Diesel and cold weather Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System » THE ARCHIVES » Year 2006 » December 2006 » Diesel and cold weather « Previous Next »

Mike (Busone)
Registered Member
Username: Busone

Post Number: 335
Posted From: 71.37.166.42

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   

The diesel in my tank is #2 and now that it is getting cold here (20-0F) I know I need to do something to prevent the diesel from gelling. At Wal-Mart they have "power service" additive that claims a quart will prevent 100 gallons of diesel from gelling. Is this any good?
Bob greenwood (Bob_greenwood)
Registered Member
Username: Bob_greenwood

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 4.226.108.126

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   

It's wonderful
Tim McWhorter (Theredwriter)
Registered Member
Username: Theredwriter

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 70.5.179.135

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   

We have used Power Service in our over the road trucks for years and had good results with it. I haven't used it in my bus yet; I haven't been in cold weather yet. Is it okay to use it in two stroke engines? I'm just curious...
Buswarrior (Buswarrior)
Registered Member
Username: Buswarrior

Post Number: 948
Posted From: 69.156.127.194

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 10:46 am:   

Hello.

Maybe save your money?

Bus fuel tank is up inside a compartment out of the wind.

Truck tanks hang out there freezing with the brass monkey...

I wouldn't worry about it until you have to deal with sub-arctic temps.

A busnut is more likely to suffer a problem due to the build up of water in the fuel tank/filter due to the low fuel turn-over and letting the coach sit with a part tank of fuel, promoting condensation on the inside walls.

Fuel stabilizer won't defrost the ice!

As for harm to the motor, if you want to use some stabilizer, use the main brands, and follow the directions. More does not make it better.

Where are our fuel refinery members to enlighten us with some facts?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Mike (Busone)
Registered Member
Username: Busone

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 71.37.166.42

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   

Since my bus is a skoolie the tank is hanging out there in the cold. It is also a front engine so the filters are hanging right out in the cold.

Hopefully condensation will not be a big problem here in the high desert of Idaho. The bus did come with a fuel water separator.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Bruce Henderson (Oonrahnjay)
Registered Member
Username: Oonrahnjay

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 208.34.240.68

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   

BusWarrior said "A busnut is more likely to suffer a problem due to the build up of water in the fuel tank/filter due to the low fuel turn-over and letting the coach sit with a part tank of fuel, promoting condensation on the inside walls.

Fuel stabilizer won't defrost the ice!

As for harm to the motor, if you want to use some stabilizer, use the main brands, and follow the directions. More does not make it better. "

__. I run a diesel VW as my regular passenger car ride. They're *very* finicky about water in the fuel. There are two different kinds of fuel additives ("emulsifiers" and "de-mulsifiers") -- both claim to be the best way to handle water. Anyway, Power Service in the white bottle (the grey bottle doesn't have anti-gel in it) in the winter is supposed to do a good job of keeping your engine from water damage. (Note: A big slug of water from a leaking underground storage tank or something is a completely different deal -- in these conditions, all bets are off.)
George M. Todd (George_mc6)
Registered Member
Username: George_mc6

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 207.231.81.154

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   

Bruce is right, a partially EMPTY tank WILL get condensation in it, with the likely result being a broken injector tip from a steam explosion as the water drops from injection presure and expands as steam.
Diesel and gas are blended for climatic conditions. "Summer fuel" purchased anywhere is different from "winter fuel" purchased in cold climates. Could you get "summer fuel" from a low-volume convenience store in late October? Yep!! Do we all have "summer fuel" in our tanks from our 'after vacation fillup'? If so, add quality anti-gel, fire up, and run for at least ten minutes to mix it with the tank, LINES, and FILTERS! Remember the previous post about "inside" tanks? Well, the fuel lines and filters are all exposed to the elements on every bus built, regardless of its original intended use, a small line will gel first, and that's all it takes to cause a failure to start condition.
Richard Bowyer (Drivingmisslazy)
Registered Member
Username: Drivingmisslazy

Post Number: 1762
Posted From: 75.108.82.163

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   

I do not know if the practice still exists, but many years ago there was also a summer and winter propane mixture. It was a serious problem for those who refilled in the southern states and then traveled into the northern colder climate. The propane would not vaporize below a certain temperature and furnaces, refrigerators, gensets and stoves quit working when the temperature got down to a certain temperature.
I recall a story where a couple froze to death because they got stranded in a snow storm up north somewhere for several days and they had no heat.
Anybody know anything about this?
Richard
FAST FRED (Fast_fred)
Registered Member
Username: Fast_fred

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 4.235.255.46

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   

As far as I understand it the propane is the SAME , but northern propane has a bit of alcohol to work as anti-freez and keep the regulator from freezing.

FAST FRED
Len Silva (Lsilva)
Registered Member
Username: Lsilva

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 71.31.120.102

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   

I believe the propane issue is because people coming from way down south were carrying Butane and not propane. Butane will not vaporize in very cold weather.

Len
R.J.(Bob) Evans (Bobofthenorth)
Registered Member
Username: Bobofthenorth

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 142.165.179.143

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   

Len that's exactly the problem. Its an issue for those of us who travel in Mexico. They routinely sell butane down there and call it propane.
john w. roan (Chessie4905)
Registered Member
Username: Chessie4905

Post Number: 351
Posted From: 71.58.126.56

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   

Add undyed kerosene to it.Or #1 as it is also called.
Tom Caffrey (Pvcces)
Registered Member
Username: Pvcces

Post Number: 1024
Posted From: 65.74.65.54

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   

For those of you who are interested, the reason that LPG is labeled the way it is is because the fuel is a mixture, with varying amounts of propane, butane and some others.

Butane loses it's pressure around freezing and propane goes to around -40 degrees. The mix you get will control the temperature at which you run out of pressure.

I was in BC once when the temperature in the Fort Nelson area dropped to below -40. The residents were reporting that they were running smudge pots under their propane tanks to keep their stoves and furnaces running.

How would you like to build a fire under your propane tank in order for you to keep warm?

I thought that things were getting kind of desperate that winter.

The Volkswagon I was driving wouldn't make any pretense of starting at -30; we had to build a fire under it to get it going. I was glad when I got far enough south to get out of those problems.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Registered Member

Post Number: 422
Posted From: 64.136.49.228

Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 2:55 am:   

It got down to 60 yesterday in Harlingen,Texas...it was terrible
JJ Woden (Jj_woden)
Registered Member
Username: Jj_woden

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 65.19.246.49

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   

Power Service is the favorite around here. One jug treats 300 gallons and sells for $12-$13. We use only #2 with Power Service all winter long with no troubles.
We are getting a heat wave here Bob, it should hit 25 above this afternoon.

I have also had to heat a propane tank to build pressure because I let it get too empty. (A fuller tank would have kept up to the usage)

It has been mentioned before, but just pouring it in the tank may not help for running your bus in the cold if it has not been circulating throughout the fuel system. This is one of the best examples of PM that I can think of. Using anti-gel versus changing out fuel filters on the road because of gelling. (Because they wont gel up in the driveway at 50 above!)

JJ (North Central Montana)
Registered Member

Post Number: 432

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   

no problem so far geling up here,was 81 today,spent most of the day on the new cycle, I think the bus is jellous................
jim morrison (Jim_morrison)
Registered Member
Username: Jim_morrison

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 72.142.29.218

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   

poor Bob it's 30deg's here tonight and snowing i miss the south Bob , now stop the bragging , lol oh and tomorrow it suppose to get cold ,
jim morrison (Jim_morrison)
Registered Member
Username: Jim_morrison

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 72.142.29.218

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   

Bob where did you get those mirror ? i fell in love with the look of them when in Mex, very popular there , and you can see so much more with them , and what year is your baby? jim
Registered Member

Post Number: 433

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   

got the mirrors off ebay.think they came off a new international truck, I inverted them,after seeing pictures of buses in Mexico,The Eagle is a '78
John Zabrocki (John_z)
Registered Member
Username: John_z

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 64.61.224.62

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:04 am:   

Re: tanks being inboard so you don't have to be concerned with them - up here it won't matter if the tank is sitting on the ground or in your bed under the quilts, when it gets darn good and cold, it will reach your tank no matter where it is. Power Service is just very cheap insurance.
Registered Member

Post Number: 442

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:00 am:   

The ducks have it correct,when it gets very cold,go south

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration