Electronic engines with automatic trans Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Electronic engines with automatic trans « Previous Next »

LClinton (67.74.197.224)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 4:28 pm:   

I am in need of some nuts and bolts information on the possible engine and trans combinations. What does it take to use a Detroit series 60 or Cummins n14 electronic engine coupled to a Allison HT740? I'd like know my options. I've heard you could do it but need to know the details.
This has got to be the best place to find out the facts.
Thanks
Larry
lclinton@arczip.com
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (208.186.36.80)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:05 pm:   

Larry,

Simply one needs a method of connecting the modulator to the throttle pedal. With the Series 60, as it is all electronic you need to add a throttle position sensor somewhere. Depending upon which DDEC series you have will depend upon which method you can use.

I have been told that I may be able to wire it into my DDEC II, but often it is just as easy to add another TPS to the underside of the throttle pedal along side the existing one. Apart from that, the trans needs nothing other than a cooling system and installation and a higher rear end gear to keep the Series 60 at cruise speed of 1450 to 1650 rpm.

I am heading this route and am looking for a 2.80 rear end gear for the Rockwell in my Freightliner to get me back to the same rpm's I have with my 3.91 and 0.72 overdrive.

I am not sure whether to go for the 750CR or the 740CR Allison. As yet I haven't got the relevant info to see if that with the narrow gear set, coming down one gear will actually act as if I was just dropping out of overdrive when I encounter a hill or if I would need the slightly larger drop in ratio that the 740 will grant me.

Peter.
Chris (208.180.160.152)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 6:22 pm:   

You can get an electric modulator from your allison dealer. you hook this up with a standard spst relay which is activated by the computer on your engine. One of the digital outputs on the computer is reprogramed for this purpose. Did this on my MC9 with a 60 series DDECIII, works great.
Peter Broadribb (Madbrit) (208.186.36.80)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 9:23 pm:   

Chris,

Excuse my ignorance, but do you mean a single pole single throw relay by spst?

What sort of signal is being sent to the modulator? I would have thought it was more than just an "on/off", I would have thought it would be more like the variable signal that vacuum modulators gave on Turbo 350 auto trans.

I am running DDEC II so I don't know if the computer can send this signal or not, that is whay I was advised to use another TPS.

I did find an upgrade from a DDEC II to a DDEC IV but the guy wanted $1500 for it and when you think DD was offering upgrades a few years ago for $300, it is a bit expensive and really what difference would it make to me other than a World Tranny would fit right in. Hmmmmm, now here we go again........ LOL.

Peter.
chris (208.180.160.152)

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 3:22 pm:   

The relay mentioned is a standard relay available at most any parts store under many different brands. The spst stands for single pole single throw. One pole on the relay recives power from the battery and the computer which is hooked to another terminal on the relay simply puts this circit to ground at a specific rpm ( you choose this during programing ) when this happens it energises the coil within the relay which cause a set of contacts also in the relay to supply power to the modulator. I do not know if a DDECII has these digital outputs or not

dd

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration