George, Gomer and other A/C experts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » March 2011 » George, Gomer and other A/C experts « Previous Next »

Jim Wilkerson (Wagwar)
Registered Member
Username: Wagwar

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 69.152.168.208

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 7:27 pm:   

I posted a couple of follow up questions on the thread below: Driver A/C, Heat and Defrost

Its getting a little low on the list...
George M. Todd (George_todd)
Registered Member
Username: George_todd

Post Number: 1210
Posted From: 99.146.10.201

Posted on Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   

Jim,
Good thing you posted this advisory, as for some unknown reason, a new arrow didn't show on the original thread below.

This compressor will be just fine.
The cam pulleys would be fine also, except that they are a little smaller than your clutch pulley, which will cause your compressor to run slower than the engine. Remember that a 6V92 is under 500 RPM at idle, and 2100 Max, while a 454 gasser will idle at about 700-750, and 2500 RPM cruise isn't unusual.
The cam pulleys turn engine speed, but 250 RPM compressor speed won't keep you cool stopped at a light.
You are going to need a driven pulley at least two inches larger than than the clutch pulley.
G
Jim Wilkerson (Wagwar)
Registered Member

Post Number: 153

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 8:02 pm:   

Thanks George,

If I understand that, then I need one of two things:

1. A clutch pulley that is much smaller - is such a thing available and are clutch pulleys interchangeable?

OR

2. Larger pulleys on the cam drive - same question is that even possible? Are larger cam pulleys available?

OR

Do you have an alternate recommendation to make this work?

Thank you for your patience!
Registered Member

Post Number: 1212

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 8:32 pm:   

Jim, any time, and thanks for the thanks!
A smaller clutch pulley may be available, and they are interchangeable. I don't know about cam pulley sizing.
I do believe the drive that is below and off to the side of the cam pulleys can be set up to run something like 1.4/1. Some of the Detroit experts should be able to help with this one. Or use the crank pulley if it isn't already taken? Its the right size to start with!
G
Jim Wilkerson (Wagwar)
Registered Member

Post Number: 154

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 11:28 am:   

Hi George,

There are two grooves available on the crank pulley - probably from the old otr a/c. So, that would be the easiest way to proceed.

However, the crank pulleys use a much larger width belt than a typical automotive a/c fan pulley. So would I not have to find a clutch pulley that matched the width and depth of the crank pulley?

Is a pulley that size available and mountable on the auto a/c clutch? If so, where would I find such an animal?

Thanks.
Jim Wilkerson (Wagwar)
Registered Member

Post Number: 155

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 8:00 pm:   

followup to my last post:

I took a good look at the engine and there is no clearance for larger pulleys on the cam. So that is not an option.
Registered Member

Post Number: 1216

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 8:41 pm:   

Jim,

Various pulleys are available for compressors, as a whole lot of them have the same shaft size.
A pulley with one large belt would work fine also, as bus air is usually 7-10 Tons, and auto air is only about 1 1/2 Tons.
I would try Red Dot, Vintage Air, Old Air, or a local radiator shop that does auto AC for pulleys.
G
marvin pack (Gomer)
Registered Member
Username: Gomer

Post Number: 1314
Posted From: 71.55.183.81

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   

Jim and george, Have seen a system that use a 2-pulley system to obtain the proper rpm. The drive pulley went to a pulley with a larger pulley made with it, kinda like a crankshaft pulley on a car and the larger pulley went to this pump. This was done for the same reason as Jims problem, couldn't get enough rpm's out of it to properly operating speed.

Gomer

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration