Thermostats replaced Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » August 2003 » Thermostats replaced « Previous Next »

David Anderson (66.90.195.178)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:07 pm:   

FYI I changed out both my thermostats on my 6V92. It took about 4 hours and cost $57 for parts. Bought 2 Weirstat 170's at NAPA. That is what was in there, so I replaced it with the same.
The old ones looked ok, but the seat rings' rubber was very brittle and some was missing.

Now, if my high temp problem doesn't go away, then it's radiator rod time next.
jim mci-9 (209.240.198.60)

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 11:24 pm:   

next time you're at the napa store, check out 1 of the little raytec infrared heat guns,....they were on sale for around $50..... you can check the cooling system very easily with 1 of them.... and check gearboxes...etc.... very useful for heating problem diagnostics...
David Anderson (66.90.194.246)

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 9:06 pm:   

I took her out today to see how the temps ran. Outside air temp was 102. I ran her for 10 miles and the temp gauge went to 190 and stayed there.

I blocked open the engine door 3.5" with a 2x4 and drove 10 more miles and the temp dropped to about 187.

I completely opened the engine door and drove 10 miles and the temp went back to 190.

So much for for my "more air idea"

I think 190 is probably ok in that 102 degree heat. I was diving it wide open and about 78 mph just as a test, so I pushed the coach pretty hard.

The temp would always drop back to 180 when I idled down to stop.

Anyone think I might need to give the radiator some attention, or do these operating temperatures seem ok?

David Anderson
Greg Roberts (Gregeagle20) (66.7.134.190)

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:32 am:   

The real test will be when you have a long extended climb. I would run as it is and be paying close attention to the first long climb and also be willing to accept that you most likely will need to get out of the throttle a bit for a few minutes. Sounds like you are running as expected for 102F.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration