Clear Coat flaking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Clear Coat flaking « Previous Next »

Matt (66.53.57.51)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 1:31 am:   

O.K. My first official post as an owner...!!! The coach I just bought has the clear coat on the roof flaking off. The paint is Imron (spell?) with a clear coat. It is only flaking on the roof - I made a couple calls, and the previous owner passed that it could be wet sanded down and taken to where the clear coat is good - and then a clear coat put on top. He was told $700 to do the roof (that is the only part the clear coat flaked).. anyone have a clue if this is about what it would take? I am wondering if I should just let is go, knock off the parts that are in the process of flaking and call it a day. Or...should I try to do it myself or have it done. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Matt
two dogs (67.30.23.81)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:25 am:   

I'd say the clearcoat was probably put on at a different time than the paint...just keep it knocked off,someday you might want to repaint,wouldn't worry about the clearcoat..did you buy it ?
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:45 am:   

I suspect the Imron will outlast you. You should never in your lifetime have to repaint unless you really want to change color.

I would suggest you spend the $700 and get the clear coat sanded off (color sanding) with very fine wet /dry sandpaper. 1600 grit will not really touch the Imron, so there is little or no chance of damaging it. Now that you have a sligtly rough surface, a new coat of clear coat should do great.

If you have never color sanded a vehicle you might want to have a professional do it, however since it is the roof area, you can not really do much damage if you stick to the 1200-1600 grit paper.
Richard
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.36)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:09 am:   

I am left to wonder why someone would put clear coat over Imron on the roof in the first place. Sounds more like basecoat/clearcoat poorly applied to me. Are you certain it is Imron under there?
RayC (142.165.222.73)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:52 am:   

Imron is an industrial finish known for the gloss, hardness and chemical resistance. If someone clear coated it I would think they knew very little about automotive paint. Adhesion would be the number one concern. I suggest you go to www.performancecoatings.dupont.com and download the specs., send them an e-mail with your problem or go to one of the autobody hotlines.
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (24.196.191.70)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:19 am:   

I had my complete bus painted with Imron, including the roof. Unfortunately I did not have it clear coated at the time and it is relatively difficult to apply clear coat at a later date, I was told. The Imron must be fresh to allow the clear coat to stick, otherwise you have to color sand the whole bus to give the clear coat something to stick to.

And it is very difficult to color sand Imron since it is so hard. My son spent a whole weekend color sanding his pickup that he wanted to clear coat.
Richard
two dogs (67.30.23.68)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 12:09 pm:   

like I said leave it alone & just keep knocking the clearcoat off , if the "paint" ever starts peeling , D.A. it & repaint....with 1200 sandpaper ,it will take you 40 years to feather it & it still will be flakeing
jastacy (12.87.111.71)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 9:51 pm:   

We had our coach painted with Imron 6000 which included a clear coat as part of the Dupont package. I was advised by the painter that the UV protection was in the clearcoat and it was a necessary part of the total paint job. There was a very small window between the basecoat and the clearcoat applications. Earlier Imron products did not include a clear coat. FWIW

Jim Stacy
Don KS/TX (66.82.9.15)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 9:59 pm:   

Thanks Jim, when I was using the stuff, clear coat was not even thought of yet. I sure did not know that clear coat had ever become part of Imron.
By the way, speaking of new things, you can now clear coat Acrylic Enamel! No time window, do it anytime you please, sure dresses it up for sure. I only know of one done that way, it has been less than a year, stored inside, so do not know how well it weathers.
Jayjay (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:16 pm:   

Don, I'm agree with you, I think it's a base/clear system. Imron shines "wet" without clearcoat. The Acrylic clear ( polyurethane is even better) will last 7 to 10 years and still look good. Also... no known CLEAR finish on the market today gives UV protection. Only pigmented finishes can do that. See Dupont's website, also PPG's ...JJ
Matt (66.53.49.122)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 1:35 am:   

O.K. To add to my own post, I spoke to three differnet paint shops. With respect to if it is Imron or not - I am going on what he has stated (which it is Imron with a clear coat, done around eight years ago). Thus far he seems open and honest - if it is not Imron, he doesn't know it. Anyway, all the paint shops essentialy stated:
- can't clear coat over the existing paint. (can do it, but it will come off in due time)
- clear coat coming off roofs are common. As mentioned above - there is a finite time when the base goes down to when the clear coat has to be applied. Appears that did not happen here.
- Most think the flaking will not continue down the sides - but if it does, it won't hurt a thing. As mentioned above - they recommend knocking off the flake and simply dealing with it.

As for if I bought the coach - I have, pending the fluid analysis. We are trying to figure how/when he can get the coach to the dealer. He is getting ready to go away for the weekend and wants to have us pull the fluids rather than drive it the hour to get it done...I think it will be easier to bring it in - and I would feel better about it, so I have told him I am willing to give him some $$ for his time if he brings it to the dealer...if I back out, he keeps the money. Otherwise, assuming all is well (which I pray it does because I want the coach) I will transfer the funds...so I sorta bought it...but, no keys in the pocket...wich me luck. You guys are having too much fun out there and I want in!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration