Bus Conversion Insurance Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2004 » July 2004 » Bus Conversion Insurance « Previous Next »

Jack Watson J@ck5b (4.27.9.125)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 1:12 am:   

My insurance agent is RV Alliance, (was Alexander & Alexander) for almost 10 years I have been insured by Royal & SunAlliance (a UK Company), but was told that they have ceased offering insurance in the US. RV Alliance has offered to place me with another insurer but then they want me to get a road worthy report from a certified mechanic and also an appraisal and photos of the inside and outside of my coach. Also begining 09/01/04 Royal is switching their "sign & Drive" towing to reimbursement only which means I will have to pay up front then send in the towing bills for reimbursement. At this point to avoid the appraisel & Certified Mechanic report I have decided to stay with Royal SunAlliance (they must continue to keep me in WA state as long as they are licensed here).
I would like to know what insurance companies some of you are using and what their requirments involve?
Rodger in WA (64.70.24.67)

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 10:26 am:   

Check with Miller Agency in OR. They are experienced with bus conversions. They put me with Progressive Insurance Co. (includes road emergency). I've made two claims in the 5 years I've been with Progressive. One tow on the RE and one for collision damage. No complaints for service on both claims.
Agreed replacement value available. Will require
a professional appraisal, which involves filling out a form and mailing photos to the appraser.
Miller Ins # 800.436.7077
James Maxwell (Jmaxwell) (66.81.52.196)

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 2:50 pm:   

RVAA will place him with Progressive, so why go to Miller? He is trying to avoid all the bs of the process of going to another underwriter that either Miller or RVAA will require for writing him with Progressive. On the other hand, Royal/Sun will continue to cover him, and at a lesser rate than what either Miller or RVAA will offer from Progressive. I know 2 different people that are now insuring directly from Royal/Sun.

My suggestion is to stay with Royal/Sun for now and start looking at the major's (like State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers) as an alternative. My experience and info eliminates Good Sam (GM) as they won't write a self conversion for Coll & Comp. Same for AAA. I really have no knowledge of Farmers but I do know that State Farm and Allstate will extend full coverage, at least in certain states. I make no claims as to how good either one of them are, although I do have State Farm on both buses and am just now getting the Appraisal for the Neoplan to add the full coverage to it. They would have written it without one, based on my production of receipts, but I chose to get a pro appraisal at $143 for my own protection should they and I have disagreement in the event of a claim.
John the newguy (199.232.244.10)

Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 9:31 pm:   

http://www.gmacinsurance.com/

They're easy to sign up with. I had one RV
with full (collision & Liability) and one
with just liability....and the car..
Henry R. Bergman, Jr. (Henryofcj) (63.224.197.10)

Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 4:18 pm:   

Progressive with no exceptions and limitations THAT I AM AWARE OF. Was very straight forward with my agent with me doing ALL of the conversion work AND living inside the shell while this is going on.

Very $expensive$ but doable with a value (for now)of $6000.00 with a $500 deductable with Oregon State minimums for liability and uninsured motorist. About $550.00 per year. OUCH!
Peter E (Sdibaja) (67.117.219.151)

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 9:16 am:   

When RVAA sent me the form letter I tried to call.
fruitless, could no get off hold.
then I emailed RVAA
no response
I then sent Postal Mail.
got another canned package 4 or 5 weeks later, well after my expire date.
I did renew with Royal/Sundance on time despite RVAA.

... the original rate I paid with Royal/Sundance was high, 20% more than a simillar coverage policy on may car.
The quote that RVAA sent with the form letter was nearly 3 times the previous rate... I would rather be "self insured" than pay that rate!

I will do no more business with RVAA.
---
any California specific recomendations?
Peter
J@ck5b (4.27.9.125)

Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 8:23 pm:   

Hi,Rodger,James,John,Henery,and Peter thanks for your suggestions and input.
Like I stated earlier I am staying with Royal SunAlliance.
For your comparison:
Total Premium $465 includes:
Liability:$500,00
Medical Payments:$10,000 person
Underinsured Motorist Coverage(Including Uninsured Motorist)Bodily Injury/Property Damage:
$500,000
Comprehensive: ACV lesw $1,000 Deductible
Collision: ACV less $2,500 Deductible
Campers Personal Property: $2,000 less $100 Ded
RV Plus II / Unlimited Towing
I have the Disappearing Deductible now at $00
Also Limited Mexico Coverage(Still need Mex Ins)
I do not have at stated value insurance it is only ACV and I'm not too sure how that works, I know it means Actual Cash Value less Depreciation! but I don't know how they would determine the actual dollar value?
By the way RV Alliance did offer to place me with Progressive and A friend who has a MCI5a with RVA is being offered insurance with National Interstate Insurance Co. I think he said it would be about $625. with a stated value of $72,000 (Needs to have his coach appraised ($200) someone they are sending to where the bus is parked) Thanks again, Jack Watson (PrimeTime) http://mysite.verizon.net/jrwa/
James Maxwell (Jmaxwell) (66.81.214.60)

Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:33 am:   

Is that a 6 mo. premium or 1 yr?
J@ck5b (4.27.9.125)

Posted on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 2:19 am:   

That is $465.00 premium for 1 year.
PAT YOUNG (202.78.97.13)

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:56 pm:   

try GMAC

They have ensured my bus, nd friend's bus conversis for ten years now, and they are CHEAP!

Pat Young
Fresno, Ca
559 251-3814
Alton Gattis (Fiddlearound) (64.28.99.59)

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 11:19 pm:   

Howdy fellow busnuts. I have been lurking for a year, found this site after I talked my wife into purchasing a converted MCI 7. I have since been trying to learn what I should have known before buying this monster. I have several problems to put to the board, but just this one this evening. I have tried to find the answer in Da Book, but couldn't. Today, one of my "idiot lights" came on on the dash and there is no decal message printed on it. The dash is the OEM and the light is to the left of the one that says "Retarder". It is yellow and comes on when the brake is applied. Air pressure is fine and the brakes work properly. When stopped, the light comes on and off with a very light touch (not engaging the brake). Can one of you experienced gentlemen please inform me what this is and the process for fixing it? Thanks,

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration