Two Old Guys & A converted Bus Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Two Old Guys & A converted Bus « Previous Next »

Terrance A.Haag (Mrbus) (64.12.96.235)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 2:38 pm:   

Two old Guys, & a Converted Bus

Growing up in a family of nine is quite an experience to say the least. Seven boys and two girls pretty evenly spaced, and me directly in the middle. It leaves all sorts of space for the poor middle child syndrome, and I probably have used every one of them to my advantage. It is amazing how you develop the feeling that it will always be this way, and you can not even imagine what it would be like not surrounded by siblings. Well, as we continued to grow we were still a very tight bunch, and no one ever challenged us individually because they knew they would have to deal with the whole family.
Three of the oldest went off to war in WW II, and all came home. Two of us headed for Korea, I came home, our brother did not. This was the first time I think any of us thought about death and separation, and it left a hugh hole in our family.
By the time Vietnam came around, we were nervous about the younger ones going, but the alternatives never entered our heads. So we lucked out again, two went and two came home.
We became pretty complacent, thinking we would all live forever, but little by little reality set in and we were burying our brothers and sisters, and finally in May of this year we buried a brother which has brought the count down to just two. As I said earlier, I was the middle one, and my surviving brother was second to last, and at the funeral we were just sitting around, dragging up old family memories, when we got the idea that he and I should retrace an old family trip we took back in July and August 1947. You have to picture this, a 1941 Ford four door sedan, and a 1940 something REO deuce and a half, with eleven members of one family,(two oldest brothers stayed home to take care of business, but we have added a couple of sister in laws to the mix) traveling from southern Indiana to Mt.Rushmore, Yellowstone Natl. Park and then on up to Glacier Park. Think back, no such thing as an Interstate, we would probably never have been able to maintain the minimum speed anyway, no such thing as an air conditioner, although my older brothers and Dad did come up with a very crude but effective early version of a “Swamp Cooler” which made a significant difference in the car, but only winter would have cooled that old GI truck, but strangely enough I don’t really remember being that uncomfortable, but I was eighteen and seeing the big world, so who worries about a little heat. The old truck was a set up as a mobile kitchen, even had sleeping arrangements for the ladies, a potty chair(to be emptied each morning) and two big water tanks, one on top painted black for showers in the canvas wrap around that attached to the side of the truck opposite the stove side. The second tank mounted inside was insulated with a sawdust/glue mixture, which actually did keep it cooler. The roof had been replaced with aluminum sheeting, with a second roof mounted two inches above the main, very similar to the MCI 5s set up for the desert countries. The inside of the roof was insulated with what we always called “ice blankets” attached to the roof with one inch strips of hardwood. The side curtains could be rolled up, or held out when parked, forming awnings on both sides. Inside were three couches that converted into bunk beds by lifting the back and hooking it to the overhead, two folding tables and a big old propane refrigerator. This was a true propane fired reefer manufactured by a company called Servel, and evidently the government had several of these, long before we ever heard of Dometic. I think that was the thing that impressed people the most, when you would get them an ice cold drink out in the middle of nowhere with no electricity hooked up. One side of the truck had a six burner kerosene cook stove with two ovens, and a ten gallon water tank mounted across the oven tops to provide hot water for the cooks. Clean up was handled in a big fold out sink behind the drive axles, no holding tanks, just ran the water down a ravine.
This truck was not just for our vacation trips, we as a family were involved in “Agriculture Aviation”, spraying, seeding, dusting etc., so this truck accompanied the crew as it traveled across the great plains each year. We also had a maintenance truck, a fuel and oil truck and a big generator mounted on a trailer, with all sorts of lights attached. When we set up shop, it was usually in the corner of a field, and we could do everything, including engine changes and overhauls.We purchased the trucks at a Government auction in Kingsville Texas, along with loads of spare parts, and 8 beautiful old Stearman trainers, that were considered obsolete at the time. Too bad we did not have the where with all to have purchased a hundred of them. Just how we managed to get all this stuff home would be a complete story in itself, but that’s for another time.
The trip west, was also a business venture to say thank you, and to schedule the ranchers for next spring. Isn’t it great when business trips can be so much fun.
Like many family business’s, as the family grew, it became necessary to branch off into different fields of endeavor. One brother and later, his son’s started doing custom combining, sort of a natural offshoot, another developed a farm drainage and soil erosion business. All of these various adventures need a lot of transportation, so one brother and I started a trucking company, that eventually branched into school buses and motor coaches. But we all kept our love for airplanes, and working together.
After the funeral, as the conversation continued, my brother and I decided that we would do it. Much smaller crowd this time, no wives, sons or daughters, just the remaining two of the original group, he and I.
I have had an ongoing battle with cancer over the last five years, and thought I was getting ahead of it, but it has returned. I have started treatments again, and after consulting with my radiation Oncologists, he says it would not do much harm to skip a few weeks, I think it was his subtle way of saying it probably won’t make any difference anyway. We have experienced a lot of different types of cancer throughout our family, how it may be related to all the various chemicals we handled as youth is still open for speculation, God knows we ingested much more than our share of arsenic and DDT, just to name a couple, but inspite of all this, most of us have lived beyond the so called national average for old white guys, so who knows.
So armed with that information we are starting from just north of Minneapolis Minnesota, in my 1968 Eagle O-5, and dragging the trusty VW Rabbit along for the places we can’t take the bus.
We will be doing a big tear drop shaped loop through Mt.Rushmore, Devils Tower, TenSleep Wyoming, with a half day stop in Greybull Wyoming to wander through the old airplane bone yard, through Cody, in the East gate of Yellowstone, use the VW for side trips down to Jackson and the Teton Range, out the west gate and up to Glacier. We plan to spend a few days in the Glacier area. Then start back across the northern route, even taking in the headwaters of the Mississippi River at Lake Itasca in Minnesota.
My sons have checked the old bus over from top to bottom, even replaced a tie rod end, that I thought would have been fine, but somehow our relationship has changed to where they feel they have to look out for me, after all these years of me looking out for them. Makes for a nice warm feeling anyway, even if it does make one feel a little feeble.
My brother is flying up from southern Indiana, and as soon as he gets here, we will start our excellent adventure.Continued:
ED-NJ (67.85.224.113)

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 3:32 pm:   

Regardless of the cancer, it sure sounds like you've lived a full life. Unfortunately, none of us know if we'll make it into "the average for old white guys". God willing, we will too. Each day is a gift. Enjoy every minute with your brother and your Eagle. Notice every site you pass, inhale every breath of fresh air, and don't miss any sunsets. Have the best time of your life.
PS - don't feel feeble, feel loved. You're lucky to have kids who love you enough to look out for you.
Norm Edlebeck (66.60.196.135)

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 3:41 pm:   

Thanks Terrance for sharing this amazing adventureous vacation trip with all of us, I hope you both have the "time of your lives" retraceing your trip of many moons ago with your entire family. By the way, my BEST friend from Green Bay, WI had been diagnosed terminal 4 years ago in Green Bay with (Dr.'s saying he had only 4 months to live) cancer throughout his body, and has been cancer free now for over three years. Also, my wife is cancer free of breast cancer. Not to change the subject here, but, check out www.cancercenter.com on the web. They've been doing "miracles" there for over 30 years.
GOOD LUCK in your Western adventure and beyond!!!!
Bill Gerrie (216.185.72.14)

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:09 pm:   

Terrance
I sincerely hope you and your brother have the time of your life reliving a trip that must have been very memorable for both of you. There is nothing more precious than fond memories of family and friends in these times of uncertainty. Have a great trip and keep us all informed of your adventure.
R.C.Bishop (128.123.221.174)

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 11:16 pm:   

Really nice story,Terrance. Makes this Hobby seem a lot more theraputic and worthwhile. One begins to think one is nuts, perhaps; this is the icing on the cake.

Enjoy and keep a tight wheel! :)
RCB
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (208.186.36.155)

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 4:58 am:   

This group of bus-nuts can surely produce the most amazing people and their ideals, I just loved to read your story, Terrance. Thanks for sharing.

What a great adventure you have before you both. We wish you a safe and enjoyable trip. Do keep us informed of your progress or write your story of what happened upon your return.

Good luck and be safe.

Peter.
Jack Conrad (Jackconrad) (204.193.117.66)

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:26 pm:   

Really enjoyed your post. My grandather (who raised me) always said"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present-that's why we call it a gift" Jack
Dave Wheat (24.197.182.248)

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 1:28 pm:   

A note from up in Duluth. Have a great trip and your story was very interesting and brought back some old memories here too.
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.224.197.10)

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 3:32 pm:   

Hey, a GREAT post, but next time could you kinda please try to use smaller paragraphs? Thanks.
Marc Bourget (209.142.38.81)

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 7:51 am:   

Maybe the size of the paragraphs are an indication of the size of his heart and how much he cares!

Envy the opportunity to own a Stearman. I've flown two. Heavy control forces but a great airplane!

Marc Bourget
David Pinson (64.207.80.202)

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:06 am:   

Back in the late 50's and early 60's...out of necessity...a wife and 5 kids....we paid 250 dollars for an old chevy school bus which we stripped out and replaced seats with army surplus bunks....and away we went. To this day, when our kids get together...most of the conversation is about the fun times we had in the chevy bus....That was way before the 'sticks and staples' guys started manufacturing their motor homes. From the schoolie, we progressed to a city bus, then an ACF Brill, then a GMC 4103....and now in our 70's we have converted a 75 Eagle 05/10.....well...still having fun!!!!!!
Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 2:07 pm:   

WOW! Great story and keep us posted on the trip if you can.

I have been to that old boneyard in Greybull and it is lots of fun! For the uninitiated, this is the place where many firefighting aircraft come from. Worth a stop - it's like a museum, but in an unrestored and natural state.
Clifford Neal (65.174.115.64)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:38 pm:   

Wonderful story. I come from a large family as well. Nine of us made it to adulthood. 8 boys and 1 girl and she the oldest.

You reminded me of many fun times. Only 5 of us left and I would like to be able to spend this kind of quality time with my four brothers. My wife and I have discussed such a trip and have been planning to approach the subject with them.

You have encouraged me to get on with it.

God bless you as you travel.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration