Air suspension adjustment (lift kit)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » September 2006 » Air suspension adjustment (lift kit) « Previous Next »

mark (Coolbus)
Registered Member
Username: Coolbus

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 65.40.227.162

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   

I know this is a stretch, but...

Is there any logical way to adjust the ride height of an air ride bus to give more ground clearance? I know this must sound rediculous, but I'm not talking about a "monster bus" , just a slight adjustment to give a little more ground clearance.

Bus ground clearance (especially with a 40 footer) seems to be very unforgiving. Do you guys with 40 footers get 'hung up' or 'high centered' very often? Looks to me like it would be a fairly common problem, especially with some of the entrances and access to certain (off highway) parking lots, side roads, etc.

Is there anything to what I'm concerned about? Are some bus's more problematic than others?

The planned usage of my (future) bus will be short trips, long weekends, etc. to some of the "older" parks in the Northwest. Vehicle length is yet another challenge!

thanks
Mark
JR Lynch (Njt5047)
Registered Member
Username: Njt5047

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 69.132.238.127

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:07 pm:   

Are you sure that the ride height is correct?
You change the ride height by adjusting the links that attach the air leveling valves to the axles.
Don't get under the bus when performing this operation...bus will come down when you play with the air system.
You may wish to check that the air pressure is correct..but if the factory ride height is attained, the air pressue is OK.
You can manually adjust the ride height for leveling by installing a system to control the air pressure on the drive and front axles. RTS/Daytona builds an electric control for that purpose..or you can go cheap like I did and build it from a series of ball valves.
You'll have to have a non-regulated source of air from ahead of the regulators. Then watch the air suspension pressure...you can damage airbags with too much air.
My MCI operates at about 60 lbs per bag...you could safely go up to 80 lbs, which would gain an inch or a little more over standard ride height...I wouldn't operate the coach on the highway with it overpressurized. For a short period you could use overpressurized air bags as a git-over feature. I've read that you can go to about 100 lbs on an airbag..I'm not...but? It won't move much from 80 lbs anyway.
Old checked airbags probably should not be overpressurized at all.
Be careful where you go with a bus..get it hung up and you'll be working on the bay floors. That'll cave them in soo fast. Tear up some expensive stuff. Not to mention towing off will tear up your wallet. Have I suggested a road sevice contract yet? Could see having to keep the engine running until someone arrives to pull the bus off so that the air system doesn't leak down adding further insult to the coach.
Watch out for unimproved roads too...get in during dry weather, cannot get out if rains come.
Cheers, JR
JR Lynch (Njt5047)
Registered Member

Post Number: 65

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   

I thought one could delete a post...somehow I double posted this thing...??? Cannot find a way to remove the extra post. I there's anyway to do this..let me know?
Thanks, JR

(Message edited by njt5047 on September 18, 2006)
Ross Carlisle (Rrc62)
Registered Member
Username: Rrc62

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 67.142.130.16

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   

"RTS/Daytona's electric air control systems"

Can these be found on RTS buses? Where would it be mounted on the bus?

Ross
Jim Stewart (H3jim)
Registered Member
Username: H3jim

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 68.7.236.108

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:00 am:   

My 41 footer was dragging some on entrances to parking lots, and i do go to the desert frequently. When I had the shop replace some bad leveler valves, and put one way valves at all the levelers, I told them when adjusting the fide height to adjust a little on the high side. I think they raised it about an inch, but it was enough, I haven't scraped since. If I ever do the pressure valves for leveling while parked, I could select any ride height I want, I could even lower it some for the super slab and maybe increase fuel mileage. Lots of things you can do.
Ron Walker (Prevost82)
Registered Member
Username: Prevost82

Post Number: 253
Posted From: 208.181.210.47

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:10 am:   

I take my bus down logging roads, to foresty campsites, all the time. Never had a problem...not to say that I don't have to watch where I go when I get off the road...
Ron
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 896
Posted From: 70.48.193.183

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   

Hello.

Suspension geometry demands proper ride height for going down the road, so you might not want to mess with stock settings for regualr driving.

That said, MCI's Renaissance, 102 EL3, is capable of lowering or raising its suspension with a dash control, so it doesn't scrape a high approach/depart or high centre as easily.

The MCI 102 DL3 has an option for raising the rear end to prevent dragging the engine on the ground for steep approaches.

And every transit built for over a decade is capable of kneeling the front to assist in the step up from street level.

So, there are stock controls and valving out there to fiddle with ride height.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Doug G
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.235.250.34

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   

Our 93 102DL3 has a rear raise feature switch that operates two valves to inflate the bags and raise the rear. We've used it often to get over bumps and curbs. It does not raise the front though, and once a rock outcropping tore off the metal guard under the air dryer and MCI does not have the part. Anybody out there got one?
JR Lynch (Njt5047)
Registered Member

Post Number: 67

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   

RTS/Daytona is the name of a guy that posts on some of the bus boards. I'll see if I can get more info for you. The device he builds is a small board with electrically controlled air solenoids that allow for inflation and deflation of individual air bags from the drivers seat.
The unit is not part of an RTS bus.
JR
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1682
Posted From: 75.108.82.163

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   

hawk_ii_mail@yahoo.com

Richard
JR Lynch (Njt5047)
Registered Member

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   

Thanks Richard
Bryce Gaston (Busted_knuckle)
Registered Member
Username: Busted_knuckle

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 65.7.40.231

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   

Setra's also have dash controls to raise or lower front/rear/whole bus ! I love the set up and if El Sonador makes it to the "TN FALL BUSH BASH @ Knuckle's" Oct 26th-31st ! We'll be installing the same cylinders and dump valves on his MC9 to make it do so also! BK

Way cool set up I! love it I'm also fixing to put it on dad's 102A3!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration