What do you use on Aluminum to preser... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » What do you use on Aluminum to preserve it? « Previous Next »

Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 12:59 pm:   

Question -

I can't remember (now THERE is a common occurance) what the coating/paint is that you use to preserve aluminum that acts something like POR-15 does for steel. I have a few corroded areas that I want to stop the action, but it isn't bad enought to replace.

Also, what would be a good material to separate the steel from Aluminum. I am putting extra support in the roof for the AC units and don't want to start a corrosion problem with dis-similar metals in contact. Would duck-tape work (one more of many uses).

Help???

Doug
St Louis MC9
Bill Gerrie (216.185.72.14)

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 7:14 am:   

Doug
I used duct tape on my bus 18 years ago and to this day (touch wood) I have no corrosion problems. The time span speaks for itself. Bill
Bob Wood (66.208.219.185)

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 8:37 am:   

Doug,
Zinc Chromate is the primer that is used on aircraft aluminum. It is sold in green or yellow coloring. It doesn't penetrate the aluminum like POR15 does steel. You would want to clean the corrosion from the aluminum first, and then coat with zinc chromate, then paint. Very tough to clean badly corroded aluminum. Best to replace with new. A product called alumiprep is used to etch the surface, or scotch brite works also, and then the surface is coated with alodine to help prevent corrosion before the primer is applied. Hope this helps.
Bob.
Ken Turner (Pipesusmc) (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 11:31 am:   

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=alodine&btnG=Google+Search

This link should help
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.224.197.10)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 6:52 pm:   

On a somewhat related subject, the very $cheap$ low bid white roof paint job on my Crown ex-schoolie is peeling away from the primer.

The kinda red primer seems to be sticking to the aluminuminummm quite well, it is just the white top coat that is peeling.

Right now I am ignoring it since I'm lazy by nature and the $budget$ does not allow a total repaint job.

Eventually all the white will have to come off. Anyone ever polish ALL the aluminum skin on a Crown Super Coach? Carry on.
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (198.88.152.22)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 7:04 pm:   

"Anyone ever polish ALL the aluminum skin on a Crown Super Coach?"

Oh, now that would be cool.

Gary
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   

A SILVER BANANA!!!

LOL

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration