Oasis Rv Resort Las Vegas Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » PLACES WE STAY ! » Places To Avoid! » Oasis Rv Resort Las Vegas « Previous Next »

sarah woellert
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.192.160.90

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   

This place sure looks nice, but don't be fooled! My husband and I picked this out as our destination 2 months in advance of our intended arrival date. We called ahead and got quotes on rates, along with any vehical requirements (which was a checklist quite long: no dents, no broken glass or plywood on windows, no window ac units, good paint etc.) We were assured that although our rig was over 10 years old, if it met all these requirements we would be accepted with no problems. We repainted the whole bus to meet their standards before we arrived. On the way to this park, we met with some bad luck and broke down. Good Sam arranged to tow the bus to this park for the night and then arrange for a repair in the morning. We arrived at the park at 9:00pm with 2 small children and the bus in tow where we were initially met with great hospitality and the front desk manager ushered me in to the lobby saying "go right over there and tell them Cindy sent you, we'll get you all set up!" I was relieved and grateful to say the least as it had been quite a rough day. After checking in for one night and having my credit card successfully charged for the outragous $40 per night fee, I had just barely made it out the front door to go park my rig when the desk clerk came out behind me saying "excuse me ma'm, you cannot stay here!" I got a stunned look on my face and asked why in the world not! What seemed to be the problem? He said, (and I quote) "our owner came out and saw your rig, and he says, your rig not very good." I was literally speechless. "what?" "I don't understand, Our rig meets all the requirements you gave me! Not to mention that this is a $100,000 rig!" He said "No, our policy says no rigs over 10 years old, and your rig not very good." Our "rig" is a 1974 MC-8 that was converted last year, and looks just like it did from the factory on the outside, but on the inside it has hardwood floors, marble bathroom vanity, all stainless steel kitchen (including countertops), washing machine, custom beds and closets & leather sofa, 32" flat screen tvs, and tankless water heater, whirlpool full size bath, and countless other extras unheard of on factory class A's. I mentioned to him that their brochures and personnel had stated that their policy was not "nothing over 10 years old" but that it had to pass inspection if it was over 10 years old, and even that was only for a monthly stay, and we were only staying the night! Even so, our rig passed every point on their checklist,we had made an extra effort to ensure that it did before we got there! But the owner (who didn't care that it was almost 10pm and we had 2 kids) had the audacity to tell my husband "you'd be better off if you just go park that thing behind the save-on drugs and stay in a motel!" My husband told him "Sir, i have 2 kids and everything we own is in that bus! I can't just go park it behind the drug store for the next junkie who comes along to break in and strip everything out of it!"

I completely respect the right of a park owner to refuse service to those that he feels would diminish the value of his establishment (however unfounded), however I do not feel that he has a right to reneg on a statement previously made promising service.
He turned our family away, virtually in the middle of the night with nowhere else to go in a strange town simply because our bus was being towed.
Do not believe any promises made by anyone representing this park. They have made it very clear that their word is not to be trusted, and they may discriminate unfairly based soley on their own predjudices and opinions.
Their name and address is:

Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort
2711 West Windmill
Las Vegas, NV 89123
Sean Welsh (Sean)
Registered Member
Username: Sean

Post Number: 492
Posted From: 67.142.130.28

Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   

With the closure of the Silverton last year, the Oasis and the (crappy, IMO) Circus-Circus KOA are the only two RV parks left in proximity to the strip. Outdoor Resorts is much more expensive, while at the same time being further from the strip. The Oasis, at least, has a shuttle.

Our coach is 21 years old and we did not have any problems being accepted at the Oasis for a stay of several nights.

You might consider that being towed in is a giant red flag: it creates the perception that your coach is on the verge of being inoperative or un-roadworthy -- a park owner's worst nightmare. Even if the reality is different (and who among us has not suffered the occasional breakdown?), a park owner can be forgiven for this stance: it is a thousand times harder to evict a tenant (for any reason -- even egregious ones) than it is to simply deny admission in the first place. That fact is courtesy of the great American judicial system, and the liability that attaches to being a landlord. Sad, but true.

I submit, for your further consideration, that park owners could not care less what your coach looks like on the inside, making your argument about marble floors, etc. irrelevant to the discussion. $10,000 invested in a paint job will get you into more parks than $100,000 invested on interior appointments -- park personnel only see your coach from the outside.

We seldom stay in RV parks, and so are not normally troubled by these sorts of issues. Las Vegas, at least near the strip, is one of those places, though, where there is really no choice: parking-lot style boondocking is prohibited by Clark County ordinance (ironically, rendering the manager's comment about parking behind CVS completely unhelpful). Nevertheless, IMO, Oasis is the best option left in Vegas, and I hate to see them tarred and feathered in this forum when your own post admits to extenuating circumstances.

Just my $0.02.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.US
sarah woellert
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.192.160.90

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   

you are entitled to your opinion too.
They never did refund my $40 like they said they would either.
R.J.(Bob) Evans (Bobofthenorth)
Registered Member
Username: Bobofthenorth

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 142.165.179.130

Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   

We always stay at Sam's Town - they have a free shuttle to the strip and, as near as I can tell anyway, if it will pull itself onto their lot then it is OK with them.
Nellie Wilson (Vivianellie)
Registered Member
Username: Vivianellie

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 70.49.114.250

Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   

Okay, I'm reading this 2+ years down the pike (I'm a newbie, so just catching up) but I'm backing Sarah 100% on this deal (not that anyone's gonna read it anyway).

Sure, rules are rules, but Sarah and family complied with those. And rules or not, rude is rude 24-7.

Sure, Sean, there were 'extenuating circumstances' but so what? Life is full of extenuating circumstances. And these were not unique, nothing that couldn't have been foreseen by the operators of this joint.

Coaches break (Lord, don't I know about that!), $10,000 paint jobs or not.

No offense, but you sound a trifle elitist, my friend. Brings to mind the old "He doth protest too much" question. Namely, why?

Go Girl!

Nellie Wilson

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration