Presidental Suite? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » July 2003 » Presidental Suite? « Previous Next »

FAST FRED (67.75.106.23)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 3:57 pm:   

Watched a great train thing on TV and they were running the Swiss "Orient Express" train on US tracks for a visit to some Nat parks.

They showed the Presidental Suite and it had a GREAT IDEA to steal!

The very fine individual seat was next to the window so the view could be seen.

When it was sleepy by time the stewardess came and removed the cushoned seat back and placed it in a custom drawer under the seat bottom ( Swiss remember) .

Then a "Murphy " style bed was pulled down from the wall behind the chair.

It fit neatly over the chair bottom & arms.

DONE , a really fine single , with nice real mattress.

Might be able to work a pair in for visitors ???

FAST FRED
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.213)

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 9:20 pm:   

FF.....do I understand correctly that the "bed" was built in the bulkhead? Since it was an "individual chair" seems kinda short for anyone but small kids....Or?

Great idea, just can't quite picture it. :)
RCB
FAST FRED (67.75.112.11)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 5:37 am:   

With the chair back removed , the murphy bed was free to fold down from the bulkhead behind the chair.

The open unit may have rested on the chair arm & bottom , or just covered it, couldnt tell.

Part of the bed extended past where the chair back was into the bulkhead to get it long enough.

Envision a plank that has a hinge pin mounted an inch or two above the back of the arm rest where your elbow would be sitting in the chair.

Trains are wider than busses so a pair of 40 inch singles would only leave a narrow isle (assuming 2 sets P&S) but it should work , and would be real beds.

A far cry from sleeping on a plywood table top , with dinette seat backs serving as bed cushons.

If you dont love the company , the table top might be a better idea!

FAST FRED
jmaxwell (66.42.92.7)

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 3:10 pm:   

A good idea. I had a champion class A some yrs. ago that had a Pullman type upper built across the front overhead instead of the old standard spring loaded drop downs that so many class A's had. The Pullman acted as a large overhead cabinet by day and dropped out and down at night to make a full size bed. It dropped to the height of the seat backs in the cockpit and I still remember the day it fell down on me while driving thru Las Vegas on old Boulder Hwy.! Some locking modifications followed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration