Tools for a trip Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Tools for a trip « Previous Next »

Bob Baldwin (Bob4106) (66.56.100.54)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:51 am:   

What would you take as far as tools with you on a trip? ok now you have a real small box like alittle bite bigger then a shoe box.You never have it all when you need it but what can you get by with.
two dogs (67.30.23.3)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:01 am:   

channel locks,duct tape,hammer,cresent wrench,cell phone,and,.... only if you are driveing a ford:a prayer book....:)
Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:33 pm:   

I take ALL of my tools, period. Two toolboxes and even the power tools as well. And one of my big drawers (the 4' wide one that the wife really wanted) is dedicated to plastic organizers full of small parts, screws, plumbing parts, crimps, electrical parts, etc. Quite thorough actually. In one of the storage bays I keep a big plastic bucket with a container or two of every type of fluid, engine oil, tranny oil, steering fluid, antifreeze, grease gun, etc.
And every trip, it has been a good thing... makes nasty emergencies into simple fixes, then back on the road. It's all part of the experience of making an "unknown" bus into something you finally know and can trust. At first there are many little bugs that you didn't anticipate. Then later it's just routine things that need attention as you go...
So far my trips have each had one thing go wrong- sometimes big and somtimes not:

*blown radiator hose (a little short hidden one)
*exhaust brake cylinder packing failure (caught in the brake check area at the top of a nasty grade)
*windshield pushed out of it's gasket
*throttle stuck wide open
*headlight thermal breaker failed, old age
*original dash- heater core blew a hole
*steering assist seriously out of adjustment
*rattles galore (no longer)
*various dash-gauge failures
*various light failures
*Major oil leaks discovered AFTER you're on the road
*windshield wiper motor failure
*Schrader valve lost a plug (caused compressor to turn on 100% of the time and overpressure the brake system)

I'm in the process of adding one more storage bay in which I'll keep my air powered 30 ton jack, 1" impact wrench, and an air tank (powered by the brake system) to operate them. That with a tire-plug gun should keep me totally on the road almost anywhere...

In all of these cases it's been very nice to have my entire toolset along, as well as a big bucket of bolts and hose clamps, extra wire, hose parts, spare belts, filters, etc. Heck a bus is definitely big enough for all this stuff, so why not!!
All you have to do is wait once at a truckstop for *8 HOURS* to have their busy mechanic do a simple 5 minute fix for you because you didn't bring your own tools (happened to me three years ago) and you'll bring everything from then on....

Gary
Jim-Bob (12.46.52.74)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 1:52 pm:   

Right on Gary!
I bring almost exactly the same stuff including the air wrench & jack. I have a spare of every filter on the bus & extra fuel filters. Haven't had as many problems but I'm just a vacation & weekend warrior. But I have had lots of things that were short 1/2 hour stops rather than hours. My tools & spares all fit into the nooks & crannies in the bay where the water tanks, etc. are. (When you convert your bus, get as much stuff mounted on the wall & off the bay floor as you can!)

Now, if you don't think you know more about YOUR bus than the average truck stop mechanic and you think you can buy uncommon items anywhere, then be sure to tow a vehicle so you won't be totally stranded.

BTW, I've used my stuff more helping people I was travelling with that had problems. Seems others prefer to change radiator hoses, fan belts, etc. on the side of the road instead of in their driveway.

My $.02 worth.
Jim-Bob
Bob Gallo (65.69.65.37)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 4:50 pm:   

I'm with Gary and Jim. If you have the stuff anyway for work in the driveway, it's cheap insurance to have along. 12yrs and over 180K mi on a 40 yr old bus and never towed or in a shop. I won't say I haven't had to do emergency work on it in rest stops, campsites, etc. I just take care of it myself.
Bob Gallo (65.69.65.37)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 4:56 pm:   

Oh, I forgot an important addition for a air suspension coach. A spare air bag(s). More than anything, the electrical schematics for the coach, a good voltmeter, and a long wire with alligator clips for troubleshooting. Even if you can't read the schematics, a shop guy must have them to quickly fix something electric.
two dogs (67.30.23.66)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:09 pm:   

Wow...great lists..I carry a bunch of stuff also, but BOB wanted a limit of a shoebox..someday will have a BIG air compressor (horazontal)...my shop upright just won't fit

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 5:28 pm:   

Well this is realy great! Plus a big help .But why i ask is I,m driven a small car to see this bus and wanted some tools,So if i buy it wanted something for a 800 mile trip home.Oh whats the going rate for a oil change ,filters fuel filters, clean and replace oil for airfilters.grease what is needed and anything else.(I do this my self but need to have this done before i leave so would have to have it done wanted to know what kind of price range i'm looking at)
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.224.197.10)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:17 pm:   

Well, if maybe perhaps Gary the Boogiecat would use more reasonable power levels in his Crown Super Coach instead of insisting of cruising at Warp Factor 7.5 (or even a little bit more?) thru Death Valley...

...at 125 degrees F in the middle of August during the daytime, then maybe perhaps possibly he would not need soosss many tools? Wonder how many he would need doing 100? He he he :) :) :) CROWNS FOREVER!!! Henry of CJ.
two dogs (67.30.23.66)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 6:29 pm:   

Bob..oil change & filters 100.00...be sure,every time,to get in the habit of bumping the tires EVERY time ,before you get in the bus...sounds like too much trouble ,BUT,100 feet & you can ruin a tire,300.00 mistake...I use a 1/2 inch breakover to bump them,some people use a hammer,the tire will "RING" if it's up & "THUD" if it's flat...listen to the noise it makes..watch the oil pressure going down the road,and DON'T run out of diesel,EVEN if you have to walk to a station...

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:15 pm:   

Good stuff here. I'm bumping this because alot of people read this and the imput you'all put in realy helps. I was realy wanting to hear from the ones that have traveled with a limit of things and how they got by thanks again
Peter E (Sdibaja) (66.123.254.102)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 7:42 pm:   

Bob Baldwin: You asked what the going rate is for a lube and oil change...
I have always paid $99 in California and Arizona. All filters, lube and oil. Sometimes a problem with the canister oil filter, they only carry spin ons; I keep a cartridge on hand for that. never find dello 100, but rotella is there; just be damn sure you get the right CF-2 40w oil...
Peter E
Gary Stadler (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 8:41 pm:   

Bob, the point of taking all the major pile of tools is that you don't ever know what's going to break or when, and with limited tools you probably won't have what it takes to fix whatever might happen.
For virtually every problem I've ever had, I couldn't have fixed any of them with a smallish tool box and a roll of duct tape.

Truly, AAA has a program you can buy into that will tow motorhomes. If you aren't able to pack a lot of tools, that AAA card and a cell phone will most certainly do just fine!!
Stan (216.95.238.99)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:01 am:   

Murphy says that you will never have the tool that you need so the theory is that if you have a complete set of tools you will never have a breakdown.
jim-bob (12.46.52.74)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:24 am:   

I believe in what Stan just said. Tools on board are like good luck charms to a certain extent.

BTW, I do carry one of each spare air bag. (The best take-off last time they were changed.) Not cause the new ones will age, but for in case a new one chafes or something gets thrown up from the road, etc. Have already had one chafed due to a brake air hose that shifted. Look carefully for this every time you are underneath adjusting the brakes. If you have a shop do the brakes, ask them to check that nothing can touch the bags.

If you must limit what you bring, then figure that you may be able to fix wiring issues & light repairs. Regular hand tools incl. wrenches to 1", a GOOD set of jumper cables, truck tire gauge, meter, roll of #12 wire, wire strippers & crimpers, selection of butt splices & terminals, elec tape & duct tape, selection of various sized hose clamps & some wire coat hangers. Put the loose stuff in a 5 gallon pail (with a top) which you can use for water or fuel if needed. Take some coveralls, a tarp to lay on if needed, and rags & hand cleaner.

After you buy the bus, (& have somewhere to carry this stuff) go buy some pieces of 2 x 10 (2 ea 3', 5' & 7') that you can stack up as stepped ramps to pull the bus up onto if you have to get under it. You will need about 8 pcs of 4x4x12" or similar to block up the body of the bus because YOU NEVER GET UNDER A NON BLOCKED UP AIR BAG VEHICLE! You will use the boards & blocks for campground levelling and maintenance anyway.
When they change the oil & filters, get a case of gallons of the oil & spare fuel filters. Get a 3-5 gal jug (full) of diesel in case you have to prime filters. A few quarts of whatever fluids the steering & trans. take will be good.

Keep your speed down to 55-60 for the first 1-200 miles till you know what shape she's in. You should be going on a 30-50 mile test drive anyway before you buy. Pay the expenses & the seller's time if needed, there's no better way to find out how roadworthy it is. It takes 30-50 miles just for the tires to really warm up. I usually let the owner drive most of the way & I roam around front to back listening & feeling vibration, noise etc. That way he isn't worried about you driving & you aren't "charmed" by driving "your" new bus.
Sam Sperbeck (206.230.105.248)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:28 am:   

Hi Gary,
If you have AAA you might want to reconsider. When we were ready for our maiden trip with our 4106 (in '89)we had AAA for our car, so my wife called AAA to see if our bus was covered. No, they said, unless you upgrade to AAA Plus, so we did the upgrade. We had tire trouble in FT. Worth, TX, called AAA there and were told that busses were not covered there and that AAA in different states have different coverage. We had to call a tire service to come out to change our tire and pay ourselves. When we got home we sent the bill to our local AAA (La Crosse, WI)and were denied payment. After several calls, the last to the state AAA office, we were reimbursed but told that no future claim would be honored. We dropped AAA and got Good Sam Emergency Road Service. We have used it twice for the car and had excellent service. Thats our experience with AAA, I hope yours was better if you have had to use it.
Thanks, Sam Sperbeck
two dogs (67.30.23.110)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   

yep...AAA sucks....they let me sit 12 hours one time (finally came) & july 3rd....let me sit 3 hours in 104 degrees...finally,somebody came by & helped....spread the word...tripple A sucks..
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (198.88.152.22)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   

Here's what I do on my Harley.

I have a roll-up tool kit I carry in my saddlebag, when I'm in my shop, working on the bike, I only use the tools from the roll up bag.

So if I run across something I don't have I add it to my kit.

I'll do the same on the bus.

Gary
Johnny (67.241.166.49)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 5:41 pm:   

Well, I carry full tools all the time--so much so, that when my F-350 got hit by a red-light runner, I replaced the mangled box with a Reading utility body. I have:

1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive rachets & sockets, SAE & metric
Combination wrenches, 1/4" to 7/8" & 4mm-20mm
Screwdrivers, slotted, Phillips, Torx
A set of Allen wrenches
At least one pair each of:
Electrical
Slip-joint
Channel-lock
Needle-nose
...pliers.
Vise-grips (I carry 2)
Something to cut fuel line or radiator hose.
Something capable of cutting through a 1/0-gauge battery cable
Big flashlight (mine is a 3-cell Mag-Lite, I also carry a battery-powered "lantern").
Tarp (I carry 2)
Chocks (I have 2 sets, & suggest painting them orange so you don't break your neck on them at night)
3 warning triangles
Something capable of popping loose the lugs on a bus.
Something capable of tightening said lugs properly.
WD-40
Liquid Wrench
All fluids.
Duct tape
Electrical tape
A box of cotter pins
JB Weld
Something to bypass a blown heater core
Zip ties
4-ton bottle jack

On my bus, which will have on-board air, I'll carry:

1/2" drive Snap-On impact gun & sockets
10-ton jack

This list isn't complete, but that's most of it.
Johnny (67.241.166.49)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 5:42 pm:   

Oh, and 2 dogs, the 1986 FORD F-350 wrecker I was driving today is still going strong with 501,000 miles. :p
two dogs (67.30.23.24)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 6:01 pm:   

I just knew you'd be a ford guy
Johnny (67.241.224.95)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:53 pm:   

Actually, my first choice for a personal truck was a diesel 1989-93 Ram.

Having said that, I love my F-350--331,000 miles & still going.
two dogs (67.30.23.90)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:12 pm:   

mileage just keeps gettin' better every "story"
Johnny (67.241.224.107)

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 9:56 pm:   

2 different trucks (we also have a 2001 F-550 rollback at work).

And I do plenty of driving--as in, 100+ miles/day.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration