Generator and battery problems!!!! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » August 2003 » Generator and battery problems!!!! « Previous Next »

username (208.5.80.40)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   

So I got a new 4106 a bit ago and today the generator was replaced. Looks good, it's pushing 16 volts right now. It has not run since I ripped all the stuff out of it so I am figuring this has a bit to do with it. Is 16 to high.

Here is why I ask. I attempted to start it when I got it home (20 miles) and it ticks a bit but seems to be missing a few amps. The looked at the batteries and they are leaking a bit of acid! The charger says all is good with the batteries but not good enought to get it rolling. What is going on?

I have a four hour drive I have to make tomarrow, am I going to blow my batteries to bits? Will they piss out acid till the level is low enough (just filled a month ago when trying to figure out this problem).

I have yet to check the regulator voltage and plan on popping the clutch in the morning but am I risking to much?

Eric
Jayjay (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 1:29 am:   

Yes, 16 volts is too high ( try for 13.2 to 13.6 max), and yes they're gonna' piss acid all over everything. Turn on the lights and normal "loads" and set it up for 13.2 and the batteries should last for ever. Cheers...JJ
FAST FRED (67.75.111.190)

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 5:45 am:   

I too have readjusted the V reg to the area recomended by JJ.

And it works very well on long trips (10hour+) not to boil out the battset.

However IF you use the start batts as coach batts too , as many do ,

you should install a 120v charger that can bring the Voltage to 14.4 once in a while at the PP (power post) .

Works for me!

FAST FRED
username (208.5.80.137)

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 9:12 am:   

Thanks, I will give her a try. Still got to figure out the starting problem but it runs great. I thank you for the help.

TO Moab Utah I go.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration