Air starter change-out Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Air starter change-out « Previous Next »

Tony & Kim Rian (Rian911)
Registered Member
Username: Rian911

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.118.58.211

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   

pulled and replaced the air starter and replaced with a 12 volt starter in our 1989 eagle model 20. Man what a job!!! Those starters are heavy and in hard to reach places. The quandry today is: located the hot wire to the air solenoid and ran that do to the starter. It doesn't appear to have enough voltage to activate the starter. I can take the wire and place it onto the positive side of a battery and it turns over. So for those that have changed out thier airstarter please give me input.
Greg Roberts (Eagle 20) (Gregeagle20)
Registered Member
Username: Gregeagle20

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 66.68.239.237

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   

You must install a 12 volt starter solenoid in the same place as your air start solenoid and run something like 10 gauge wire from a fused source (like from the hot side of the starter motor solenoid) and through the switch an on to the starter motor solenoid. You hit the nail on the head, you need a good strong 12-volt source.
Bill Gerrie (Bill_gerrie)
Registered Member
Username: Bill_gerrie

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 209.50.74.76

Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   

Tony
You must have 4/0 wire to the starter. It is about the size of your thumb or bigger. It comes direct to the starter and a #10 wire to the starter solenoid from a start relay that is operated by your key or push button. Bill
JR Lynch (Njt5047)
Registered Member
Username: Njt5047

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 69.132.234.141

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   

Also may need an equal sized ground lead. I converted an air starter to electric on an MCI and the OEM air sol control lead works without problem...may be the difference between 12 and 24V systems. The starter I bought had a 2/0 ground lead that was attached to the end plate stud on the starter motor. The air starter didn't require a ground. The OEM engine ground may be in poor condition.
Are you certain that the starter sol is good?
As Greg says, you could add a slave solenoid. If you jump directly from the batt to the "S" terminal does the starter work? IF you try this, be certain that the bus is out of gear..and the wheels are blocked. If the starter works, a slave will solve your problem. You can use a Ford style 4 post (or 3 post) automotive solenoid.
Have you checked the voltage at the "S" sol term when you attempt to engage the starter? The voltage may be dropping due to wiring or switch problems.
Try to engage the starter at the starter solenoid. This will rule out starter, solenoid, crank batteries, ground wiring, and battery wiring problems. You could use a "remote" starter button cheaply available at any auto parts store. Attach one lead to the batt sol terminal, and the other lead to the "S" terminal. Press the button and the engine should turn over.
Be careful with bad grounds on DDEC engines...could backfeed and damage something expensive.
JR
Tony & Kim Rian (Rian911)
Registered Member
Username: Rian911

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.118.58.211

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   

I can take the wire from the solenoid and place it onto the pos of either of the batts and the starter turns over now the only problem is getting the darn bus to maintain its fuel prime. Another werid thing was I traced all of the lines from the airstarter back. Of course the huge line back to the big tank also a small line. one to the solenoid up on the firewall by the switch. Then the wired one it connects to the fuel return line up by the tank what the hell I looked in the manuel and it doesn't show this line the manual is very weak on the whole airstart to begain with.
JR Lynch (Njt5047)
Registered Member
Username: Njt5047

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 69.132.234.141

Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   

Remove and plug the fuel line that was attached to the air starter. You have a major fuel leak with the line open. Remove the big 2" hose completely, and the two small control air lines.
The small air starter line with fuel dripping from it must be plugged...that's your fuel "prime" problem. You can plug the line and get it out of the way temporarily. No harm having it there as long as it's plugged.
Sounds like you will need (as Greg said) a slave solenoid.
BTW, plug any port/line that has air escaping. There is an air line that fills the starter air tank that will have to be plugged, if you haven't done so. These line should be removed and plugged. Sorry but I don't know exactly where the lines route on an Eagle...
The starter changeover is a good move! Air starters are a hoot in campgrounds! JR
Sammy (Sammy)
Registered Member
Username: Sammy

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 68.237.213.178

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   

Air starters used a small injection of fuel to keep them lubricated.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration