Gave up on computer cars and trucks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » Gave up on computer cars and trucks « Previous Next »

joe padberg (Joemc7ab)
Registered Member
Username: Joemc7ab

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 68.3.239.2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 3:43 pm:   

Dallas made that statement four posts lower,and I am wondering how members here feel if there were a choice between two similar busses, one computer controlled and the other mechanical MUI. Engine /transmission 6v92ta and 740/748 Joe.
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1272
Posted From: 71.55.183.81

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 3:55 pm:   

NO COMPUTER IF YOU HAVE TO WORK ON IT!! LOL
I hate computers and the only reason I post here and do computors is because I have to LOL

LOL
Gomer
ED Hackenbruch (Shadowman)
Registered Member
Username: Shadowman

Post Number: 359
Posted From: 75.211.219.113

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 4:34 pm:   

68 MCI 5A, 59 Ford PU, 62 Triumph TR4, 87 Jeep Wagoneer. Only the jeep has a computer, guess how i would vote. :>)
Teresa (Happycamperbrat)
Registered Member
Username: Happycamperbrat

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 173.25.102.41

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 7:36 pm:   

I purposely stayed away from the puter engine and wanted MUI..... the reason is because I wanted to run veggie oil and what I was consistently told is that it goes better with MUI but confuses the sensors on the puter fuel stuff...
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 2048
Posted From: 174.89.175.252

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 8:38 pm:   

For a busnut, mechanical engine lets you ignore your wiring. Electronic engine/transmission requires good wiring.

Busnuts of the future electronic coaches will be refurbishing the wiring instead of doing roof raises?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 216.198.139.38

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 10:55 pm:   

I had no problem running 3000' of new wireing to put in a 6V92TA DDECIV and V731 ATEC. It took a lot of reading books to understand the electronics but once you understand how it all works there is no problem with it. My friend Joe didn't want to go the electronic route but after finding how hard it is to change an electronic engine to an mui one he went for the electronic one and hasn't looked back. That was 5 years ago and no problem on either engine. They are nothing to be afraid of and actually quite simple once you read up on the workings.
Bill
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 75.91.197.166

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:36 pm:   

Bill,
I'm not afraid of computers, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have paid a lot of my bills for many years.

I do not however want a DDEC in my bus. there's nothing like being stuck in the middle of the road waiting for a wrecker because the ECM took a siesta.

Just wait, if it hasn't happened yet, it will. I also want points plugs, condenser, rotor cap and distributor cap on my gas engines.

All this is because with most of the low tech systems, if it breaks down, I can fix it, or at least do some Disney Design to get to a place where I can fix it permanently.

Simple is good.
George Martinez (Foohorse)
Registered Member
Username: Foohorse

Post Number: 412
Posted From: 72.211.128.245

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:46 pm:   

Dallas most simple computer controlled systems are far more reliable than points and condensers. I have 883,000 miles on my bricks Bosh Jetronic. I carry a spare ecm and a fuel pressure relay, for the just in case moment that seems to never happen
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 444

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 12:23 am:   

Interestingly, it isn't the reliability I was speaking of, more to the point, which would you rather do.... toss in a set of points and a condenser on the side of the road, or trouble shoot an electronics problem, which could be anything from a bad ground to a toasted ECM.
If I have a choice, at least with points, I can hot wire around a switch directly to the battery and be on the way to a safe place.

Then again,
Points, condenser, rotor, coil, distributor cap: $50

How much is the ECM for a Volvo, VW, Toyota, Ford, GM, Detroit, Cummins, Volvo Bus, Cat, &c?

How many questions have you seen on these boards concerning DDEC, ATEC, WTEC, CELECT, CELECT Plus, CAT, Alison, &c?

It's all a matter of personal preference.

Your mileage may vary, but I have seen a lot of ECM failures over the years, and it's just one more system to go wrong that I don't want.
Registered Member

Post Number: 455

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 10:00 am:   

Dal
I hear you. I carry the ProLink 9000 with me as well as one of each sensor and a spare programmed ECM plus the tools necessary to do any repair. Not taking any chances you might say. Most of electronic problems are corrosion on contacts so it might take a little time to find but both my friends and my DDEC IV units have new wireing so that generaly isn't an issue. The trouble shooting manual guides you through a proceedure to find almost anything be it a sensor or wireing issue. The only issue in 5 years was a bad throttle position sensor on Joes bus. It was a used throttle from a truck which maybe we shouldn't have used but it only took 15 minutes to repair as I had a TPS with me. If I didn't have the ProLink 9000 with me the red and yellow lights on the dash will read out the code for me and tell me the problem. I understand where you are coming from but seriously once you read and understand how the computer works it isn't anything to be afraid of. DDEC units are not nearly as complicated as a car computer. I got all my books from Ebay before I started installing these engines.
Bill
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 446

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 10:14 am:   

Bill,
I think you are not understanding.
I do understand and have worked on automotive and heavy truck computer systems for years.
I understand the troubleshooting and the repair procedures. I have also used the Prolink and laptop based diagnostic equipment.
I have also owned a small trucking company, and know for a fact that my major repair costs were due to failed electronic engine system components.

Again, as I said before, this is personal preference, not due to fear of the computer.
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 2049
Posted From: 174.91.147.243

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 10:19 am:   

ECM failure numbers are over reported and have entered the realm of mythology.

They do not fail as often as their detractors suggest.

ECM failure is code words for fleece the guy, both in our heavy equipment and our autos.

How's the owner know that it isn't?

Great way to up-sell the hapless customer.

The corrosion in the wiring and connections is disturbed or discovered in the process, or as simple as the concurrent reset or a sensor replacement and voila, it works... and a whole lot of money is made...

Then the "bad" take out is rotated to the next guy... claiming that it had to go back as a core so you don't get to take it home.

Nature of the business, some other guy gets to see the vehicle next, across the country, if it craps again due to a real problem.

Add in the technicians that are covering up the fact they don't know their heads from their a**e*, but mess with it anyway and take your money...

Perpetuating this story that ECM's are a high failure point hides this skulduggery.

The number of ECM's returned to the manufacturer and tested good is shocking, and many of those are being turned in from fleet shops, working on their own equipment!

Pricks who prick wires are the biggest problem, allowing the wires to corrode.

That's why wire refurbishment will be the future of busnut conversions.

Dallas, carry on loving the old technology, but be careful that you don't go fitting a profile...

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 447

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 11:11 am:   

I agree BW,
I can think of only one actual failed ECM in a truck I owned, and that was mostly due to the problem of it overheating when the electrical junction panel it was next to caught fire.

I have though, had numerous crank sensors, cam sensors, TPS, coolant level sensors, MAP, MAF, oil pressure sensors, temperature sensors, fail. Causing lost time, lost money, lost revenue.

Again, thankyouverymuch, I will keep my 75 year old diesel technology and my 110 year old gas engine technology.

If it works, don't fix it.
Registered Member

Post Number: 414

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   

Dallas when I am in Uruguay I ride my horse
Jack Fids (Jack_fids)
Registered Member
Username: Jack_fids

Post Number: 607

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 12:50 pm:   

....and it rocks
back & forth
latvia-69 (Latvia69)
Registered Member
Username: Latvia69

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 97.104.218.18

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 1:08 pm:   

great information up to dallas!!!!!after that seems like a no brainer
Registered Member

Post Number: 456

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 5:36 pm:   

Dal
I didn't meen to insult you. It was the orginal post to see which engine would I choose. The MUI is easy to repair at the side of the road but if you understand the electronic one it is also easy to fix. You understand the DDEC system but most busnuts don't, so are afraid to get involved with it. I like mine but also carry the neccessary sensors, books and test equipment as well. Just in case.
Bill
Donald P H (Eagle19952)
Registered Member
Username: Eagle19952

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 75.202.86.163

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 12:05 am:   

I like mine but also carry the neccessary sensors, books and test equipment as well. Just in case.
which adds a few thousand $$ to the experiance,i go with the straight 100 year old tech too.
To each his own :-)
macgyver (91flyer)
Registered Member
Username: 91flyer

Post Number: 612
Posted From: 173.217.47.28

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 2:28 am:   

Lots of people chiming in on this topic... I might as well chime in as well.

With a mechanical Diesel engine, you only need air and fuel for the thing to run. The only time you NEED electrics is to start it... And of course for aux stuff like lights.

Computers introduce a whole new aspect to the equasion. No longer does your engine just need air and fuel to run, now it requires a steady stream of electrons and data from sensors that are often decades old and on the verge of failing... Ask me, I should know. My 60 footer was a DDEC-II computer controlled engine... *ANY* sensor fault, and the computer would automatically shut everything down, regardless of whether there was actually a problem or not.

On my 1100 mile trip home with the 60 footer, I had numerous sensor faults, all causing shutdown events... And let me tell you... Having your engine shut down in the middle of a busy 5 lane intersection when there isn't really any problem at all... Is not fun.

That's why, after the 60 footer... I decided to NEVER have another computer controlled bus again. If I could, I'd never have a computer controlled vehicle of any kind, but of course, that's getting quite difficult these days.

So, my opinion? Stick with the mechanical engines. Computers, while great for business, just don't belong in engines in our world. They introduce too many unknowns and too many points of failure. The (MINOR!) gains in fuel economy and power simply aren't worth the upkeep and expense of computerized engine control systems for a privately owned and operated DIESEL powered buses.

Not to mention the specialized equipment and knowledge to diagnose and repair the faults in the first place...

Just my 2 cents on the topic...

-Mac

EDIT:

Also, as to the reliability of the ECM itself... I've only *EVER* seen *ONE* ECM actually fail. 99.9% of the time, the problem is nearly always a broken wire, corroded connections, broken connections, ground faults and so on and so on...

In the ONE instance I actually diagnosed a failed ECU, the vehicle was a Ford Fiesta (I purchased for $100 as a project car some years back), and the failure was caused by the voltage regulator on the alternator. On testing, the alternator was pumping out somewhere around 50v instead of the ~13v it should have been... So, of course, the ECU released copious amounts of magic smoke.

That's the only ECU failure I've ever seen that required complete replacement of the unit.

I will say that I had an old Datsun 280ZX that also showed symptoms of ECU failure... But after ripping the thing apart, I discovered several cold solder joints. I simply applied new solder, cleaned everything up and put it back in... Away she went, so I don't consider that one an ECU failure, just a "tired" ECU. :-)

Cheers!

(Message edited by 91flyer on March 15, 2011)
Jim Wilke (Jim Bob) (Pd41044039)
Registered Member
Username: Pd41044039

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 184.0.13.120

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 11:06 am:   

I'm with Dallas,
I have two MUI buses, 4 ECU cars. All 4 cars present repeated "Check Engine" lights with one of the cars (Chrysler Sebring) dropping cylinders to the poiint it barely ran. Problem? It had a couple of "bad" plug wires (68K original miles) and the computer was shutting off the fuel injectors to keep the exhaust within pollution specs. The MUI bus engines have never left me anywhere and never created secondary running problems trying to keep the exhaust clean!
Another car, VW Jetta has an impact sensor in the dashboard cluster. If you are towing the car and some ice comes off your bus & hits the windshield of the Jetta, it disables the engine from starting, a theft deterrant. This is BS in a car that has a chip in the key. How's anybody gonna take it without the key?
Personally, if bad guys hit my wife's car with a bat, I want the car to start so she can escape or run them over. (MY wife would run them over, then shoot them!)
BTW, we had to be tow the car to the VW Dealer & have it reset at the cost of $214.
I could go on for several hours. Guess which I vote for?
Registered Member

Post Number: 418

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 8:38 pm:   

I don't believe in that new fangled horseless carrige thing. I will stick with my buckboard and horse or mule. sshhheeessh.
Registered Member

Post Number: 419

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 8:40 pm:   

I don't believe in that new fangled horseless carrige thing. I will stick with my buckboard and horse or mule. sshhheeessh.
Len Silva (Lsilva)
Registered Member
Username: Lsilva

Post Number: 454
Posted From: 72.187.35.208

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 9:14 pm:   

Could you say that again, I didn't understand?
Registered Member

Post Number: 420

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 9:30 pm:   

Len it's been awhile since someone did a double post for Dallas. you remember he likes it when we do that.
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 67.141.73.164

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 9:36 pm:   

That's the way,
Unh-Hunh, Unh-Hunh!

I Like It!
Unh-Hunh, Unh-Hunh!

*KC and the Sunshine Band
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 67.141.73.164

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 9:38 pm:   

Darn, It wouldn't let me post it twice with this message:

Message Already Posted Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
You have already posted a message to this discussion which:

* Was posted within the last two minutes
* Was posted by you
* Was the same as the message you entered before

You probably hit the button twice.
Registered Member

Post Number: 422

Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 11:53 pm:   

Dallas it's ok buddy go lie down take some of Marvin's meds and all will be well.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration