Low voltage. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » February 2011 » Low voltage. « Previous Next »

les marston (Les_marston)
Registered Member
Username: Les_marston

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 68.151.225.213

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   

I finally got a chance to work on the coach for a bit this week.
Got the hydronic furnace working so that the engine pre heat would work.
Found that i had a battery with a bad cell.
got another matching battery.
Started the coach... had a hard time building air pressure.. Leaking air brake valve.
I ordered a new valve from MCI, got it today. ( along with another order that should have gone to Laval Quebec) Installed the valve and fired up the coach.
Cant put the transmission into gear for some reason (B500 Allison)...
I called technical support and they walked me through a diagnostic on the transmission.
It looks like the bad battery had a negative effect on the computer that controls the transmission.
Monday i will try to reset the computer for the transmission. If that doesn't work I will have to have Waterious come out and hook up the scanner to the transmission.
Moral of the story:
Make sure that the batteries are good, the consequences are severe
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1227
Posted From: 71.55.4.4

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:10 pm:   

Les, On most computerized systems,unhooking the battery and then jumping or shorting neg and pos terminals together will usually reset the computer. It works on all automotive systems and we are not supposed to know that tho. I just done that on a car that wouldn't run hardly and changed the spark plug wires and then unhooked the battery and shorted them together and held them for 30 secs,rehooked it up and down the road I went and all systems normal.

gomer
Registered Member

Post Number: 266

Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:24 pm:   

One of the things that Mci technical support had me do was to pull both gang plugs out of the computer and let it sit for about 5 min or more. This was to reset the computer. It didn't help.
I have a schematic for the pins and will check voltage and ground on the computer but that might have to wait till monday.
Fair comment, as they also had me clean and recheck all the connections on the batteries.
I suspect that i am in the market for a new allison computer.
Ouch!
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 12:58 am:   

My starter woes being laid to the same condition...

Maybe....
if those like us
were BRANDED
across the forehead
with the words
"Low Voltage Operator"

the rest would learn quick
in fear of the same

....if only there were a volunteer
to Man the Iron

a time
a place
a fire
etc.
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 10:28 am:   

Les
According to the book for 700 series Allisons with CEC electronic controls follow:
-to retrieve codes without Prolink (the installation must include a Check Trans light)
1. start engine and run engine at idle with the selector in neutral
2. place and hold the Electronic Control test switch in the ON postion.
3. the Check Trans Light will flash the most important code if one is present.
NOTE. If no codes are present there will be no flashes. Not like DDEC 25 code for all okay.

To clear codes without Prolink
1. Turn vehicle off.
2. Place Electronic Control test switch in the ON postion.
3. Restart engine.
4. Make sure the park brake and service brake are applied, then shift from neutral to reverse, then back to neutral.

Check white wire #201 for a good chassis ground. This wire will cause all kinds of problems if not a good ground. You might check the oil level as well. Check fuses/circut breakers as well.
Bill
Registered Member

Post Number: 268

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 10:43 am:   

Thanks Bill.
I am not sure that a B500 would be a 700 series.
I don't find a check transmission light but there is a blank on the control panel that is for this light but it was never knocked out and installed It is also listed on the sticker as optional.
Now I am feeling very inadequate because I don't find an electronic control switch.
I will be checking for a good ground.
The two gang plugs that go into the computer have a lot of wires. Knowing that the ground is white and #201 is a huge help
thanks
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 426
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 12:49 pm:   

Les
The B500 appears to be a 4000 series Allison. According to what I am able to find it uses CECII where the 700 series uses CECI. Hopefully somebody with this exact trans will drop in.
Bill
Registered Member

Post Number: 269

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   

I appreciate your efforts Bill
I am going to be back on that steep learning curve that this bussing thing takes us all on from time to time.
Les
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 1256
Posted From: 173.202.9.198

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 9:37 pm:   

Gomer,

Interesting post, but what did spark plug wires have to do with it?
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 10:11 pm:   

In GOMERVILLE

Wires
iz jus'
wires

he's happy too!
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1229
Posted From: 71.55.4.4

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 10:12 pm:   

The engine was not running properly and with a couple of plugs not firing right it caused the computor to say that the O2 sensors,map sensor, etc was bad, so a garage said ALL the sensors were bad, [goes to show scanners aren't always a fix], and it was going to cost upwards of $800 to repair[?] All it was needing was the plugs and wires. Straightned Everything out and now back to normal operation. After doing that work the owner took it back for meaness and told them to recheck it and they found nothing wrong that time. Shade Tree mec-a-nics are people with common sense not computer friendly either as they listen instead of not knowing how to work on a vehicle LOL

Gomer
Gus Causbie (Gusc)
Registered Member
Username: Gusc

Post Number: 1258
Posted From: 173.202.40.77

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 7:37 pm:   

Gomer,

Thanks, clears that up. The newest thing I own is a '94 Dodge Cummins 3500 which has minimum computer stuff, those things drive me nuts.
larry currier (Larryc)
Registered Member
Username: Larryc

Post Number: 346
Posted From: 207.200.116.13

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 9:29 pm:   

Start the bus. Hold the dash test switch on and go from N to R a couple of times. Mine is up for engine codes and down for trans codes. That usually clears the codes and off it goes.

How cold is it up there? That trans won't pump below a certain temp if I remember right. It may need to warm up an hour or so in neutral and reverse.

If you need parts or computer repair, don't buy anything until you talk to Randy or someone @GDE. 218-262-4553. They are the nationwide rebuilder for all electronic and sell for about 20 percent of retail.

If you don't have a code switch, GDE can surely tell you how to reset from the drivers seat. These electronic units code out for no reason frequently, so there must be a way for a driver reset or at least a switch in one of the electrical service boxes somewhere on the bus.

If that's the case you may need to flip a switch for flashing the codes and then leaving the switch in the test position, go cycle the tranny n-r-n-r-n-r, with the engine running.
Registered Member

Post Number: 276

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 10:35 pm:   

The codes are read from the shift pad by holding both the up and down arrows, Each code will come up one at a time. Unfortunately on this one when I do that it does nothing. It won't shift or show codes.
I have been talking to Waterious and may have to have them send out the mobile service truck.
I will talk to Randy and see what he thinks. Thank you for that piece of advice. I am on a steep learning curve on this one and need all the help I can get
Les
R.C.Bishop (Chuckllb)
Registered Member
Username: Chuckllb

Post Number: 1459
Posted From: 97.213.204.234

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 3:10 pm:   

Larry... GDE stands for what?...I can't seem to locate them on the Google Search (I may be just over looking the obvious??? ..lots of GDEs but nothing that stands out as electronic repair.:-) )
Thanx.
RCB
Bob Glines (Robertglines1)
Registered Member
Username: Robertglines1

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 75.224.165.108

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 3:51 pm:   

one other easy ck. pins on connectors to make sure one didn't work it self loose in connector. Not pushed into connector far enough.. Could be male or female. Bob

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration