Problem w/conversions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Problem w/conversions « Previous Next »

degojo (68.35.161.40)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   

Heading south on I-25 behind a nice looking raised roof eagle when we hit a steep uphill grade. Eagle slowed to a crawl belching blue and black smoke creating a safety hazard. Crested the hill then he exceeded 80mph still belching black smoke. Conversions with wasted engines abound and are not subject to any inspections are a menace on the road, and this driver i will bet never had a cdl in his life
FAST FRED (67.75.106.246)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 5:35 am:   

Belching black smoke is NOT the sign of a wasted engine. It is usually too large fuel injectors.

FAST FRED
drivingmisslazy (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 7:03 am:   

Why do you think having a CDL would have changed this situation? I had the identical situation happen to me many years ago on a 4104 with a 6-71.

I was returning home from vacation and less than 100 miles from home. Suddenly I started belching black smoke that almost obscured the highway on upgrades and very severe power loss. On downgrades I could travel at the maximum speed the bus was capable of (about 70, as I recall) but still belching billows of black smoke. My choice was to try and find a reputable mechanic along the freeway or continue home to my own reliable mechanic. I elected to continue home to get the problem resolved.

The problem turned out to be only a loose inspection cover on the blower. The mechanic tightened the cover and the problem was resolved. No internal engine problem whatsoever.

The moral of the story is that it is not wise to condemn something or somebody until you know “the rest of the story” as my favorite radio broadcaster is wont to say.

Richard
Phil Dumpster (12.230.214.167)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 7:14 am:   

CDL or no CDL, it doesn't matter. There are inconsiderate people in this world, it's just a fact of life.

It could be the Eagle was having a mechanical moment, or the driver didn't understand that you don't just floorboard the accelerator on a hill lest you overfuel the engine.
drivingmisslazy (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 7:41 am:   

I really do not know about other Eagles, but on mine I can run it floorboarded without any sign of black smoke (8V92). In fact, the cruise control keeps "the pedal to the metal" on hard pulls.

Richard
two dogs (67.30.23.77)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 9:01 am:   

degalo..

in a perfect world,heavy equipment would go up hills in a zip and not get in your way..the world is not perfect.
Eagle 10 (216.204.105.38)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 9:04 am:   

Last week,about 50 miles from home the exhaust pipe from the turbo to the header broke and black exhaust went all over the back of the coach. It looked like I was on fire. I drove it home and replaced the $200 pipe and no more smoke. Sometimes you have to get the coach home or leave it in an unsafe area. I surely have more power with no leaks in the pipe.
Frank Allen (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 12:38 pm:   

The truck drivers have cdl s and I see terrible smoke coming out of them all the time. They are also some of the most dangerous drivers on the road, not to mention discourteous. I wish they would go back to rails.

Frank Allen
Tony H. (Bluegrass) (216.207.2.165)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 1:07 pm:   

Frank,

I disagree with your comments about truckers. Truck drivers cuss at discourteous drivers all day long for cutting them off and passing on a double yellow.

Tony Hickman
32-1/2 year Truck Driver
lost in the woods (67.233.187.170)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 2:11 pm:   

I drove for 18 years coast to coast and encountered all types of rude people whether they were driving 4 wheelers, scalemen, waitresses, freight receivers etc. Well, thats my 2 cents. Back to taking the floor out of my MC7
Frank Allen (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 2:13 pm:   

I dont beleive a cdl makes a bit of difference in one's ability to drive. There are some very good truck drivers out there and some bad, like every other driver. I don't cut anybody off any time.

Frank allen
two dogs (67.30.23.55)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 2:16 pm:   

Frank,

Think about a 70 foot truck (that's seven stories tall if it was standing up). It's as big as a house & weighs that much too.
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 3:52 pm:   

I believe that the major point of Degojo's post was that this is a good example of a driver who wasn't paying attention.

We've all seen it, both those of us who are/were professional drivers, and those of us who have never been paid to drive. Doesn't make any difference, we've all seen drivers who simply don't pay attention to what they're doing and don't care that they aren't.

THAT'S the problem Degojo was talking about.

Storal to the morey: Pay attention to what we're doing out there, be courteous, drive defensively, and set a GOOD example for others!

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
Adam P (172.164.225.100)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 8:27 pm:   

Hey, I'll jump in too!!! I saw this post this morning when it was young and thought I'd wait and see what others think. Funny, in a way, I agree with everyone, a little bit. Here are my thoughts...

Perhaps that person is limping along in his or her new bus for the first time... Is having a rough time with it out on the road.

As many of you know, I don't even own a bus or a small coach yet, though I'm here, learning all I can from you guys. Every now and then, from other, yet related, experiances, I may even be able to help you out. Here's where I'm going...

That very person might have been like any of you guys when you got your first bus. Or perhaps they are a friend of this board and are eager to share there "maiden voyage" story here or really need some help. Maybe they, too, are thinking, "Boy, I don't know why I'm getting all this smoke??? Maybe my friends at the busnut bbs will, and could help me out.... I feel so bad about all this smoke..."

Ya see???

AP
lost in the woods (67.233.187.156)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 9:32 pm:   

When I drove My MC7 home from the place I bought her,she had a bad oil leak that started about 50 miles into the trip. It took me 5 gallons of oil to go 280 miles. This stuff just happens.
degojo (68.35.161.40)

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 10:47 pm:   

My point was intended to be critical of those who fail to maintain or restore the drive train on their former commercial vehicles. I have read many posts that seem to suggest that a poorly running diesel is ok for a conversion as it no longer will be put under the strain of a commercial hauler. I would rather see a not so pretty but mechanically sound conversion than a slobbering interstate queen.
FAST FRED (67.75.113.60)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 5:24 am:   

The boards are a great help for folks these days , but there are still lots of purchased conversions owned by completly unknowledgable folks.

The smart ones join a converted coach club, or similar, as there is always someone that can help with a problem.

These folks may live in constant terror of anything ever happening and can get shafted as they go to truck stops if they can't find anyone to fix it for them. And, in my opinion, truck stops are a VERY poor place to take a coach.

We would all rather share the roads and lifestyle with a "mechanically sound conversion than a slobbering interstate queen", so give them some help when you come across them.

FAST FRED.
Karl 05 eagle (65.58.56.70)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 1:38 pm:   

Where is I-25 S or does everyone just know where this is?

I ask this because I was on I-25 S in Colorado recently in my Eagle (no raised roof). If this was me then I'm sorry. I have owned my Eagle for three months and I'm still updating the engine and running gear.

My question to Degojo is what what do you drive? Not everyone can replace the drivetrain before they use their coach.
two dogs (67.30.23.34)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 4:39 pm:   

It's really neat the way highway systems are numbered. All interstates that have a 5 at the end run north & south; all that run east and west have a zero at the end; 15 comes out of L.A. to Vegas & beyond, 25 starts at El Paso & goes north thru Albuquerque & north. Lots of GOOD planing went into the interstate system. Once ya' learn how it's all set up, it's very easy to navigate anywhere you want to go. The mile markers are very useful also. They start with a number 1 in the south & increase every mile to the north; same way... start in the west number 1 in each state & increase in number going east.
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.79.46)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   

Actually, It's my understanding that all highways that are north-south are odd, east-west are even.

I'd like to know the system that they used to number the tributary system, for instance 205 (In Portland) 505 (NorCal) 405 are all part of the I5 system, as 280, 680, and 880 are all part of I80 in the bay area.

Gary
Jim Ashworth (Jimnh) (172.143.124.51)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 7:37 pm:   

Interstate highway loops around a city begin with an even digit, those spurs going into a city begin with an odd number. For example, I-495 goes around Boston, MA and re-connects with I-95. I-195 goes into Fall River, MA from Providence, RI. It does not reconnect with I-95.

Hope this clears it up.

Jim
Derek (24.66.241.23)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 8:04 pm:   

That's 3 different versions of the US interstate system... Although I'm inclined to believe Gary's theory.

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 8:07 pm:   

Oh, very cool.

so is that all the rules?

Odd for N-S
Even for E-W
Ends in 5 for N-S Interstate
Ends in 0 for E-W Interstate
Begins with Even if it reconnects with Parent
Begins with Odd if single ended

Is that all the rules?

Gary
Erich (216.132.61.162)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 9:01 pm:   

The ending in 0 or 5 is incorrect.
I believe I17 goes north from Phoenix to Flagstaff AZ.
All the others are correct.

Erich
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 9:26 pm:   

I believe all this is thoroughly explained in the Rand McNally Road Atlas. Sorry but I do not have mine available to provide all the exact details.

I believe that Gary is correct. Also, the lowest numbered N/S freeways start in the west, I-5, to the highest numbered on the East coast, I-95. Similarly for the E/W freeways. The lowest numbered freeways start in the South, I-10, to the highest numbered in the North, I-90.

As two dogs indicated, the mile markers start in the western part of the state for E/W and from the South for N/S freeways.

Also all states (I believe) except for maybe California have adjusted their exit numbers to correspond with the mile marker. Georgia made the conversion a couple of years ago, and Florida made it last year. Previously they were just consecutive numbers of the exits with no relation to the mile markers.

Therefore exit 29 would be 29 miles North of the southern state border for N/S freeways, or 29 miles East of the western state border for E/W freeways.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall all the rules for the bypass numbering. But they definitely have a specific numbering system.

Richard
Dave Smith (66.183.111.78)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 1:49 am:   

This is one of the better expanations I know of.

http://www.ihoz.com/basic.html
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (208.186.36.231)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 5:19 am:   

One exception to the rule is US Hwy 93 which runs from just North West of Phoenix (Wickenburg), up to the Canadian Border. This is part of the NAFTA trade route.

BUT eventhough the odd numbered Hwy runs North to South, the mile markers in Arizona start at #1 at the Hoover Dam and increase whilst heading South to Wickenburg, which is as if they are treating it as an West to East road.

Peter.
john marbury (Jmarbury) (65.100.118.30)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 7:13 am:   

Yea Peter, but AZ. is weird anyway. It attracks "Madbrits":)
John
Erich (216.132.61.162)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 11:32 am:   

The numbering scheme we have been discussing is for the Interstate system.(The red/blue shield) The old US hiway system(black/white shield with "horns" ) does NOT follow that numbering scheme.

Erich
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.89.161)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   

Well according to my neighbors who have travelled this fair land, they say both have the same system.

So who knows and why would they have two different systems anyway?

Peter.

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 1:09 pm:   

Hey Dave, this is great--they also throw rocks at the naming of I238, which I drive regularly. I have never figured that one out either.

Gary

By Dave Smith ......
This is one of the better expanations I know of.

http://www.ihoz.com/basic.html
Erich (216.132.61.162)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 1:35 pm:   

Well according to my neighbors who have travelled this fair land, they say both have the same system.

So who knows and why would they have two different systems anyway?

Peter.

The U.S system started back in the 1920's or 30's.
I do not know what the rationale for numbering that system is. I do know that California has both US 101 and US 395 that are N-S. It used to have US 80 as E-W (was replaced by I-8 about 1970)

The Interstate Hiway system was started by as the Defense Hiway act in 1956. All Interstates are multi lane divided hiways with limited access.
A lot of the US hiways are still 2 lane roads. See US 6 in Utah or US 50 in Nevada and California.

Erich
Peter E (Sdibaja) (200.76.240.28)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 3:21 pm:   

The US highway numbering system was well planned but no one expected the growth and need for more highways... did not want to do Highway 15-1\2, so used new unused numbers...
Interstate system was better planned but the many bypasses were not anticipate, so we got the 805 and the 405, etc. That system was not in the "original" numbering plan...
FWIW, Peter E
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 5:42 pm:   

Yes, but there is a system, of sorts, for the spurs and bypasses on the Interstate system. To my knowledge there is absolutely no system for the US, State or County highways.
Richard
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.89.161)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:04 am:   

Erich,

If you re-read the ealier posts the subject includes both Highways and Interstates.

In fact the first reference to numbering was by TwoDogs, "It's really neat the way highway systems are numbered."

So please don't quibble over subject matters.

Take a look at any map book, and I think you will see that the US Hwy system uses the same rules as the Interstates, considering the Hwys were there first and many became interstates or parts of interstates. The hwys started off as two lane roads and now many are divided roads of interstate quality, but with local access.

Don't forget that it is from where the road actually starts and finishes denotes its direction, not how much it travels in one particular State. So if a interstate or hwy travels all North /South through one State, it may be an East/West designation due to its overall passage across the Country.

Peter.
two dogs (67.30.23.27)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 8:49 am:   

just remember...: "half the fun of having shoes , is red goose feet"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration