A 'comfortable dinette booth? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » March 2006 » A 'comfortable dinette booth? « Previous Next »

Jerry Liebler (Jerry_liebler)

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   

I'm about to build a dinette booth and searched the archives for hints. I found a FF post that showed a seat contour with 4 different angles but I can't see how it'll make into a bed less than 8 feet long. I'd like better comfort than the typical 2 cushion set up and don't want a bed longer than an extra long twin (80"). I've measured the most comfortable chair in my house and think it can be duplicated with a 3 cushion design with a 16 " seat cushion tilted 16 degrees, an 18" back cushion 22 degrees off of vertical and a 6" vertical headrest. If I used 3" cushions I'd have a 28" table. With 2 hinges per side I can arrange for the seating angles and have it 'fold' flat for a bed. So what are the questions? Can 3" cushions work for both seating and sleeping? If so what ILD foam will be needed? If I went to the more usual 5" cushion I'd lose storage space and the table would shrink to 24", again what Ild is best? Is a 24" table too small? With the 3" cushions I could add an air mattress, is that the best answer? Has anyone built such a contraption?
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Ed Jewett (Kristinsgrandpa)

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   

I believe I'd hit the motorhome sales lots and look at what they have till I found one I liked, then measure it.

If you come up with a good design I'd like to know since I have yet to do mine.

ED
motorcoach1

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   

would a fold out drop leaf table help in your need ?
TVDAD

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   

I found a railroad salvage company called the Hobo railway and bought whats called a walk overseat and built a table between them. The advantage of the walk over seat is that it also makes a love seat faces into the living area.
Mark Scott

Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   

Jerry, I'd look at the Villa Furniture website. On it, you will find a dinette in section view with a few dimensions on it. I built an L shaped dinette with a table that slides back and forth. Its comfortable, but not set up to sleep someone, not yet anyway. Do it your way, Mark
FAST FRED

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 5:56 am:   

The contoured design does work for sleeping , as youre head rests on a pillow so the seat dip necessary for fine sitting is not noticed.

As the unit will probably be used 99% of the time for sitting , be very wary of the 90Deg designs that are uncomfortable 100% of the time.

Remember resturants chose the 90deg backbreaker to get the tables to turn over, and get the next diner in, NOT for comfort.

There is a huge difference between the density of sitting foam and sleeping foam.

Simplest I have seen was a better quality air mattress blown up for the occasional guest and placed on the dinette for the evening.

FAST FRED
Brent Coursey

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   

Jerry,
I picked up a book today at the library called: "Cruising World's Workbench" author Bruce Bingham. In the book they have a bunch of projects to help boat people make the most of their on-board spaces. In the book they have a couple of pages that give some good ideas on dinettes/tables. You might want to check it out...literally!
Brent
Jerry Liebler (Jerry_liebler)

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:00 am:   

Brent,
Thank you for the hint, it'll be difficult for me to check it out as I live in rural Kentucky where libraries aren't high on the government's priorities.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
Gary Stadler (Boogiethecat)

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:47 am:   

Used ones for $15 bucks...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071379630/002-8887486-3412811?v=glance&n=283155
Ed (Ednj)

Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   

Jerry
I sent you a picture.
Check your email

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration