Tennessee Bus, Part 6 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » August 2003 » Tennessee Bus, Part 6 « Previous Next »

R TERRY (205.188.208.39)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 6:57 am:   

If you've ever worked on a vehicle, you know that more time is spent finding parts and materials than what it takes to do the job. Sometimes, all you need is one little thing that, for some extraordinary reason, nobody has. The flip side of that same problem is when you know YOU have that thing (you saw it last week, right?) but you couldn't find it now if your LIFE depended on it! This is why they invented CUSS WORDS.

It looked like the genie had granted two of our wishes: The engine started; and, finally, it stayed running. How'd it run? My son has a word for it: "Swe-e-e-et!" Sweet indeed. It revved up to governed speed, was instantly responsive to throttle changes, and idled like a purring tiger cub. I thought, No way this bus would only go 30 miles-per-hour! It may purr like a kitten, but it roared like a lion. OK, a little lion.

Before the EPA came to arrest us, we shut it down, disconnected the batteries, and began our search for the one item no one seemed to have: a simple tire iron. That's right, one of those long, hardened iron things with a socket on one end and a flattened wedge on the other for popping off hub caps.

I didn't know it at the time, but things began to go wrong before we left home.

The most ponderous mistake of the trip became clear when the two ten-lug bus wheels I hauled all the way from Arizona would not fit on a six-lug bus in Tennessee. (At first, I was not going to admit I did this. Would you? Some things are personal and you just keep them to yourself.) I was shocked, couldn't move. Rigor mortis almost set in. An inner voice said, "Snap out of it, you IDIOT!"

I don't know what I was thinking. Why didn't I call ahead? Well... all my other buses have ten-lug wheels, even the 1950 rust bucket. Well... SO WHAT?!

It was threatening to rain. Occasional moments of slight sprinkles blessed us from above. Still, it was a great day to be in Tennessee. The black cloud that had descended upon us was just over MY head and no one else's.

The plan, then, was to fix the two tires and get the hell out of town. We brought with us the original equipment lug wrench from the 4104, that dual-purpose tool with sockets on each end for removing lugnuts and lowering the front bumper. Through this tool was a hole for inserting the leverage bar. This is what we didn't have. (Of course I have one, it's just.... you know...) We thought a simple tire iron from a car would suffice. Doesn't everyone have one of those? Nope. Nowadays, we lift our cars, including our pickup, with crappy little scissor jacks and flimsy, stinking little cranks! Did any tire shops have a car tire iron? Nope. Did any auto parts stores have one? Hell, no! I'm starting to go CRAZY. What is WRONG with these people?!

Ryan said, "Dad, you need to settle down."

R TERRY
two dogs (67.30.23.21)

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 7:37 am:   

junk yard...junk yard....or ....moble truck tire repair......go...... go.....are you going to be able to get a trip permit....GO.....GO...
Adam P (64.236.221.6)

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:24 am:   

You'll probably need a Big 3/4 inch breaker bar, heavy duty socket, and a three to four foot "cheater" pipe. Those old lug nuts are or could be torqued to a few hundred pounds.... I don't know that the tire iron is going to do it for you... you also might consider a small torch setup... to heat the lugs..(mapp/oxy or even propane)..at least soak them real good with a penitrating oil, "PB Blaster" is about the best, second choice would be WD-40
AP
grant goold (208.187.245.62)

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:07 am:   

Can't handle the delay between editions. My wife tells me that I need to step away from the computer and stop hitting F5. Please keep going, the story is fantastic and your gift of the prose is equal to the story. My son (12 yrs) and myself (more than 12 yrs) can hardly wait!!!.

Thanks for the gift.
Smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:52 am:   

I think what you need is one of those "CHINA" 3/4 drive socket sets. I would call around until I found one there usually around $50 or $75 and you might need it again before you get home.

Smoky,
drivingmisslazy (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 7:52 am:   

So "whats the rest of the story"? I check the computer almost hourly to find out what is happening.
BTW, feel free to stop by here in WV if you want.
I take care of a large field for the city, right along Spring Creek where you are welcome to park for a few days if you like. Be careful because it floods several times a year, but otherwise a nice place to park. No water, electricity or dump station but otherwise very nice. Two restaurants and a WalMart and they take up the streetlights at 10PM and roll up the sidewalks at 11, but otherwise a beautiful location.
Richard

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration