Continental Trailways Red Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Continental Trailways Red « Previous Next »

two dogs (4.72.30.52)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   

This will only interist "some"..I just got back from the paint shop..one gallon of Dupont centari is 175.00,,,(YUK),,,went to my local "farm supply" (GEBO'S)..Massey Ferguson red is the same color 19.95 a gallon...
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.208)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 6:39 pm:   

Hmmm, Paint the tractor and the bus at the same time?? Don't know if I would want "Ford Tractor Red" on 40ft of bus (although looks fine on our old 8N)! ;)

Lorna
two dogs (67.30.23.94)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 7:31 pm:   

wow...(?????)didn't say anything about ford.
Adam P (172.155.169.153)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 8:21 pm:   

Hello, I can certainly speak with authority on this one.... (As many of you know, I'm the tractor nut) DON'T USE THE FARM PAINT!!!! As a matter of fact, I own a Massey (and many others) and from time to time, I contribute on "Yesterdays Tractors" (YTMAG.com) on just this very subject. I would not paint my 45 year old Massey with that stuff!!! What you are looking at, while in the "farm store" is synthetic "enamel" paint. IT FADES AND TURNS CHAULKY!!! Inside of three years or so.... Yes the paint you saw at the Dupont store was spendy,,, and the truth of it is, that's only two thirds the cost... You need reducer, hardener, and maybe a shot of FEE (fish eye eliminator). It gets real expensive quickly....
So now what??? My recommendation (and I don't work for them...) would be the brand NAPA carries, Martin Senoir (sp?) Ask for an Acrylic Enamel; get the right reducer for your temp/climate, and some hardener... Also, you should use a positive air face mask, as the ISO's in the hardener are lethal.... The NAPA paint is a lot less expensive, does the job right, when you do the prep work right, and will give you long lasting results. If you want, go to the tractor sight I mentioned, then to view all discussion forums, then to paint and body work... Not many folks painting old iron with that stuff.
HTH,
AP
PS I'm thinking of changing my "handle" to something like "Tractor Nut".... what do you guys think???
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.47)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 9:11 pm:   

Adam speaks the truth doggie guy, I been there, done that, can vouch for the IHC Red being the same quick to chalk stuff.
What I used was one of the discount paint places Acrylic Enamel, been years now the the bus still looks like new, at 39.95 a gallon made it more reasonable.
Best choice of all, I sprung for one of those turbine true HVLP setups (from TIP tools), best money I ever spent, it has painted two buses total now. Biggest difference is that the gallon of paint you buy gets on the bus rather than everywhere else. Oh yeah, they gave me several hundred bucks to use the photos and story in their catalog! Just love them free paint jobs. (was Ms April 2002 cover and centerfold in Bus Conversions Magazine if y'all got a copy and want to check out the paint job.)
Nelson (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 9:49 pm:   

I want to go with a light fine metalic gray. can you get the metalics in the acrylic enamel?
what is a turbine true HVLP setup? Is it eaiser to paint with?

Nelson, Knoxville TN.
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.37)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:27 am:   

Sure, I did mine in metallic acrylic enamel. Use some hardener and gloss additive, fool people into thinking you put Imron on it. If I was smart enough to post a photo, I would. You can go to the following links to see my "free" paint job (and lots of other bus photos):

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32f21028487

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32f22344518
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.37)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:35 am:   

I forgot the other question. Go to the following link for the answer about HVLP turbine stuff: http://www.tptools.com/statictext/hvlp_quest_answ.asp
If you go to the home page: http://tptools.com there is lots to learn, and their catalog if free, they love buses too!
two dogs (67.30.23.3)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:07 am:   

I want to apologize to everyone,due to my inability to comunicate,one person thought I was going to paint a Ford,one thought I wanted advise & one thought I wanted aproval,I was just trying to say :"IF" you have a RED CONTENENTAL TRAILWAYS BUS, & want to touch up some places,massey ferguson red is the same SHADE/TINT
Adam P (64.236.221.6)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:45 pm:   

Well from me, there's no need to apologize, (though you got me wondering as to which one I am!!!) I just look at it like a friendly exchange of info!!! And hopefully we all learned something here.... I did. No harm in that...
john marbury (Jmarbury) (65.100.118.17)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 3:37 pm:   

Don,
How many Gallons of paint did you use to paint your bus?
John
Doug Dickinson (Dougd470) (65.161.188.11)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:54 pm:   

Hey Don

What were all the bullet holes from?

Doug
St Louis MC9
Bill K. (209.173.120.176)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:11 pm:   

All I can say is us a good paint. I don't know about anyone else, but the time to do the job is where it is all at. and it takes the same amount of time to prep and paint weather you use good paint or the cheap stuff. The difference being that you will not have to do it over again in a coupl of years. Pay now or pay later, been there done that, or as they say live and learn.
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.45)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 9:41 pm:   

I seem to recall 4 gallons total, but it has been too long. I know after calculating it out, I took LOTS of paint back to the store.
Sharp eyed Doug, those were fake bullet holes just for the heck of it, lots of fun from them.
For Bill: I am not necessarily advocating using the cheapest paint you can get, merely pointing out that paint as with other things, you often don't always get what you are paying for, and my "cheap" paint job turned out very well, and has lasted longer than my wife can stand one color anyway. I used to own a body shop, so I went to body shops using the paint I was proposing to use, and then went and seen cars that had been painted years ago with it. It passed my test.
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.189)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 11:06 am:   

Two Dogs,
I didn't think you wanted to paint a Ford. I was refering to painting a bus the same colour as a tractor, in my case we have a 1948 Ford 8N tractor..body colour is a rather bright red (faded, chalky, pinkish red on my Dad's 1942 Ford 8N). While it looks good on the tractor, I don't think it would look so good on a 40 ft bus. I would have e-mailed you to correct you but you seem to not have an e-mail available.

Lorna
two dogs (67.30.23.110)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 1:01 pm:   

O.K. sorry about the mix-up...I just have a bad place in my heart for Fords ..don't even ride in them...by the way ...The paint job is beautiful..finished it this morning..
Adam P (64.236.221.6)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 2:10 pm:   

Lorna,
As this thread is running out, (and I miss placed your e-mail address.!.!.!...) I'll go way OT to make on observation. Your Dad can't have a 42 8N. Either he has a 42 9N that should be correctly painted battleship grey, or has an 8N from '47~'52...
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/snlookup.cgi?mf=FD
Sorry Guys, but if I had Lorna's e-mail, I would have done it that way!!! (mines posted this time)
AP
David & Lorna Schinske (Davidschinske) (64.24.236.171)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 7:18 pm:   

Sorry, I'm bad at typing ...it's a '52!
Lorna

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration