Marathon XLV 2001 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Marathon XLV 2001 « Previous Next »

LOU MURDICA (Loucon)
Registered Member
Username: Loucon

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 75.209.199.125

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 8:14 am:   

I HAVE OWNED A 1981 MCI 9 FOR 9 YEARS.
I'M LOOKING AT BUYING A 2001 Marathon XLV.
IS THERE ANYTHING TO LOOK AT ON A 2001
THAT I SHOULD KNOW.THEY SAY THIS IS THE YEAR
THE EVERYTHING CHANGED.
Ron Walker (Prevost82)
Registered Member
Username: Prevost82

Post Number: 258
Posted From: 69.10.145.151

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:25 am:   

I think it has independent suspention on the front axle and disk brakes all around. Should be a dream to drive compare to herding your 81 down the road
captain ron (Captain_ron)
Registered Member
Username: Captain_ron

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 66.174.79.229

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   

I drove My friends before he sold it, what a unit.
I hated going back to my bus.
Mark Renner (Boomer)
Registered Member
Username: Boomer

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 12.180.53.193

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   

If it is a 2001 Marathon, then it will be a 2000 shell. I believe Marathon ordered all their shells with ISS when it became available. You won't have any problem with this as long as you make sure to grease ALL of the front end at the regular interval. I have seen high milage ISS componants worn out from neglect. Make sure the air drier always has it's maintenance, because if the air system is neglected, the Norgren valves that control the suspension functions (kneeling, high boy, low boy if so equipped) can give you nightmares when they start to act up. I owned a fleet of new H3-45's and XLII's and we made it a habit to change out these valves periodically. Yours should have the Knorr-Bremse disc brakes all around. They are the best brakes I have ever seen. Just check the pad thickness, and always always always make sure that when you release the park brake, the tag brakes are FULLY released. I have personally seen and heard of several coaches that had the tag calipers slightly hang up, resulting in the brake becoming so hot that it ruined the bearings, hub,tire and yes, several have caught on fire. That is the only quirk in the Knorr brakes-they are wonderful and you can stop on a dime, and they can be relined relatively inexpensevly. If you are anywhere near a Prevost service center, it would be well worth it to have them get under it and check it out for you. They are a beautiful machine. Hope this helps.
LOU MURDICA (Loucon)
Registered Member
Username: Loucon

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 75.211.186.128

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:51 am:   

WHY DO THEY PUT A 2000 SHELL ON A 2001 FRAME
Mark Renner (Boomer)
Registered Member
Username: Boomer

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 12.180.53.193

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   

The shell is the uncompleted bus, ie frame, chassis, void of interior that is purchased by a motorhome converter from the factory. The shells are ordered months in advance, assigned a VIN before built, shipped to the converter, and when the converter finishes, enough time has passed that the coach is normally designated as the next year's model. Thus, a 2000 model Prevost will become a 2001 Marathon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration