FLAT TOWING LIST Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » FLAT TOWING LIST « Previous Next »

Brian Houk (65.41.120.12)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:01 am:   

Does anyone know of a list of flat towable vehicles?
I have a 98 Toyota Corolla with an automatic tranny in it. I have seen some cars with automatics that could be flat towed, is this one of them? I would love to be able to flat tow it behind the MCI 96A3 I
bought last year!
Thanx
Brian
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (65.37.89.161)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:41 am:   

One of the most helpfull websites for this sort of info is:

www.towingworld.com

and the list of towables/not towables is at:

http://www.towingworld.com/towables.html

Unfortunately, they only list back to the '99 Corolla and state the Automatic is NOT towable.

The only way to confirm one way or the other is to read the Owner's Handbook, but some cars have been known to be towable even though the book doesn't say either way......

Peter.
smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 12:44 am:   

Brian, I am almost certian that your toyota cannot be towed. If my memory serves me right your toyota has a A-140E transaxle and this is not a towable.But I will check for sure and post.The only automatics that can be towed are honda,most saturns(some early model saturn TAAT transaxles had a plastic caged neddle bearing inside the 2nd clutch hub that could melt if towed for very long distances)any 4x4 with a "N" posistion on the transfer case shifter. and finaly GM cars such as the new malibu with the 4T40E transaxle.

Smoky,
Jayjay (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 1:25 am:   

Brian, in a recent converation at the Toy dealer The shop mgr. told my I could flat tow mine about 1/2 mile before damage occured. He said to not even drop it into neutral, and "coast" down a hill or mountain.
So, I traded it for a stick (Toy, natch) Try a Saturn (ugh!) or a Honda, (which has certain limitations.) Cheers...JJ
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.184)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 3:10 am:   

Don't forget that you can usually install a driveline disconnect or a transmission luber from Remco:

http://www.remcotowing.com/

They also have a list of vehicles for their products.

I installed a Remco driveline disconnect in my Sonoma pickup, ordered it direct from Remco.

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Phil Dumpster (12.230.214.167)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 5:38 am:   

They make one for front drive cars, too. It goes on the passenger side and disconnects that wheel from the transaxle. The differential takes care of the drive side wheel.
Smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:09 pm:   

Brian, your corrola,is defitenly not a towable,further more your A140E transaxle is among one of the least forgiving when it come to towing,

Smoky,
Smoky (12.222.48.5)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:15 pm:   

Brian, your corrola,is defitenly not a towable,further more your A140E transaxle is among one of the least forgiving when it come to towing,

Smoky,

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:01 pm:   

Thank You all for you responses, it appears that I am SOL when it comes to flat towing the 98 Corolla, unless another company besides Remco (they make them for a 92!) makes an axle decoupler for it or Remoco decides to make one at a later date.
Brian
Matt (207.220.136.213)

Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 12:32 am:   

This is for a flat tow only correct? If using a wheel dolly (like uhaul) then it should be no problem correct?

Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 8:31 pm:   

Matt, yes that is correct, and if that is my only option, I will purchase a tow dolly, but I'd really much rather flat tow the car. Hopefully by the time my conversion is ready Remco will make a axle lock for it.
Brian

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration