Anti Freeze Leak Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2011 » April 2011 » Anti Freeze Leak « Previous Next »

Larry Nelson (Larryn4106)
Registered Member
Username: Larryn4106

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 173.30.255.210

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 7:02 pm:   

I need some help here. Today I had my 4106 out of the garage "for exercise" and when I got back, I parked it in the drive and worked straightening out my shop where the bus lives. I had noticed "wet" under the bus but I thought my wife had watered some plants. Later, a closer look showed anti freeze. The leak is from a small fitting that had fractured off from what I believe to be my thermostat housing. This fitting has a braided line running to the top of the surge tank. The base of this fitting remains in the thermostat housing. It is too close to try an easy out. I am asking if the thermostat housing castings can be removed easily. Then I believe I can get that fitting out and replaced. Or, should I try some JB Weld (it did not appear that that fitting was under a lot of pressure)....

I am posting this same 9-1-1 call on several bus forums to forgive me. Also, on the 4106, the casting with the broken fitting is the "tall box" that is next to the rear valve cover. The GMC Diesel Maint. Manual shows it exactly on page 1.

Thanks in advance.

Larry
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 484
Posted From: 75.91.199.134

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 8:02 pm:   

If you are talking about what I think you are, there is a bolt behind the mount that is a real bugger to remove.
JB Weld is good, but..... There ain't nuttin' like fixing it right the first time. (I fixed a leaky crossover pipe with JB Weld, and it's been running since 2003).

Once you get that housing off, it won't e any problem to easyout the broken fitting.

Best of Luck to you. We know you can do it, your tough!
Larry Nelson (Larryn4106)
Registered Member
Username: Larryn4106

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 173.30.255.210

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 8:17 pm:   

Dallas, the planets must be lined up today. I tried a square EZ Out. Pretty tight to try to "nudge" it down (with a claw hammer sideways). First time it would not bite enough to break it loose so I tried some Kroil for about an hour and I was able to get the fitting out. Hurray......(not to go to Lowes and get another brass fitting...) Thanks for your encouragement.
Dal Farnworth (Dallas)
Registered Member
Username: Dallas

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 75.91.199.134

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 9:20 pm:   

Larry, on soft metal, the only esyouts I use are the square ones.
I have a set I bought in about 1999 that has worked great.. they are from Great Neck.
I also have a set from Matco that goes up to 3/4" ID that I haven't used much, but seems pretty stout.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration