Front door for a Crown Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Front door for a Crown « Previous Next »

Jerry Campbell (206.163.131.26)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 11:33 am:   

I am looking for ideas for a front door for my '75 two axel Crown. I need a screen door too. I'm thinking of building an aluminum frame with hinges like a trailer so the screen door
will stick to the main door or close and leave the main door open. Then maybe cut down a solid core wooden door and cover it with epoxy and paint it the same color as the rest of the
bus, whatever that will be. What would you do?
Here's a few small pictures of whats going on so far.
http://www.peak.org/~jerryc/bus.htm

Jerry Campbell
Summit, Oregon
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.79.46)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 12:50 pm:   

There is a place southwest of Portland that has tons of vinyl windows and believe it or not, Motorhome doors, $25/ea.

If you to to the Yahoo Schoolbus conversion nuts group page and do a search, I bet you can find the exact info.

I bought 3.

Gary
boogiethecat (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 - 1:31 pm:   

I got rid of my front door entirely and moved it to mid-bus, starting directly behind the storage bay. I made a removable aluminum staircase that sits over the alternator/compressor area and makes servicing there extremely easy. Then filled in the old staircase to create another storage bay area, and the front in the cabin is now very nice for passengers. I filled in the front hole where the door was with the piece I cut out of the midsection. Not a ton of work but extrememly rewarding...

http://www.heartmagic.com/000BusInteriorFront.JPG

http://www.heartmagic.com/00busstairs.JPG

http://www.heartmagic.com/00StorageSpace.JPG

http://www.heartmagic.com/Bus.jpg
Clifford Neal (65.174.115.34)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 8:54 pm:   

boogiethecat,

Nice photos, would like to see the rest of the bus if you have others.
boogiethecat (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 9:20 pm:   

Clifford, email me privately and I'll send a VERY long list of photos....

gareee "at" heartmagic "dot" com
William R. Graf (Billfrombrazil) (216.145.182.154)

Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   

When we bought our Crown it already had the door moved to just over the front of the engine. Works out well there but I want to make a new stairway when I get time. Then I opened the area back up where the original door was to construct the elevator that allows my wife to enter and exit with her walker. That worked out well because I didn't lose much of any interior space. Maybe I will have some pics too before leaving our son's place
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.164.175.176)

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 7:45 pm:   

Since I need to cut $costs$ and such, the front door on my '74 10-wheeeeeler (VIN 37317) shall remain factory stock.

Have reinforced and extended both the door and frame to fit a house type lock with deadbolt and extended the rubber flaps...

...to keep out snakes, skunks, rats and bats and bugs and stuff. $Cheap$ and effective. I also like the air door dohickie buttons which open and...

....close the front door with air pressure and the remote key ring button that does it from a distance...if the door is unlocked. CROWNS FOREVER! :) :)

Henry of Cave Junction OR
Jerry Campbell (206.163.131.10)

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:03 pm:   

Thanks for the input. I think I will go to Gaston, a little southwest of Portland, OR, to the guy who has many used RV doors and try to get a frame from him. If not I will build one.
I like the air on the front door too, maybe I can figure out how to use it on my door.
Jerry
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (198.88.152.20)

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:26 pm:   

Hi Jerry,

Yeah, that's the place where I got mine. When I was there, they still had a bunch left. They still had a few "Round-Top" doors left and numerous "Square-tops".

$25 ea.

Did you find them on the Yahoo Schoolie list?

Gary
Jerry Campbell (206.163.131.22)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 9:52 pm:   

I had heard about them somewhere, sometime and when you mentioned them, Gaston came to mind. I have a friend who lives there so I asked him to check it out. He found the place and the people and sent me some photos with their phone #. They say they are not really open any more and you must call and let them know when you were coming.
From the photos it looked like they have quite a few nice looking doors. I'll have to get up there before the rains set in.
Jerry
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (198.88.152.22)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:01 am:   

LOL, I'm not sure they were ever "Open". They bought the house, I can't remember if the previous owner died or just left, but they bought the place, and they took a BIG discount on the property if they agreed to dispose of them. there's literally thousands of them, primarily vinyl windows.

As you drive through the countryside near Gaston, you'll see tons of houses with brand new windows. Even ratty old sheds.

there are only a few RV Items, but you only need one, maybe two. Hint: the Door hardware costs more than they wqant for the entire door.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration