Relay for trailer lights Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Relay for trailer lights « Previous Next »

Ron in SD (12.167.162.2)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 11:06 am:   

I am having trouble finding the part number for a 24v coil/12v supply relay to use for my trailer lights. Since I pull a couple different trailers and may pull a friends boat once and while I don't want to change the bulbs all the time.

I think that bosch make a relay that will work but I have not found a part number that tracks out.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Ron in SD
'86 Prevost LeMirage XL
Abajaba (12.217.194.92)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 3:15 pm:   

Ron:

The relay that you need will have a 24 volt coil and there should be a current rating for DC voltages on the contacts. If you get a relay that is designed for switching AC power it will fail sooner than one designed for switching DC current.
Adam P (64.236.221.6)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 5:10 pm:   

Ummm I don't know if it has to mount somewhere predetermaned, But I happen to be a technical/electronics engineer.... if pre-determaned size does not matter, Digikey or Newark electronics sells hundreds of relays. 24volts DC (coil) is a popular size. Then the number of poles is up to you... Just make sure the poles are well rated.... Which they will be for a regular to large size relay (20~30 amps DC is common...) Here's a real quick digikey link:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/US/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch
And don't forget ohm's law. Figure all the lights on the trailer that will be on going through the relay... Then, add them all up...
in either watts or amps
if added in amps you already have your answer
but to convert from power (watts) to amps, it would be watts divided by volts equals amps...
HTH
AP
Jim Ashworth (Jimnh) (172.143.124.51)

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 - 7:23 pm:   

For the little Bosch cube relays, check out waytekwire.com

Their relay number is 75025 and is used with relay base number 75280 and 31073 crimp-on terminals. Great setup-- reliable, small, weatherproof and cheap.

Jim

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration