TN bus, Part 11 million Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » August 2003 » TN bus, Part 11 million « Previous Next »

R TERRY (64.12.96.235)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 1:02 am:   

Since leaving home the previous week, we had driven over 2000 miles, eaten God knows how many sandwiches, and moved our project bus with the aid of a tow chain all of 20 feet. What an accomplishment!

I was not ready to give up, but these factors were critically pressing: It was Tuesday afternoon in Tennessee; I had to be back on the job in Phoenix Friday morning; the bus had to be off that property that day; and we needed to be on the road As Soon As Possible! GAME OVER!

We unhooked the tow chain and tried again to get the bus to move on its own, but it would not go forward, even at full throttle. Should it have moved one micro-inch, it would have only been because of the jet propulsion effect of the exhaust blowing out the tail pipe. My admonition was still valid, Stand WAY back!

It was demoralizing. Annoyed, I shoved the shift lever into Reverse despite the grinding noise. Wait, the bus began to move backward. (!) I added some throttle, it went backward faster. Wow, progress! (Is going backward progress in your book?) OK, stop the bus, jam it into Forward and see what happens. Slowly, the bus started to move forward. (Adios, folks! See you in Arizona!) With the engine racing, it gained enough speed to motor up the crest of the alley and on over to the street a half a block away. As Will Smith would say, "Now that's what I'M talkin' about!"

Just prior to bouncing into the street and wiping out a dozen cars, I thought this would be a good time to test the brakes. Whoa, monster! Whoa!

Earlier...

Arche's Recap consisted of a tall, stand-alone garage at one end of a vast empty parking lot that used to be part of a now defunct trucking distribution warehouse. On one side of the warehouse was the loading docks; on the other, the railroad tracks. Looking as deserted as if World War Two was over, Arche's operation, along with a few semi trailers parked down at the opposite end, was the only sign of commerce.

When we retrieved our wheel that morning, I asked Arch if any of those empty parking spaces were for rent. He said, "Yeah, they're for rent; $30 a month." I told him I didn't know yet, but I might be back with that bus. He said, "I'll be here."

Back down at the end of the alley...

The brakes worked as all good brakes should work, bringing the bus to an impeccable stop with the utmost finesse, courtesy of its intrepid daredevil test pilot.

Is it time to celebrate? The Moment of Truth has come and gone... The white elephant has trundled up the hill and down the other side... Is the beast ready to do beastly things? "Ryan, hop in, let's go!" The chase car was standing by, the bus babysitter having graciously voluteered to become our entourage, and Arch, possibly eating a Moon Pie at that very moment, was sure to go home at exactly 4:59 PM, with or without us. No problem.

Ryan held on for dear life as I eased the throttle open. Nothing. More throttle, more nothing. Zoom, zoom, zoom. Nothing, nothing, nothing!

If anything was "not good" before, it doesn't count. THIS... is NOT GOOD! I need to learn some serious cuss words right now and I mean it!

R TERRY
Geoff (Geoff) (66.238.120.22)

Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 8:07 am:   

If you are lucky a clutch adjustment might be all you need. How about the old fuel in the tank? If it has been sitting it is bound to have algea in it which will clog up the filters and fuel line once you start driving it. This requires draining and flushing the fuel tank (ask Scott!).

--Geoff
'82 RTS CA
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.43)

Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 9:07 am:   

I don't think so Geoff, motor is screaming and it is an automatic! I am waiting to see if it is just low on fluid.
Jayjay (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:15 am:   

Forget the tranny...way it sounds he just needs one of the new variable vector thrust nozzles for the exhaust pipe. Hurry up Randy...the suspense is killing us. ...JJ

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration