Rubber Splash guard on wheel panels o... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » July 2003 » Rubber Splash guard on wheel panels on RTSII « Previous Next »

Quest (198.29.191.147)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 8:45 am:   

This question is for you guys/gals with a bus that has the rubber splash guard that goes around the wheel opening on the wheel panel of an RTSII.

The rubber splash guard seems to deteriorating from the sun or weather. It is losing that shiny look, slowly changing to a dull rubber look.

I am thinking of two options , one is to buy that rubberized bumper paint and paint them , the other would be to replace them or remove them comptletely.

What have you done to preserve your rubber splash guards or did you just remove them completely??

ALSO, the RTSII has the fibre glas panels and the bottoms are connected to the bus by a rubber peice that is connected to a metal piece that is glued to the panel. I have a couple that have pulled off the panel, what do you use to reconnect these to the panel?

Thanks, Q
Pete RTS/Daytona (209.165.15.72)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 9:53 am:   

The bay door panels have a metal hinge receiver - order a couple set from Mohawk bus parts and nut and bolt them to the upper panel after you cut off the fiberglass hinge receiver - The metal hinge receiver is at a slightly different angle (about 30 degrees) - this will allow you to open the bay door even further - order thier new rubber hinges while your at it - they have american made (not cheap China / break in a year crap) rubber hinges treated for UV protection

Pete RTS Daytona
jmaxwell (66.42.92.26)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 7:12 pm:   

I was under the impression that the stock panels of RTS's are a type of Thermo-plastic and not fiberglass. Which are they?
Jeff (Jeff) (68.10.0.78)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 7:33 pm:   

I got rid of the black rubber wheel wells. Got R & M fenders and put them on. My hinge material was split on both front basement panels. Could not repair them. I took a square channel aluminum 2" and glued / screwed it to the bulkheads. Made a great wire chase for side markers and turn signals. I silkaflexed and pop riveted the metal hinge to the channel and the basement panel. As Pete told me, the skin of the RTS was a prototype for the modern Chevy Corvettes. The skin is some tuff stuff. Removed the rubber mounts that keep the basement panels from moving. I got stainless steel door latches from Austin Hardware and now have basement compartments. I added below the link to my Yahoo Briefcase so see what I am talking about. I am not happy with the skin I bought from R & M. So I am in the process of ripping that sheet of fiberglass off and skinning over windows that I want covered with sheet metal. Got the A/C up on the roof. Cannot believe how well they work without any insulation. I did paint 4 coats of Kool Seal. We have a great group and many VERY helpful members on Yahoo.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bubbajeph_rts/lst?&.dir=/1988+TMC+RTS-06&.src=bc&.begin=9999&.view=t&.order=&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/bubbajeph_rts/lst%3f%26.dir=/1988%2bTMC%2bRTS-06%26.src=bc%26.view=t

Jeff
"Take Another Road"Ê Rustless not Busless in Buckroe
1988 TMC RTS-06
da Bubba
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (66.155.188.86)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 8:30 pm:   

Well, I have never been able to get into that Yahoo thingy. Everytime I try I get the message

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible.

or it just doesnt let me see anything.
I too have a couple of brackets that have come off the panels that attach to the rubber on the bottom of the panel. Do I have to epoxy them back on or what??? What did you guys come up with?

"Imagine Your Dreams" cd
Pete RTS/Daytona (209.165.14.210)

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 9:10 pm:   

It is my Understanding - RTS's are covered with SMC (Sheet molded composite) a kind of fiberglass / plastic mix - Just like the newer Corvette bodies - They are not FRP (Fiberglass reinforced Plastic) like the Saturn
Jeff (Jeff) (68.10.0.78)

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 8:16 am:   

Cory, If you need help getting into the RTS group, E Mail me and I can help you. I tried to E Mail you from your post here, but you didn't include a means to contact you directly.

"Take Another Road"æ Rustless not Busless in Buckroe
1988 TMC RTS-06
da Bubba
donn (67.83.157.50)

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 9:33 am:   

Two of the bay doors on my RTS are pure fiberglass,but I think they are aftermarket replacements.the others are a sandwich of a fiberglass base with an outer covering of SMC.I replaced the rubber fenders with R&M pieces.I also used R&M stainless piano hinges to replace the rubber bay door hinges.

Donn '79RTS 35'
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (66.155.188.159)

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 6:24 pm:   

So are we trying to say that it is not worth trying to save the rubber wheel splash guards a(wheel wells) whatever they are called.? The answer was not directly answered. Mine are showing wear but I think they are salvageable.

Also about the bracket that is glued on the bottome of the side panel and connected to the bus with a rubber piece. What do I have to use to reconnect this to the panel???

"Imagine Your Dreams" cd
Dwight (65.136.55.231)

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 3:03 am:   

I used some poly stuff from lowes, it comes in a yellow tube, sticks to anything.....do not remember poly what right now ??? go look in their adhesive stuff (next to the liquid nails) you will see it ... get a tube and try it... none of my wheel splashs are not shinny, they look like they were made that way ???? ignorance is blist !!
you have to register and login to see some of that stuff on the RTS yahoo site... have to join the group...
but life goes on !!!
CoryDaneRTSIIIL (66.155.188.218)

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:42 pm:   

Dwight
Did you have to make new brackets or just glue the old ones back on??? I assume you have had good luck with this adhesive, it has not let go?? I have one panel that is small and only has one bracket holding it to the bus on the bottom.

After I run the Propane lines under the panels, I will need to repair these and get them back together so I can take it to a friends to replace the air bags this Fall.

Yes, my rubber wheel splashs are losing the shine, going a flat black. I thought I might be able to use the rubber bumper paint on them to salvage them back again. I guess, worst case, I could just cut them off and leave the fiberglas panel.

I was hoping to take er somewhere late this year but since some problems came up and the flow of the money had changed course, (thank you city counsel) putting the bus back probably a year. Good thing I retire in a couple years, I still want the bus done by the time I retire.
Dwight (65.136.55.3)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 1:40 am:   

I just cleaned up the old ones and gluded them back on, leave the glue alone foe 24 hrs., I also put some fiberglass cloth back over the bracket for extra....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration