Help! Onan 6.5 Emerald Plus Gas Engine Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Help! Onan 6.5 Emerald Plus Gas Engine « Previous Next »

Duane (24.217.163.108)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 10:18 pm:   

I started the generator today and it ran fine. I ran it for about 30 minutes then turned it off. I came back an hour later and now NOTHING. It does not crank,click or anthing. I have check power to the red cable at the generator and to the ground and I have 12 volts. What could have happened?

Duane
Brian James Houk (Brianmci96a3) (65.40.145.115)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:49 am:   

Duane, with so little info, it would be hard to say, BUT, it is probably a simple fix. I say again PROBABLY. Now you say you checked the red wire at the generator... What wire, the battery cable to the starter? (I am assuming this unit HAS a starter)It SOUNDS like your battery is good... when you say you have 12 volts are you using a digital voltmeter or a test light? If you are using a voltmeter and the battery is fully charged and reads only 12 volts it COULD be bad, if it was closer to 12 and a half volts and above it is probably fine. FIRST take the test light if you have one, attach it to the POSITIVE terminal of the battery and touch it to the bare metal of the starter CASE if it lights you probably do not have a problem with a bad ground BUT make certain that the battery is fully charged, and that NONE of the battery cables to the generator are loose, as well as the terminals on the battery. Check the terminals for corrosion especially if they were loose and remove any you find. You say the red wire from the battery that goes to the starter solenoid has 12 volts, but the small wire on the "S" terminal of the solenoid is the wire that needs to have 12 volts when the key is turned to the start position. If you are using a test light, ground it on the NEGATIVE post of the battery and touch it to the "S" terminal (watch yourself, the engine may start)and turn the key to the start position, if the you have a full 12 volts there and the test light comes on...it is probably the starter solenoid, (BUT it
could be a bad ground as well so make certain all cables are tight) If the test light DIDN'T light up when you turned the key, I would examine the back of the ignition switch, any loose wires there? If there is a loose wire and you feel certain you can see where it goes, you probably found the problem... No loose wires... take the test light and probe the back of the switch there should be at least one wire with twelve volts going into the switch, turn the key to start, if you had 12 volts coming in there should now be another wire with 12 volts coming out that leads to the solenoid, if you had no light at the solenoid, but there is 12 volts at that wire at the switch; it's likely the wire from the switch solenoid thats the problem. If there is 12 volts going into the switch, but no other terminal lights when the switch is turned to the start position, it is probably the ignition switch. If you did not have 12 volts going into the igntion switch then you must examine ALL the wires
going into the ignition switch: ONE has to lead back to the POSITIVE post of the battery for the starting system to work, inspect all crimp fittings and wires....WHEW, well I'm tired now. If you aren't able to find your problem with this info I'll be surprised...
Brian

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration