A-730 fluid recommendation? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » August 2003 » A-730 fluid recommendation? « Previous Next »

Peter E (Sdibaja) (200.76.240.28)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:49 am:   

I am in a rather remote area of Mexico and doing a full service prior to a long trip in a couple of weeks.
I want to change the trans fluid on the A-730.
I have all other filters and fluids aboard but I am a bit short on Dexron III.
I have plenty of 15W-40 (for the genset and toad).

Should I MIX Dexron III and 15W-40, or just go with straight 15W-40?

This trans has always had Dexron III in it, never 15W-40.
Thanks! Peter
PS: I can get some more Dexron III but it is “inconvenient”.
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.34)

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:32 am:   

My research on this previously indicated that mixing the two should NEVER be done. In fact if accidentally mixed in the power steering units, Bab Steering recommends an immediate total flush of the system.
Unless someone can show an Allison bulletin allowing such a mix, I would not do it.
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.84)

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:50 am:   

Actually, the Dexron and motor oil will mix just fine, but I wouldn't do it except in an emergency. You should run either the 15w-40 or get more Dexron. Either fluid (among others) are allowed to be used by Allison.

Don-- I think what you may be refering to is mixing gear oil with motor oil or transmission fluid-- they do not mix and will foam when put together in a system.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Peter E (Sdibaja) (200.76.240.28)

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 5:44 pm:   

I had to make a trip to town for cement. I found the local lumber yard had 3 cases of Chevron Dexron III at $15 New Pesos a quart (about $1.35 US). I bought 2 of the three, now I have enough for TWO oil changes! (I hated to pay that much: 20% above what I pay at Costco in San Diego, but glad to have it)

Don and Geoff, thanks for your timely input.

Peter E…
Don KS/TX (69.19.16.1)

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 8:50 pm:   

No Geoff, I was referring to 10W40 and Dextron mix per Bab Steering. They were adamant that a total flush and drain was necessary. In the GMC 4905 Shepard steering, you can use EITHER, but often someone just tosses in some dextron when low - and previously filled with 15w40. I cannot recall the damage they claimed would result.
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.122.110)

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 9:09 pm:   

Hi, Don

I don't know what Bab Steering is saying. But I know you are not supposed put Dexron in a Sheppard steering system with the gear pump-- you are only allowed to put motor oil. Perhaps that is what they were worried about.

--Geoff

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration