No-Idle Laws and the bus industry Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » February 2011 » No-Idle Laws and the bus industry « Previous Next »

doug yes (Dougg)
Registered Member
Username: Dougg

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 174.131.120.134

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 9:12 pm:   

Gradually no-idle laws are becoming active. The truckers have their cab units but a bus is a big thing to keep cool. Most bus nuts have a generator but what is the commercial bus industry got up their sleeve?
George Martinez (Foohorse)
Registered Member
Username: Foohorse

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 72.144.61.124

Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   

Doug that is for commercial buses not RVs I hope
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 1440
Posted From: 66.82.9.83

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 7:54 am:   

"no-idle laws are becoming active"

It is for ALL vehicles RV or not.Gas or Diesel as I understand it.

This is why the push is on for toy battery cars , the engine is secured at every traffic light.

The days of ideling all night long are long gone.

A larger APU should take care of the commercial coach folks as at night the insolation is lower.

FF

(Message edited by FAST FRED on February 06, 2011)
Tom Christman (Tchristman)
Registered Member
Username: Tchristman

Post Number: 280
Posted From: 66.218.33.156

Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 11:47 am:   

Here in California-the king of clean air regulations-we can order the trucks with clean air idling option that tunes the engine to produce zero nitrous oxides when on fast idle. They are legal to idle if you are in an area that allows it. But-it never made sense to me to idle a 500hp engine to run a 5hp air conditioning compressor when a 14hp putt putt would do. As to idling a bus-they are allowed to fire it up 10 minutes before departing, but have to shut it down 10 minutes after stopping. So far (at least in California) RV's are exempt from having to upgrade their engines as to smog laws. Good Luck, TomC
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 1443
Posted From: 66.82.162.17

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 6:18 am:   

RV's are exempt from having to upgrade their engines as to smog laws.

Exempt from a requirement to install a new engine is not exempt from the ideling laws.

FF
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 1977
Posted From: 174.91.141.118

Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 9:41 am:   

Laws restricting idling have been around for a long time in some jurisdictions.

Washington DC, if you off-loaded the group without shutting down, they were writing you a $300 ticket a decade ago.

Pretty easy to adhere to, don't run the big engine unless you are going to drive it.

The big AC unit in the new coaches have more power than our older ones ever did.

Just park with the backside to the sun, to keep it from beating into the interior, like in the old days... (Back window Setra's are stuck!)

Saves on fuel too!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 348
Posted From: 99.136.197.212

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 2:22 am:   

All you folks that pitched the OTR A/C units still happy with that decision?

We have a black bus and nothing better than getting in a heat soaked bus and cranking up the OTR A/C and the gen and 3 house A/C togeather to get things comfy.

Without the OTR it would take till sundown to get where it takes 15 min. with the OTR unit.

Park with the tail to the sun? RIGHT... what about the pets? They would roast.

Running the gen will get you the same ticket in some places. Another PITA law for us
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 3:56 am:   

"what about the pets? They would roast."

you Know what's comin..Right?
They'd probably catch on to what you're up to
when you started filling their beds with
Carrots, Onions, Celery & Potatoes....
....I'd go light on the Rosemary tho....
it's a dead give-away
fwiw
Jim Wilke (Jim Bob) (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 184.0.13.120

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 9:33 am:   

While they can ticket you for anything they want, making it stick in court is much harder. They figure you're just going to send the money.

There is all the difference in the world between an RV sitting with the aux genset running and a commercial vehicle leaving a 400hp main engine running to turn an AC compressor. The RV genset is there specifically for the times that you are not plugged in and not moving. It is comperable to the reefer unit on a semi trailer. And since we have pets that travel with us, and it IS unlawful to leave them in a closed vehicle, we have no alternative but to run the genset & air when we are not rolling.
So I suggest that you guys that don't already travel with a pet get a dog. (or a penquin for that matter though you would surely need a reefer unit then!)
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 349
Posted From: 99.136.197.212

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 1:42 pm:   

Well.......if you are ever thru Chicago and get a ticket for running the gen even thou you shouldn't have, you were warned in advance.

When I have to waste a day beating a 75 dollar fee I loose way more than the cost of the ticket and the Chicago cops know that all too well.

We agree, the cops know the difference, they also are very proficient at separating us from our doe.

I am fairly confident that our local boys are not the only ones who have figured this out.

PITA law, guess we are easier to extract money from than others.

I once bought my way out of a violation in Chicago by placing 3 1 dollar bills in the hat of a cop that had taken it off his head and stuck it in my window.

Some time back, but a story I enjoy remembering.
Luvrbus (Luvrbus)
Registered Member
Username: Luvrbus

Post Number: 1028
Posted From: 74.33.43.204

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 9:42 pm:   

Does Chicago have different laws than Cook County Joe.
A leasing co from Phoenix I have a interest in we have entertainer buses going in to Chicago 3 to 5 times a year hasn't been a problem yet and they never cut the 20KW fuel sucking monsters off good to know I'll check that out
Jim Wilke (Jim Bob) (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 184.0.13.120

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 9:45 pm:   

Aren't these "No idle laws"?
Well, a genset or a refer doing their thing are not idling. Not arguing here. Just pointing out something most of us (and maybe a few cops) might have missed. The intent of the law is to prevent a big engine from idling. If they are going to ticket a genset then they'll probably ticket the truck with the APU running his heat or a/c, just as he is mandated to do. And Joe, I wasn't talking about commercial guys hanging around to fight a ticket.
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 428
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:08 pm:   

"Idle chatter is the work of the Devil...."

Pretty pun-ny considering the subject material here that I have to work with eh...?
Tom Christman (Tchristman)
Registered Member
Username: Tchristman

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 66.218.33.156

Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 11:05 am:   

If you have 3 roof airs-we have come into the bus in the afternoon with the interior pushing 90 degrees. Kick the generator and 3 A/C's on, and the interior is back down to 70 in less then 30 minutes. Good Luck, TomC

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration