THE ROOF: To Raise or Not to Raise? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » THE ROOF: To Raise or Not to Raise? « Previous Next »

Brian James Houk (Brianmci96a3) (65.41.249.60)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 8:05 pm:   

Okay, I want to hear from everybody on this. I have a MCI 96A3, I'm 5'10 as is my significant other, as it is, we have headroom everywhere with the original roof height, the question is:
Should I, or should I not, raise the roof, and WHY?

All opinions welcomed!
two dogs (67.30.23.56)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 9:02 pm:   

I vote leave it the way it is
Derek (24.66.241.23)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 9:18 pm:   

Well, you can raise it for more cabinet room, or you can leave it be. Depends what you need.

I've never looked at the inside of a MCI ceiling, but also consider if you're going to insulate, etc etc.
Bill K. (209.173.105.3)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 9:22 pm:   

If I where to do it over I would do a raise. Reasons, side isle bath, more insulation in the roof. duct the a/c. and just looks and is a lot roomer. These are just a few. To late on this one but if and I say if I ever do another it will have the roof raised.
Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat) (68.7.217.217)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:53 am:   

Never been in an MCI, but I've also never owned a bus that I havn't raised the roof on. My Current Crown went up a full foot. The headroom gained is wonderful and well worth the effort, and it makes the place look, feel, and be a lot more comfortable to live in, not to mention more room for "stuff" and cabinets.
Having done it and knowing how easy it is, I'd never own a bus without raising the roof. It's not rocket science but it is busywork.
But if you don't feel the slightest claustrophobic in your MCI, and don't need a bunch of additional cabinet space for the lady, leave it as it is, it's a lot less time spent.

Cheers
mark (65.40.225.193)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 1:37 am:   

Hi Brian

I would suggest that you look at some conversions that have already been completed; some with raised roofs, some without.

My wife and I thought that we were definately going to have to raise the roof on our bus (Gillig 636D) to make it feel more roomy, etc.

Recently we looked at some conversions (both were GMC's) and they looked and felt great. The interior hight was the same as ours (6' 3 1/2" with no roof raise)

We'll be very satisfied NOT to raise the roof. I'll also be able to get more of the conversion done in a much shorter time without the extra work and time involved in the roof raise itself.

To each his own! There are obvious advantages to doing a roof raise if the extra time, effort, and money are worth the trade - off!

Happy converting!

Mark
75 Gillig 636D
FAST FRED (67.75.113.66)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 5:42 am:   

If you want to install basement air , the quietest way to go , leave the hight alone , every inch has a treelimb with its name on it.

If you want the RV Carbunkle air cond look ,and noise, raise the roof as the air cond parts hang down into the coach an inch or two.

Raising the roof for no concievable reason is part of Forumla MAC , touted much , but with little return.

FAST FRED
BrianMCI96A3 (198.81.26.104)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 2:55 pm:   

Fred, I'm way ahead of you I have two basement units sitting in my rear bay waiting to be installed.

Brian
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.99.4)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:03 pm:   

We bought a elevated roof transit bus for this reason, It is tall enough for Myself, 5'8" and my taller friends don't duck too much.

So, it is Taller than a "Skoolie" but not as tall as a full-fledged wanderlodge. We parked next to a wanderlodge a couple of weeks ago, and there's NO WAY that it would make it into our driveway.

So, you have to weigh the benefits against the restrictions you will experience (Not to mention the work involved.)

Gary
george weber (66.123.254.151)

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 6:54 pm:   

leave it alone it you have comfortable headroom. there are lots of easier and cheaper ways of geting storage space
jay gerlick (152.163.252.163)

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   

Raise it 14 " Do it you 'll be glad you did. Don't we all build to impress ??? If not just ourselves.
FAST FRED (67.75.106.228)

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 5:37 am:   

Was on one of our Rocket runs yesterday Middletown Ct to Waterford NY and back. 12 hours , 700 miles , including loading a new 18ft rowing scull for the bride.

Entering Mass on the way back to CT was a sign ,

ROAD WORK all vehicles over 11 ft must detour.

At 10 ft I didnt care , but I'M sure glad I didnt have to grind thru some detour , in the dark & rain< after a bunch of driving.

Raising the roof can have a price in pain, so should only be done if "necessary".

Your call on necessary

FAST FRED
Jim Ashworth (Jimnh) (172.147.91.89)

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 8:49 am:   

Are you sure they weren't referring to width? I've been on some small roads in VT with old bridges that were that height but never had a height restriction in construction zones.

Jim
two dogs (67.30.23.42)

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 1:01 pm:   

Bet it was width....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration