Help! Windshields Falling Out Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Help! Windshields Falling Out « Previous Next »

Robert Munrow (205.188.208.39)

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 1:22 pm:   

I have an Eagle 10 that we bought new windshields and seals for. Bought the windshields from Curved Glass and the seals from International Bus Parts. I had a professional instuller install them. First time around we tried the larger seal with trouble, so we called IBP and they sent us the smaller diameter seal. but noew they are coming off the rail in the top corners. The coach is not finished and has not been put on the road. I have contacted IBP and also Norris at Jefferson with no real ideas of problem. Desperately need help Thanks Bob
David Anderson (168.215.176.175)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 5:08 pm:   

I replaced both my Model 10 windows and seals.

Are they pooching out or pulling away?
If the seals are pulling away from the rails, the opening is too large. If they are pooching or puffing the window out or forward, the openings are too big.

If the above is true, you may have to shave the rails to make the opening bigger, or remove rails and shim them closer to make the opening smaller, the former being much easier than the latter.

I didn't know there were two seal sizes. I replaced mine with the same size that was removed.

Good Luck.

David Anderson
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 9:27 pm:   

"If the seals are pulling away from the rails, the opening is too large. If they are pooching or puffing the window out or forward, the openings are too big."

David, I am having a little trouble understanding this paragraph. Can you please elaborate further?
Richard
Duane (24.217.163.108)

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   

I just replaced the windshields on an 89 Eagle Model 20. The glass came from curved glass and the rubber mouldings from Internation Bus. We also had an extrmely tight fit. It took 3 people and a jar of vaseline to put them in. At first we coiuld not get them installed. I have a professional come over and he brought with him a very large jar of vaseline. He has so much on them we could harldy hold on to the windsheild, but them slipped right in after that. Good luck hope this helps.

Duane

St. Louis MO
Roberet Munrow (205.188.208.39)

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:44 pm:   

Dave Iappreciate your come back. I don't understand the pooching out or pulling away. Both windshields are coming off from the rail at the top where the windshield curves. when the rubber comes off the windshield naturally falls forward. when these were installed it was very hard also. the seals I have are the same as for an 01 and an 05 Please help me through this delima Thanks Again Bob
David Anderson (168.215.176.190)

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:56 am:   

If they are falling off the rail then the rail needs to be closer to the rubber or farther away from the bus frame. Therefore, the opening is too large. Since you say its at the corners that means the radius on the rails is wider than the radius on the glass, too much wider. You would be able to see that if you held the glass up to the frame without the rubber seal.

You may need to get the bigger size rubber since there is no way to shorten that rail radius. With the wider seal you could grind down the rail a bit in the horizontal and vertical plane (not the radiuses) so it would fit. (I mention this because you said the big seal was too tight).

A tip for installation. I inserted my glass in the rubber on my work table. On the outside of the rubber chanel, (the part that goes over the rails), I put a small diameter nylon rope all the way around. I laid the window up into the rails and seated the bottom as best I could. I pushed from the outside inward, slowly pulling the rope toward the back of the coach, careful not to tear the rubber with the rope. This pulled the rubber over the rail and seated the channel on the rail. It worked very well.

If you use some lubricant, use GO-JO. I wouldn't use vaseline, as it is difficult to remove. GO-JO will eventually evaporate.
two dogs (67.30.23.17)

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 8:41 am:   

I'd say the rubber is wrong..sounds like the first rubber was right...vasaline is bad for rubber,will eat it up,petrolium product,the rope works ,and go-jo works,off hand ,kinda worried about your installer,I'd try a different guy
Jayjay (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:37 am:   

The old windshield fit just fine, and the new one doesn't? I'd send the glass back and find a new supplier. Check the dimensions of the rubber (and glass) against a known item that fits. I've recently seen the same tight fit problem on an Eagle, and I feel that the mold that the window is pulled from is bad, since so many of you guys seem to have trouble. ...JJ
David Anderson (168.215.176.198)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:30 am:   

I have to agree with two dogs. When I replaced mine, it was tight. I had a friend who replaced his several months after mine. His was tight. I think you will have to go to the larger rubber. Also, did you install the rubber lock ring in the rubber seal? For me, that was by far more difficult than installing the window and rubber onto the frame rails.

David Anderson
Alan Baker (205.188.208.39)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 5:49 pm:   

I Had the same problem. The top of the window kept popping out of the seal. it kept popping out until I had $450 invested in the instlation man. I changed installers, it went in the 1st try and has been in for over 2 years.
As far as I know Curved glass is the only show in town, and the glass is made and imported from Australia. Could be wrong
Alan
Voodoo Lounge (66.159.206.45)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 7:08 pm:   

In another life I was a glazing contractor with a large part of my work devoted to automotive and heavy equipment glass. If the glass and rubber are the same size that came out, it will go back in.
DO NOT grind, cut, bend or in any way modify the frame or the glass!!!
My lubricant of choice to install large glass in a tight rubber was a mixture of 30 wt motor oil and kerosene. When the kerosene evaporates it takes the volatiles in the oil along with it. A good cleaning with a rag and then glass cleaner will remove whatever residue remains.
First put the rubber on the glass and as was previously stated use a 1/4 nylon rope to put into the grove that receives the frame. Then lubricate completely with the "juice". When installing you may have to start the top and pull in the bottom--maybe the other way around. Start in the middle and as you pull the rope the rubber and glass will magically suck into the frame. There are also plastic paddles available from glazing suppiers for coaxing the rubber into tight spots. I learned to use a cotter pin puller (The Hook) but be careful you don't tear or scratch anything when using metal tools around glass.
Your coaches workshop manual should have detailed instructions on glass replacement. My Flx manual has excruciating detail on that subject. Don't give up. If it was easy anybody could do it!
Alan Heaberlin
Tom Hamrick (Tomhamrick) (167.83.101.23)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:15 am:   

This string is great info! I have new windshields and seals for my Model 10 and need to put them in. This has helped me get ready to take on the task.
Tom Hamrick
84 Eagle 10S
two dogs (67.30.23.66)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 4:57 pm:   

the rope needs to be about 1/4 " dia.kinda like sash cord Tom & the paddels from a glass shop & the cotter pin remover from a hardware store,it really is worth more money to have a GOOD,EXPERIENCED, glassman...& go-jo is better on the rubber

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration