I'm insulated! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » I'm insulated! « Previous Next »

Johnny (67.242.221.169)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   

Well, my bus is, anyway. :)

Finally got the ceiling done.

And boy are my arms sore. :(
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.224.197.10)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 6:58 pm:   

Hay, I am just curious (and nosey) how did you insulate and what did you use? Understand the sore arm stuff.

Eventually I am going to have to do my Crown ex-shoolie, but keep putting it off. Freeze (+18F) in winter, sweat (110F) in the summer.
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.47)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 9:17 pm:   

I used common pink and blue foam sheets from house builder stock. An energetic wife with a butcher knife made it all fit with precision. I don't care much for the blown in foam, so this was cheap, work at your own pace, and turned out to be most effective.
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (198.88.152.22)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:07 am:   

What did that end up costing--when I was looking at my bus, EVERYTHING is based on 26". Funny, It's hard for me to work it out without a bunch of wastage.

i'm seriously considering a professional Urethane-Spray setup.

I have more than just the Bus to use it on.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Gary
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.37)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:45 am:   

If you got a good woman with a sharp butcher knife, waste is zero! Total cost was insignificant, do not recall the cost of the 4 by 8 sheets of stuff, mostly 1 1/2 inch stuff since it worked well for a GMC. You can see some of it in process at the photo links I posted above in the Continental Red posting by Two Doggies.
A lot of which is better depends on the converter. If you are a full time working guy serving ONLY as a general contractor whose time is valuable and don't want to get your own hands dirty anyway, by all means get it blowed. If you are with some budget restraints, and are a do it yourself type guy, definitely cut your own.
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.37)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:10 am:   

If you got a BAD woman with a sharp butcher knife, you are in a heap of trouble!

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   

I was thinking that if the woman had a sharp butcher's knife it's US that better be good ;-)

As for Zero waste, every damn thing in my bus is based on 26". I' didn't see how to get everything fit up without either throwing away about 2 - 4 square feet per sheet, or piecing in multiple pieces in a single cavity.

I wasn't going to "Get it" Blown, I'm considering buying the equipment to do it myself.

I figure, even if I get 100% usage, the iinsulation board is about $250. that would go, I think, about half way to buying the urethane foam setup.

Gary
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.45)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 9:50 pm:   

Another point Gary that I never even thought about til long after it was all done, is how flame resistant is (or is not) the stuff you put in, and R value differences. There was some discussion about one of them being VERY easy to get on fire, and if you did not do it just right you had about zero R value when done.
The cost of blow it yourself was WAY more than 500 when I priced it years ago, $250 don't sound far off for sheets to do it. I got mine thru a contractor friend account, heck of a discount.

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 1:09 am:   

I went to my local home ripoff today to get about a dozen sheets of Celotex. Guess what? they don't have it anymore. Damn.

As well, they only have 2' wide sheets (?).

I almost broke down and bought styrofoam boards, but they are deadly when they burn. Now, they all burn, but Styrofoam expels deadly vapors.

The Spray-on setup would be used in my boat as well, about enough cubic feet to do several busses. I think the setup is $500 - 700.

I just bought all my windows today (Woo-hoo!) $275 for the whole bus.

I think I'm going to table the insulation issue until the re-skin is over and the windows are installed.

Gary
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.73.229.76)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 3:12 am:   

Gary,

Celotex was bought out by the Pink Pather people and instead of developing this once superior rival brand, they shut it down.

Makes great business sense for someone but not me.

Peter.

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 5:26 pm:   

Bloody hell.

I'm going to stand down on the purchase of insulation for a bit. I got all my windows now, and just came across a super-cheap source for all the skin I need to replace.

In the meantime I am going to check on the purchase of a blow-in urethane setup.

As for the buyout, companies like Cisco do it all the time. Now when I buy Cisco product, more and more components say "Made in China".

as always, consumer loses, but only because we're stupid enough (Myself Included) to continue buying the product that put us in this situation.

(Stepping off soapbox now....)

Gary
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (64.114.233.211)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 8:10 pm:   

Gary, I understood that of the foams, polystyrene was the least toxic when burned, and I thought that styrofoam was the common name for this product.

Since insulation is such an important item in these coaches, I would think it would be good to get the facts right.

As to the polystyrene, I am going by the MSDS sheets. The only product of combustion besides CO2 and heat that was mentioned was a heavy black smoke. I didn't see any cautions about very toxic gases.

Now, are polystyrene and styrofoam one and the same product? According tho the dictionary that I have, they are the same thing. Does anyone know any different?

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:25 pm:   

Really?

In the complex where my shop is, another guy two shops down is an Aerospace contract engineer. We were talking about what to insulate the bus with, I had originally planned to use the Styrofoam insulation. He informed me that the vapors are highly toxic, in comparison to the other materials (Celotex, etc..) that just burned, but didn't kill you with the fumes.

His suggestion was to use a polybutylyne (I think) foam, but they had to revive me after I got the pricing on that.

Now, the cost difference between Styrofoam and and any of the others is dramatic. Like I said, that's what I originally intended to use.

Also, the Styrofoam is very flexible, the rigid urethane is.....rigid.

I believe styrofoam is just aerated polystyrene.

Where can we check this for sure?

Here is a link that says toxic, but not necessarily a completely reliable source.

http://www.daycreek.com/dc/asp/forum/display_message.asp?mid=1387

Here is another that says it is not (But they are selling the stuff)

http://www.aeromfg.com.au/styrofire.html

This was interesting:

http://www.guidezone.skl.com/shrinkin.htm

I spent about an hour looking around, and I did see numerous references to "Toxic" Styrofoam, but these were all sites banging the enviro-drum. Honestly, looked like a bit of junk science.

The sites that said styrofoam was not toxic had a vested interest in having that point of view communicated.

i'd sure like to get some unbias input, I'll run right down to home ripoff and get me a bus full o' styrofoam if we can determine that it's not more toxic than the others!

Thanks,

Gary

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   

this one lists their Styrofoam composite board as:

"Toxic Fumes released in fire situations"

http://www.finpan.com/msds/TDry_MSDS.pdf

Gary

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 2:56 pm:   

this MSDS (By Dow) says that Styrofoam is no more toxic when burning than other ordinary building materials:

http://www.ambrico.com/Documentation/Dow%20MSDS.pdf

Gary
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces) (65.74.65.5)

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:43 pm:   

Gary, I did notice that the agents used to shape the board seemed to be the principal worries. It didn't seem like the polystyrene itself was any more of a problem than burning wood, except it was easier to ignite.

Thanks for the research and posts.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 3:33 pm:   

Actually, in the link at:

http://www.aeromfg.com.au/styrofire.html

They illustrate that although Styrofoam IS flammable, it "Retreats" from flame, making it effectively less flammable than other materials.

My concern is that se don't get poisoned before we have a chance to get out. It sill blows my mind that it is less than flour.

Gary

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration