My method for polishing Alcoa wheels Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » My method for polishing Alcoa wheels « Previous Next »

Chuck MC8 (67.34.138.168)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 6:21 am:   

OK, here's my disclaimer up front. Like most everything I do, It's rarely the quickest, best, least amount of effort,or least damaging to whatever it is I'm messing with. This works for me, and after much trial and error ( mostly error)
I thought Id pass along my results.
Here's my Alcoa saga. I bought 6 Alcoa's that were still on a semi truck. (I paid $100 each) I believe this is the best way to buy undamaged wheels, rather than from a slavage yard. There are certainly good used wheels in the salvage yards. I just figured the ones that had been on the road yesterday had a better chance of being "Good". This paticular rig was going on the current trend, changing to 22.5 wheels.
There are methods to checking Alcoa wheeels that are described on their website.
Unfortunately, the only way to thorougly inspect these wheels, they have to be CLEAN. Not necessarily shiny, but clean. If you buy used wheels from any source, before hand , study the Alcoa site for inspection proceedures and pitfalls. Have an agreement with the seller for perhaps a 24 hr exchange or refund window. That will give you time to get them home and clean and inspect for cracks and other damage.
Oh yeah, I was posting about cleaning.
All six of my wheels were polished. So, what I recieved was : 2 steer wheels (Of course, all the wheels are the same, I'm just reffering to the polished side) and 4 drive wheels. Well the fronts and drive wheels look great. But the wheels that are to go on my tag alxe, Unfortuanetly are now turned around and mount the same as the front wheels. Which is cool from under the bus. That nice polished side being turned in. But, on the the side that now becomes the "seen side" they are NASTY. There is about 1/16" grease/tar/roadkill combo on the part that I want to be looking like a mirror.
Now, here's my proceedure. First, If at all possible, clean and polish before you mount the wheel on the bus. My first step is "purple stuff"
degreaser. Sold by other names, but HD degreaser applied 100% and then scrubbed with a brush.
( Here's an accidental find, I bought a nearly new tire that had tar on it and tried everything I could think of to remove it...then the pressure washer, it zips it right off)
OK First the degrease and scrub brush. Do this as many times as necessary to get the gunk off. Mineral spirits for the Tar on the wheel
(usually some on every wheel).
After I've gotten it as clean as possible, I use an mag wheel acid cleaner and scrub brush. Lot's of folks don't like the acid, so decide for yourself. I like it.
What I've found is that Alcoa's have a very fine machined surface, that's mostly ridges like lathe turning lines. There very vine, you can see them and feel with your fingernail. In looking at my other wheels, this machined surface was removed. The wheels clean up nice with the machined surface, but I was'nt able to get that "Mirror" shine that matched my others. Also the ridges trap dirt and remnants of polish.
I used my Black and Decker 5" obbital sander, with a fine disc and sand the whole surface of the wheel. Just removing the little ridges.
Next, Automotive rubbing compound. I bought some polishing felt discs that fit on my cordless drill.
Apply the rubbing compound with the drill and buffer wheel. This step removed the swirl marks left by the sander.
Lastly, I use "Mothers" mag wheel polish( I tried several others and concluded this brand works best) Apply with a cloth and then just buff with a clean towel.
I tried several trial and error methods on a 4"x4" spot on the wheel. Rest of the wheel was clean, but I worked this spot to the finish I desired, and then knew the steps, time and effort to make the whole wheel look this way.
It worked for me. I know kits are sold to do this , but here's my cost, $1.99 for the rubbing compound. I keep degreaser here all the time, so I already that that. The felt polishing wheel cost a few dollars. Small container of Mothers was $4.99.
I already had the samder. Another tip, Home depot sells a 6" buffer bonnett pad that will fit on an air powered DA sander. If you have one, Use it to buff that final shine on your wheels (stainless too!)
Hope this helps! Chuck Lott Douglasville Ga.
Tony (216.207.2.130)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 6:49 am:   

Here Is a method that Truckers use that really work good on Aluminum,Get ( Green ) polishing compound ( Jewelers Rouge ) from Truck Stop
Break It up Into small Pieces and put It Into a Gallon Jug ( Milk Jug will be fine ) Mix In Mineral Spirits until It makes a paste, I haul it around In Truck and while I am driving down the Rd. It gets shook up, take a shop towel put some on it and work it Into what ever you are working on, ( If It turns Black that means Its working ) let It set for 10 minutes It will dry Into a powder, take another shop towel and wipe It off, really simple and produces a lasting shine and If you break Into a sweat you are working too hard.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration