170.215.174.162)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:51 am:   

The few blow-outs and flats I have experienced, have left me with the feeling I would rather control the car with the front tires good. I feel that with the fronts being ok, I have much better steering and braking than if I lost front tire.

I know what they are saying, that a rear blow-out is worse as it lets the rear of the car slew all over the place without any control of the driver.

As the front tires generally take the most abuse from steering, braking, potholes, and the odd curb stone, then surely they should be in the best condition to stop them failing in the first place.

This discussion is a bit like whether it is safer to wear seat belts or not. There is always a situation where the belt not being worn will have saved some lucky soul, but in general, the belt is better to be worn.

This is an example, not a lead into another thread, honest.... LOL.

Peter.
Dale MC8 (66.81.142.169)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 5:25 pm:   

Just this morning I heard Frick and Frack the car advice guys on PBS talking to someone who had an argument with her Dad about putting new tires on the rear as per the tire shop guy or the front as per Dad. F&F sided with the tire shop guy. I wuz suprized, I had always heard put new tires on the front. FWIW
Dale
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 5:38 pm:   

Sounds to me like this is something that the "liars-for-hire" have gotten their mitts into. . . and the tire companies are just CYAing.

FWIW,

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
john wood (206.252.250.92)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   

My motorcycle had a blow out on the back, now that was frightning! Which position on a mc for the new tire?

jw
Stephen Fessenden (Sffess) (65.154.177.166)

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:59 pm:   

Richard, a Buddy Gregg Salesman told me that the customer always looks at the tires and having a matched set of quality tires increases value and makes some sales that would not happen if the customer found bad tires on the bus before he went inside. If you can get up to Niagra Falls for a trip, Niagra Tire and Battery in Canada had great prices on Michelins (good brand to have for resale). And they gave trade in on serviceable tires for dump trucks, tires we would not want to use on a bus anymore. Your bus is beautiful, but tires may still help sell it. They say relax, this bus has had good maintenance.
two dogs (67.30.23.99)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:23 am:   

I'll agree with that......if it was barefooted,I'd only buy it if it was real cheap..
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.188)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:23 pm:   

I am not the kind of person who would go to Buddy Greg to buy a bus and the condition of the tires would only mean they needed to be changed to me. The overall condtion of the bus is far more important than a few tires.
Johnny (67.242.221.21)

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 4:44 pm:   

To me, brand-new tires (or anything else) are even a bit of a red flag--is this to hide something major wrong with the vehicle (like a front-end problem)?

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 6:52 pm:   

Since I have put on well over 100,000 miles on DML, she is due for a new set of skins.
Richard
FAST FRED (67.75.110.107)

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 6:16 am:   

If the tire AGE is OK (under 7 years) the half worn out tread will be just fine.

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 8:10 am:   

Unfortunately I am near, or have reached the tire age limit as well as the wear limit.
Richard
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.52)

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 2:19 am:   

We never have blowouts (not in the last 35 years), but we had one front and one rear go this trip, on the way down to pick up our coach. First, the rear went, and the car slewed around pretty badly before I got it stopped.

A few hours later, the front went, and all I noticed was the tire noise and the pull in the steering wheel. There was no tendency to lose control.

The funny part of the deal was that I did not even consider another bad tire because I had just lost one. I figured that the steering system had failed.

Anyway, on a car that is about evenly balanced front and rear, the only one that seemed at all threatening was when the one in the rear went.

I've only had one flat underway with truck tires, and that was an outside dual on a tall truck, heavily loaded. It felt real tippy when I took it over the crown on the shoulder.

I think that the item I ran into a while back about putting a new pair at one of the dual postions, running them for 30,000 miles, then moving them to the steer position, makes a lot of sense.

I hope I can get away without a steer blowout on the coach, and if I don't, I hope it doesn't get me into too much trouble.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration