White Smoke Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » White Smoke « Previous Next »

matt (66.42.122.142)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 1:14 am:   

O.K. I read all the posts - but since I am looking for more support - I will ask just to make sure. I looked at a late 70's Newell with a 6v92TA. Started it and took it out - at start up (it had been sitting for a couple weeks, probably a month) it belched out white smoke - for 2-3 seconds...a couple "clouds" and then ran clean. On the grades - I put the hammer to it (right at 2200 rpm) and not a puff of smoke. In fact - at 29k lbs, the little 330hp really pushed great. I was anticipating a much more sluggish ride...she wanted to run at 65-70...much faster than I needed to run on a test drive.

Oh also - BTW, it has a Jake - and though brand new to this lifestyle, I completely agree that the jake will be worth its weight in gold...we ran a couple hills with the jake on, and then some with it off...I am sure you could easily control with proper approach speed and gear selection as many have mentioned...but for a new guy, that safety factor is a huge plus.

Thanks again,
Matt
Jayjay (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 2:30 am:   

Matt, I feel that 2 or 3 seconds of "white" is inconsequential. Probably not oil, but rather a rich diesel mixture during start up only. Many (especially the 2 stroke DD's) may belch white smoke for as long as 15 seconds at start up. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you don't feel confident, then DO get a reliable mechanic to give the whole coach a thorough going over. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out. Okay? Cheers...JJ
FAST FRED (67.75.106.234)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 4:38 am:   

AS DD'd age they like any engine loose compression.

So there in seldom any problem as long as the white smoke ( incomplete combustion ) DOES clear up at 140F or so.

In freezing weather , with out a block heaters most DD will puff a while.

In the summer at start up a couple of seconds is normal , as there were a few crank turns at too low a pressure to ignite.

FAST FRED
Matt (144.141.89.58)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 1:37 pm:   

Thanks. I do feel very comfortable about the engine. As for the rest of the mechanics - front brakes are new, steering rebuilt this year, 4 new tires, big genset (new) 3 a/c, bunch of heaters...updated interior...all around nice rig.

As mentioned, we ran it for a little over an hour up and down the hills - I think the temp may have hit 190 at some point, transmition was (if I remenmber correct) hovering at 140ish...think I am going to offer a price, but tell him that it would be contingent o0n the motor being as solid as advertised...gives me a safety net, but with a non-refundable deposit I will offer shows I am not jerking him around.

I will certainly let you know.
Thanks again,
Matt
John Rigby (65.112.227.94)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 1:50 pm:   

The real reason you initally get the white smoke, is that during start up the Detroits start on full rack. This initally dumps the cylinders full of fuel until it starts then the govenor takes over and throatles back.
John
two dogs (67.30.23.53)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 4:41 pm:   

white smoke at start-up is o.k.,don't let it worry you,like they said, it's just unburned fuel,if you are happy with everything else,go for it..
matt (66.53.57.51)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:57 am:   

Well gents - I again thank you for the advice... I went and made an offer - after some back and forth - they accepted. I am now the proud owner of a 1976 38ft Newell. I told him that I wanted an analysis of the oil as a "safety check." He agreed without any, and I mean ZERO hesitation. I truly think that the analysis will come clean, but the owner has been great - I asked for it, he said so long as I pay for it, the coach is on hold pending the results. In my opinion it can't get much better...sure, if he spent the $50 for the test....but thus far he has been as straight as I have ever dealt with...I am very, very happy.

Will certainly let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
Matt

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration