Inverter plugs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » Inverter plugs « Previous Next »

Cory hart (Chart1)
Registered Member
Username: Chart1

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 66.203.229.1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 4:06 pm:   

I dont have a inverter as of yet.All the ones I have found have 3 prong plugs. Is this the only option or do they sale them with electrical lugs on one end to tie into the breaker box. They have lugs on the battery side.
Brian Evans (Bevans6)
Registered Member
Username: Bevans6

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 65.92.54.2

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 4:22 pm:   

The ones you want that are approved for permanent use in an RV all have permanent direct connections that tie through either an internal or external automatic switch to your electrical panel. They are unfortunately the expensive ones. Only cheap inverters or quite low power inverters have the 15 amp plugs, since they are more designed for temporary use. You can use them in an RV, you just shouldn't install them permanently or wire them through your electrical system panel.

Brian
Cory hart (Chart1)
Registered Member

Post Number: 62

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:13 pm:   

Harbor freight has a 5000w w/ 10000w surge for 499.00 it has 4 3 prong plugs on it. The way my bus is set up it has a 50a/220 rv cord and plug off of the breaker box. I manually plug it into generator or shore power. My question is could I make an adapter that goes from the 4 plugs to one side of the breaker box that would just run lights and outlets along with fridge.
Robert Munrow (Bob_munrow)
Registered Member
Username: Bob_munrow

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 98.115.187.81

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:15 pm:   

Cory: look on xantrex website just for pictures of the inverters. I have a 2500 watt freedom and have been very pleased with it. It looks like they have come down in price in the last 10 years. It will have lugs on it and a charger and I would suggest you make sure to get the remote panel inside your coach. Look forward to meeting you Bob Munrow
Cory hart (Chart1)
Registered Member

Post Number: 63

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:17 pm:   

I have always just run the genny while traveling but with fuel prices what they are and going up. I think it is time to put an inverter in. I am just wanting to use this one for short term till I can find that great deal on a nice one with charger.
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 1236
Posted From: 72.171.0.144

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 6:15 pm:   

quote:

My question is could I make an adapter that goes from the 4 plugs to one side of the breaker box that would just run lights and outlets along with fridge.

No. If you have an inverter with only outlets instead of a hard-wire provision, it can only be installed at the point of use, and any appliances must be plugged into it directly.

In order to have the inverter in one place (usually, close to the batteries) and appliances someplace else, the inverter needs to have a direct, hard-wire output and must be connected to a listed breaker panel or transfer switch.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Cory hart (Chart1)
Registered Member

Post Number: 64

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 7:42 pm:   

okay thanks, I guess I will have to wait until I hit the Lottery.
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 445
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 8:36 pm:   

Cory
Look on ebay.com and type in inverter/charger. There is all kinds of them available. Check the sellers feedback percentage to see how reliable he is. Look for a true sine wave with a 3 stage charger.
Tim Brandt (Timb)
Registered Member
Username: Timb

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 66.165.176.62

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 9:20 am:   

Just something to think about for the price of an inverter you can buy an awful lot of fuel to run the genny. If you want one by all means get one but I don't see it as a major savings in total outlay
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 683
Posted From: 149.168.204.4

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 10:56 am:   

Cory wrote: "Harbor freight has a 5000w w/ 10000w surge for 499.00 it has 4 3 prong plugs on it. The way my bus is set up it has a 50a/220 rv cord and plug off of the breaker box. I manually plug it into generator or shore power. My question is could I make an adapter that goes from the 4 plugs to one side of the breaker box that would just run lights and outlets along with fridge."

Cory, total up the wattage of the lights that you want to use, and add fridge (and probably microwave), then add a little extra for "insurance". That's your total need. I'm going to guess you could run the lights and the fridge in 5 buses with a 5K/10Ksurge inverter.

You always want to have a little more capacity than you need but going *way* over costs more money, makes more heat, is a larger physical installation, etc. And I'd be leary of a 5/10K inverter that only had 3 or 4 plugs on it (aside from the fact that it's not allowable under codes, insurance regs, etc. to plug a bus system into one). That setup would allow 20 amps to be pulled out of the plugs at "surge"). Just sounds a little like something that wouldn't be great in a converted bus setting.

And is it rated for motor vehicle use? I know that some people have found incredible deals at HF, but others have been burned badly (no pun intended). Some HF stuff is poor quality to begin with, other things are "constructor's equipment" -- OK for what they're meant for but not useful in "civilized" applications.

Get the ratings, specs, and approvals for any inverter you're considering. And consider everything very carefully.
Ralph Peters (Ralph7)
Registered Member
Username: Ralph7

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 75.214.159.84

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 2:25 pm:   

The new Xantrex 2012 inverter/charger with remote off/on switch does NOT LOAD SHARE, nor work like advertised. The charger is ok, but service??? Also it does NOT work with the Freedom remote. Will take it
out and get a Magnum 2012, my coach is 30A.
http://www.jclampstand.com/index.php?md=products
Ralph Peters (Ralph7)
Registered Member
Username: Ralph7

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 75.214.159.84

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 2:29 pm:   

Forgot to delete that link,as working on something else.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration