Losing coolant Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Losing coolant « Previous Next »

mark (65.40.225.193)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 9:37 pm:   

I've noticed some coolant loss every time I take the bus out for an hour drive. (It's a 3208 - Gillig 636D)

The engine has not been overheating, however it seems to hover at around 185 - 190 degrees.

Can somebody tell me if it would be a 'bad' idea to use some type of radiator stop-leak?

I realize that that would be more of a bandage than a repair, but...

If it works at least for some time without doing any damage, what the heck!

Thanks!

Mark
gillig 636D
Lee Brady (Leeb11) (63.183.169.85)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:03 pm:   

Mark
I wouldnt put any stop leak in it.
You didnt metion how much coolant you had to replace.It may be just dumping the excess to the proper level after its warmed up and got all the system at the proper temps.If you check the level
and then drive it again let it cool off then see if the level has fallen any more will let you know if you have a leak or not.
My Eagle does this with the coolant and the power steering.
Give it a try.
Lee 66 01
two dogs (65.56.120.20)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:05 pm:   

WHERE is is leaking...overflow= radiator cap, hose=replace hose,don't put anything in it till you find out where it's coming from,sometimes the 'fix-a-leak' will plug up heater cores.
RayC (142.165.222.233)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:39 pm:   

I agree with Lee but will add if you have an overflow hose on the rad hook it into an old plastic pop bottle and see if that is where you are loosing coolant. If that is the source hook up an automotive plastic surge tank available from wreckers, parts stores etc. The coolant you loose this way is then returned to the system when the bus cools down.
mark (65.40.225.193)

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 10:54 pm:   

Great suggestions -

Thanks!

mark

gillig 636

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration