Is Bluebird a Bus? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Is Bluebird a Bus? « Previous Next »

Confused About Birds (128.177.200.33)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 6:39 pm:   

I've always thought Bluebird Wanderlodges were based on a Bus Chasis.

But the other day I read a Bluebird ad that proudly said "Built on a Spartan Chasis".

Hell, Fleetwood's are built on a Spartan Chasis.

Also, can somebody distinguish "FC", "PT" etc in the Bluebird line?

Thanks
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (198.88.152.22)

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   

I'm still learning this stuff myself, so forgive me if I get anything wrong here...

Most birds are based on an "All American" chassis, as is mine.

Bluebirds built on the Spartan Chassis are not actually "Wanderlodges", but rather BMC.

BMCs are a lower cost compromise between a full-on Wanderlodge, and a Stick and staple box.

Terms:

FC = Forward control (Engine in Front)

SP = Single-Axle-Pusher (Engine in rear, one rear axle--this is what I have)

PT = Pusher-Tag-axle (same as SP only BIGGER and another pair of tires--Saw a beauty yesterday and Northwest RV Supply)

the yahoo wanderlodge group is a tremendous resource.

Gary 83SP31 Conversion
CHRISTOPHER (12.91.43.39)

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 7:55 am:   

GO TO BIRDCONNECTION.COM FOR MORE INFO
john wood (206.252.250.66)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:56 pm:   

Just saw a bluebird BUS in Helena MT. Looks like a genuine over the road coach. Bays have bracing that looks like an eagle. Did not know they were in the big bus business. Same outfit had a VanHool, a prevost or two, an MCI as well as the Bluebird, which looked to be the newest one.
RJ Long (Rjlong) (24.127.74.29)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 8:06 pm:   

John -

Is this the bus you saw?

http://www.blue-bird.com/products/coach/express.php

RJ
PD4106-2784
Fresno CA
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (198.88.152.22)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 8:42 pm:   

I believe he was talking about a BMC.

Kind of a "Bluebird Light"

I don't beleive these share the name "Wanderlodge" but are BMC instead.

Not as good as a wanderlodge, but better than any winnabox.

I believe the later Spartan chassis are better (Heavier) than the earlier models.

Gary
john wood (206.252.250.166)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 6:43 pm:   

RJ;

That do be the one. Nice looking rig. Nice to see an american mfg taking up the slack.
Johnny (67.241.232.45)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:19 pm:   

"I believe the later Spartan chassis are better (Heavier) than the earlier models."

Couldn't prove it by the 1999 Spartan pusher shuttle bus at work. Only 35K, it hobby-horses like a CJ5 with no shocks, absolutely no guts (24V 5.9 litre Cummins ISB, 4-speed Allison, 8R19.5 tires), poor brakes, an absolutely horrible ride (I rate it similar to a 1972 F-800 I drive at my other job), & all sorts of little niggling problems (electrical and structural). Chassis is a Spartan, not sure of the model (about 35'), I was told the body is Amtran, but not sure.
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.99.4)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 2:46 pm:   

As I said, "I believe..."
(Not speaking from experience on this one....).

I just noticed some fiberglass box spartan that had a "Real" set of alcoas and 22.5 tires under it.

It looked like a real chassis rather than another parcel chassis.

I'm surprised that BB used an Inferior chassis.

Gary
Johnny (67.241.232.238)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 9:07 pm:   

This isn't a Blue Bird...in fact, I vastly prefer the front-engine Blue Bird TranShuttle to that Spartan. :) I like air brakes.

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:59 am:   

this is a BMC/Spartan.

As I said, I don't have any personal experience, but I'm on the Bluebird/Wanderlodge lists, and don't hear any complaints from the BMC owners.

Here is a BMC/Spartan:

Is this what you're talking about?

It certainly has airbrakes, I'm sure.

Gary
Johnny (65.224.20.42)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 6:56 pm:   

Our Spartan isn't a Bird, & our Bird isn't a Spartan chassis.

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 7:01 pm:   

But this topic isn't about your bird, or spartan.

It's about the fact that BB does use Spartan chassis.

Gary
Mark R. Obtinario (Cowlitzcoach) (204.245.250.157)

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:37 am:   

I may be mistaken but very few, if any, of the transit style buses Blue Bird has manufactured in the last 20 years have had vendor supplied chassis. This would include all of the All American, TC2000, commercial versions of the same, and their new highway coach models.

Up until the introduction of their new Vision model, all of the BB conventional chassis buses were built on vendor supplied chassis. All of the mini buses have been built on vendor supplied chassis, mostly Ford, GM, and now Workhorse.

Having said all that, I did not know BB ever used a Spartan chassis under any of their buses.

In the old days several manufacturers made chassis for front and rear engine transit style buses. IHC, GM, Oshkosh, and National come to mind. In later years, when IHC and GM stopped production of the transit chassis, BB started making their own.

In the 80's, Oshkosh was sold several times and what is left is now owned by Freightliner. You will see many RV's built on the Freightliner Custom Chassis.

Spartan at one time was owned by Carpenter Body Works in Mitchell, Indianna. All of the transit style Carpenter buses that were produced in the last ten or so years of their production were built on Spartan chassis. Some of those buses were known as Carpenter Crowns because Carpenter bought out Crown in 1991 (although the only thing in common between the Crown of CA and the Carpenter Crown was the name).

I am not saying a BB has not used a Spartan chassis underneath some of their buses. I just haven't ever seen one. I seriously doubt BB would have used a chassis supplied by one of their competitors. It is part of the reason why they are no longer offering the Freightliner and IHC chassis under their conventional buses. Also, since one of the headaches for BB in the past had to do with dealer service of vendor supplied chassis, I sort of doubt they would add problems to a line that has enough problems already.

I may be wrong about this. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again. I would really like to know which models of BB have the Spartan chassis.

Mark O.

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 6:04 pm:   

Ok, a recap of this thread:

"Confused about Birds" said:

> I've always thought Bluebird Wanderlodges were
> based on a Bus Chasis.
>
> But the other day I read a Bluebird ad that
> proudly said "Built on a Spartan Chasis".

I replied:

> Bluebirds built on the Spartan Chassis are not
> actually "Wanderlodges", but rather BMC.

We're not talkiing about Busses we're talking about coaches. BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach I believe)

Gary
confused about birds (66.167.79.202)

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:02 pm:   

Gary's recap seems accurate to me....

Thanks for the info, Gary.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration