Forget the slide outs..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » July 2003 » Forget the slide outs..... « Previous Next »

Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   

Here's a new engineering marvel that everyone will want to do to their own bus... I can't imagine the fun engineering arguements that will ensue!!

http://www.heartmagic.com/sinkingRV.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/Travel/GMA030721RV_Yacht.html

Cheers
Gary
Bruce (24.242.126.143)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 2:14 pm:   

stupid idea
Quest (198.29.191.147)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 5:13 pm:   

There was a camper/yacht that was intended to be used as a camper as well as a boat. Only disadvantage was you needed a ladder to get aboard.

This conversion/bus brings thoughts to mind about maintenance and seals.

Remember the Amphibicar? It ran in the water like a boat and drove back on land like a car. It is now long gone due to the action of rust on metal. But thinking about the amphibi/bus, it would have concerns with wheel bearing seals and the like, and what if you were caught on a rough lake? I wonder how these things react to swells and such.

And then remember the conversion that was made from a stainless steel trailor tanker, it was supposed to go anywhere including in the water. The owners were supposed to travel the world over sea and land in it. Anyone have any pics of that one or know anything about it?

We all have a whimsical nature and ideas abound and this nature to do things "your way" sure does come up with some wild if not interesting ideas.

So to say someones idea of "his way" is stupid only shows the short sidedness of ones own idea.

I only hope we all can develope the ideas that we have and actually see them built into our projects to be enjoyed. That's "Our Way" and we all play a part in it. Thanks for the moment. q
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (170.215.174.162)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 5:36 pm:   

I really had to check the date on the webpage to make sure it wasn't from the beginning of April.... LOL.

It takes all types, and as Quest says, how stable can it be. It must have been a monumental task to waterproof the engine/trans/bays/wiring/roof vents/etc,etc,etc.

Interesting item though, thanks Gary for sharing.

Btw, there a couple of those Amphicars not too far from me. They do want a fortune for them, that's if you could actually part them from the owners.

Peter.
Ross Carlisle (Ross) (216.107.193.108)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 8:58 pm:   

This was on Good Morning America yesterday. If I didn't see the video footage, I'd have to question wheter it actually floats. The one they demoed for the show had plenty of granite and marble inside.

Ross
Dwight (65.138.102.228)

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:44 pm:   

Nice way to wash it !!!
Just think of the posibilities ???
Smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:01 am:   

I'm thinking that this vessel would only be good for calm waters. Lake Eire in the Fall would not be a good idea. With the flooding We've had here in Indiana for the last 2 weeks this might had come in handy.

Smoky,
Chris (68.61.104.53)

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:32 am:   

Anyone remember the Dobbertin Surface Orbiter?? Last time i checked it out, it was for sale. $200,000, I think. But it did curse a marriage! lol.

---Chris
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (66.155.188.11)

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 5:17 pm:   

The DSO was the vehicle I was thinking about. I had not seen any pics of it for a long while, I never thought about searching the internet, and what did I find, the Dobbertin Surface Orbiter.

Wow it looks cool, was made from a stainless steal milk tank trailer, reminds me of the WaltDisneyWorld Monorail with wheels.

Guess what, IT's FOR SALE. He is trying to sell it for $149,490.00. A bargan if you want ready to go and a boat too, hmmm Fast Fred, you listening LOLOLOLOLOL.

What appears to be Dobbertins page with lots of pics is

HTTP://WWW.DOBBERTINHYDROCAR.COM/

ALSO TRY SEARCHING "DOBBERTIN SURFACE ORBITOR"
Bruce (24.242.126.143)

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 7:59 pm:   

Why go to the expense to do this when you can get the Cubans to outfit a 51 Chevy truck with a tarp, pontoons and a propellor? Theirs is proven to actually work and for a fraction of the price.
akrom (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 3:11 am:   

That's the one Fast Fred Bought, Right? akrom
FAST FRED (67.75.106.163)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 5:27 am:   

No sorry,
I got A Uniflite 50 ft ex Navy Launch , with Grey Marine 6-71.

FAST FRED
SLO (Slo) (24.205.227.122)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 11:08 am:   

Maybe they could use this for a toad

toad

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration