Heart 1800-12 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » April 2011 » Heart 1800-12 « Previous Next »

John & Barb Tesser (Bigrigger)
Registered Member
Username: Bigrigger

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 96.42.5.35

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 11:01 am:   

i just bid $100 on an inverter "as is where is". From the picture it doesn't look like it has been abused, but I guess we will see if I win it. My question is can i just wire that in series with my electric panel already in my bus? The service panel that is there is one of those small ones out of a motorhome that has about 6 or 8, 12 volt fused connections and I think 4 circuit breakers (can't get into the bus yet thanks to Wisconsin spring!). I am thinking I can just leave that in and wire the inverter in the line before that panel. As an electrician I make a great truck driver so maybe this whole thread isn't making sense from a wiring perspective.

Thanks for helping me think through this,
John
Derrick Thomas (Thomasinnv)
Registered Member
Username: Thomasinnv

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 67.142.130.22

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 11:11 am:   

with the use of some type of transfer switch you certainly could wire it in that way, but I wouldn't. you would be powering everything in the bus that way, including those items you really don't want to such as: power converter, fridge, elec water heater etc. I suppose you could do it that way and just make sure you switch off any breakers that you don't want energized. personally, I would put in a sub panel for just the circuits you want energized from the inverter and power just the sub panel through a transfer switch. make it dummy proof.
Registered Member

Post Number: 496

Posted on Monday, March 28, 2011 - 5:55 pm:   

Thanks for the comeback Derrick. I won the inverter so I am going down tomorrow and pick it up and maybe I will have a better idea about how to use it once I have it (assuming it works!) I have a lot of wireing to figure out this year as I have a different generator and two new air conditioners to put on, so I guess this will be the time to redo everythihg that has been pieced together by the PO over the course of years.

John
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 362
Posted From: 72.100.90.32

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 8:16 pm:   

Feed the Inverter with one of those A/C breakers at least a 20 prefferably a 30 if you can. Do you have a spare can you safley double something up?

Then the A/C power coming out of the inverter going to a sub panel with however many circuts you would like. Small square-d box 4 breaker nothin big.

You could also a/c power out of the inverter to a string of outlets scattered around the bus and put them where you need them. There should be circut protection on the inverter itself so the sub panel would be redundent but many do it that way it would not be too much expence.
Registered Member

Post Number: 501

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 10:59 pm:   

Thanks Joe that was kind of what I had in mind, but I think I envisioned it backwards. I need to feed the inverter from the panel. I will seek more advice before actually cutting wires!

John
Debbie and Joe Cannarozzi (Joe_camper)
Registered Member
Username: Joe_camper

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 75.221.39.129

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   

Yes our Main a/c panel has 2 rows of breakers the tleft row is 1 50 amp leg and the right row is the other 50 amp leg.

I have 1 30 amp breaker on each row (leg) that is feeding the input to my 2 inverters.

The a/c coming out of the inverters then goes to a sub panel with all the inverter powered appliances you would like.

I know Marathon just runs the a/cout of the inverters thrua string of outlets so if they can get away with it I will assume that way is also acceptable.

You can only eliminate the sub panel if there is circute breaker protection on the inverter itself.

Our 2500 Heart has a 25 amp breaker on it. Thats the one that is your limit.

All the breakers on a subpanel if you do that are reduced to short protection with that main on the inverter itself.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration