EasterlinPark Campground, Ft. Lauderd... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » PLACES WE STAY ! » United States » Florida » EasterlinPark Campground, Ft. Lauderdale, FL « Previous Next »

Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy) (64.12.107.41)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 7:06 pm:   

A true urban wilderness park near downtown Ft. Lauderdale. I have stayed here a couple of times and really enjoy the wilderness as Florida looked 50-100 years ago. 30 and 50 amp electric and water. No sewer. Dump station on exit road.
I have cut and pasted short description of facility. Visit posted web site for more info.
Richard

This 47-acre site was acquired in 1944 and developed in the early '60s as a 44-campsite county facility called Cypress Park. It was renamed John D. Easterlin Park, after the former County Commissioner, in April 1965 and later became a Designated Urban Wilderness Area.
Relatively undisturbed buffer areas of thick wild coffee, ferns, dahoon holly, cabbage palm, oak, and red maple shield the park from surrounding developed areas. Cypress trees 250 years old and 100 feet tall are common in the park, which is also home to such wildlife as ducks, squirrels, and peacocks.
Easterlin’s features include 55 RV and tent rental campsites, 45 with water and electricity, as well as a shower/restroom facility, playground, and the 3/4-mile Woodland Nature Trail. Primitive group camping is also available by reservation to nonprofit groups. There is one 40-capacity picnic shelter with grill, water, electricity, and picnic tables; additional tables and grills are located in shaded picnic areas near the park’s entrance. Fishing is permitted along the shore of a lake (freshwater fishing licenses may be required for ages 16 and up), and there are facilities for basketball, volleyball, and horseshoes.
Easterlin Park
1000 N.W. 38th St., Oakland Park, FL 33309
(954) 938-0610 · Fax: (954) 938-0625
http://www.co.broward.fl.us/parks/pri01300.htm
JOyteeb

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   

Can you tell me the price range of this park? I tried the site listed above and it says the page is not available. Thank you. JOYTEEB@altelco.net Also, is there an email address for this place?
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   

Joyce, I do not remember the price, but it was very reasonable as I recall. Suggest you give them a call and make a reservation for fall and winter. I do not recall having any trouble getting in, but it has been a few years.
Do a Yahoo search for Easterlin Park and several interesting sites ccome up. I would love to go to the country music festival in July.
Richard
mikeEMC

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   

This is one of my favorite campgrounds. i had a business on the corner of 38th and powerline before i was into buses and would go there to eat lunch. if your into tropical fish there are some of the nicest viewing areas. back in the 70's it was no frills tent camping and few people , not many campers ever heard of the park. a must vist and stay a while place. take the oakland park exit off 95 powerline is about 1/4 mile and turn left and left on 38th street easy to get to
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)

Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:33 am:   

I was recently informed that it was closed for the indefinite future. Apparently received a lot of damage from the hurricane that just passed thru.
Richard

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration