Oil Consumption Improved Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2003 » September 2003 » Oil Consumption Improved « Previous Next »

joe shelton (Littlewind) (64.91.162.183)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 3:02 pm:   

My 8V71 with about 140K miles on it has stopped using oil (over the past 300 miles or so). I suspect I have a leak from the coolant, fuel, or V730 transmission fluid systems. Any suggestions on where I might start? Also one of the exhaust outlets has been running about 70 degrees cooler than the others. Hope this dosn't imply the injector has been dripping and I need new rings. Thanks, Joe 4106-2119
two dogs (67.30.23.27)

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 4:55 pm:   

guess the best place would be to have an oil sample done
Jim Ashworth (Jimnh) (172.202.22.233)

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 7:13 pm:   

Pull the valve covers and look around the area beneath the injector fuel lines. If there is a clean area, that is the one leaking diesel fuel. Kind of a crude method, but it works. And it's cheap!

Jim
John Rigbyj (24.174.239.244)

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 8:05 pm:   

Go to the DDA dealer and get a $10.00 sample bottle take a sample of the sump oil( I have overnighted it before ) anyway send it off and they can fax you or mail the results, which will tell you whats going on. I have also called them and the head tech has spent time discussing the results.
I now send a sample off every oil change and they graph one against the other showing whats changing.Good insurance.
John
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.99.4)

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 8:13 pm:   

In the case of a sample, do you just pull the plug, and drain off a sample?

It seems if you do this you would get the majority of sediments in the first cupfull.

In the Case of an oilchange, you'd get a more representative sample.

Just a thought...

Gary
BrianMCI96A3 (65.41.249.165)

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 9:47 pm:   

The way we, in our shop, pull an oil sample for the lab is to use a hand suction pump with a small diameter disposable plastic tube. The person getting the sample, measures the dipstick, and cuts a length of tubing to match. Then attaches the tubing to the hand pump and sticks the tubing down the dipstick tube. It fills up the attached sample bottle from the upper levels (hopefully) and avoids most of the sediment in the pan. As I understand it, the suction pumps are fairly affordable as are the tubing and sample bottles. It may even be less expensive if obtained from a oil testing lab, just a thought...

Brian
Gary McFarland (Gearheadgary) (209.128.99.4)

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:00 am:   

Ah, that's what I was wondering.
FAST FRED (67.75.105.248)

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 6:18 am:   

Some of the DD kits include a small squeze bottle that WILL lift the oil into it.

You do have to remove it and vent the air once or twice, but it works.

Just ask when buying,

Also DD will highlight any results that they think need attention and gives sugestions on cure.

FAST FRED

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration